Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry...
Quote | Reply
...in a nutshell. On Facebook, a posting to a local tri club:

Quote:
Running friends...Any last minute takers on an Army Ten Miler bib for this weekend??? $50 for the bib. Love this race. Always a fun time !!! I am running it but unfortunately my friend xxxxxxxx won't be able to run it this year.

My attempt at being helpful, quoting from the Ten Miler FAQ:

Quote:
"The online transfer program is closed. The online transfer program normally runs from June 5 through August 24. Registered runners who cannot run may transfer their registration to an unregistered runner during this period only."

The wonderful response from the OP:

Quote:
Well aware of that thanks. People use other bibs all the time. Not like they are going to win the race w 30,000 runners

To which I said

Quote:
It is still wrong, for many reasons that have been explained in many places, and it has very little to do with how fast you are.

And to which I got this response, which sums it all up:

Quote:
save the ethics lesson for someone else.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
...in a nutshell. On Facebook, a posting to a local tri club:

Quote:
Running friends...Any last minute takers on an Army Ten Miler bib for this weekend??? $50 for the bib. Love this race. Always a fun time !!! I am running it but unfortunately my friend xxxxxxxx won't be able to run it this year.

My attempt at being helpful, quoting from the Ten Miler FAQ:

Quote:

"The online transfer program is closed. The online transfer program normally runs from June 5 through August 24. Registered runners who cannot run may transfer their registration to an unregistered runner during this period only."

The wonderful response from the OP:

Quote:
Well aware of that thanks. People use other bibs all the time. Not like they are going to win the race w 30,000 runners

To which I said

Quote:

It is still wrong, for many reasons that have been explained in many places, and it has very little to do with how fast you are.

Quote:

Too bad he's got no skin in the game. If he ends up selling it, the orginal runner and the fucknozzle that purchased it are the real culprits.

I say out him here...If you do, I have a feeling it would be a hoot to follow this thread for the next 48 hours...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So 2018. When getting called out for breaking the rules, dig in and double down instead of quietly going about your day

Quote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really get tired of people always trying to by-pass the rules and then to make it known on social media.

I also vote to out them here and let the attack dogs loose.

That Facebook page will be down in 3, 2, 1...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Selling it? Ew. I guess you could give it away. This would be tougher to do in a USAT sanctioned event where you need a membership at check in.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I really get tired of people always trying to by-pass the rules and then to make it known on social media.

I also vote to out them here and let the attack dogs loose.

That Facebook page will be down in 3, 2, 1...

I'm not going to name names, sorry; the FB page is not that OPs, so I don't know if it can be "disappeared."

But yes, it is sad that people (apparently) knowingly dismiss the rules that make our sport(s) possible, and in such a public manner.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious regarding what's so wrong about if all we're talking about is some pack fill runner?
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because it's wrong.

ThisIsIt wrote:
Just curious regarding what's so wrong about if all we're talking about is some pack fill runner?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, not good form (especially posting it in public), and definitely against the rules, but in all honesty, this is so trivial a transgression, say, compared to the tax shenangians you or your very neighbors routinely engage in (claiming thousands of dollars of charitable expenses, for example), etc. that it's not remotely worth losing sleep or outrage over.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
because it's wrong.

ThisIsIt wrote:

Yes but why. Klehner said for many reasons, I'm just asking what those reasons are.

It's not "costing" the race anything extra is it? Still the one person to consume whatever amenities are on offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
because it's wrong.

ThisIsIt wrote:

Yes but why. Klehner said for many reasons, I'm just asking what those reasons are.

It's not "costing" the race anything extra is it? Still the one person to consume whatever amenities are on offer.

Insurance purposes (runner gets injured and makes a claim, but isn't registered. Does the insurance company hit the RD for responsibility? Runner gets hit by a sag wagon and sues. What happens then?). Identification/notification issues (bib #31415 is registered to John Doe, but Jane Smith is running and gets hit by a car, and John Doe's contact info is used. John Doe's contact is confused and Jane's contact never gets contacted and can't inform the RD that Jane is on blood thinners). Results tabulation (will this result be attributed to the wrong person?).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Yeah, not good form (especially posting it in public), and definitely against the rules, but in all honesty, this is so trivial a transgression, say, compared to the tax shenangians you or your very neighbors routinely engage in (claiming thousands of dollars of charitable expenses, for example), etc. that it's not remotely worth losing sleep or outrage over.

Nobody losing sleep over it (I hope). Still, I didn't realize that moral relativism is in play here.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a small sprint tri I do most years this weekend. It's a beginner race filled mostly with newbies and has a wonderful atmosphere! Lots of mountain bikes and first timers! During the bike a woman who finished second rode outside the cones for a long stretch of road. There were slower athletes bunched up and she chose to not just "dart" outside the cones, but to "ride" outside the cones for most of side of the "square" we were racing on. This race is not USAT sanctioned and there were no marshals.

In transition I told her I was letting the RD know and I hoped she'd be DQ'd. She yelled at me she was being safe and .... I'm not sure what else. She wasn't nice.

Speaking with some other faster athletes at the race, I was shocked to find out they did the same thing. They felt very justified it was the safe thing to do. I can't help but think about the woman in Boulder who was killed pulling outside the cones, and that in a USAT race it's an automatic DQ. Should we not be setting examples for these newbies? When you sign up for a race like this with beginners with one lane to ride in around a 4 mile square do you not expect to have to navigate beginners? Logically that could mean applying your breaks when needed!

Is it safer to slow down, say on your left, and get around within the designated riding lane, or is it safer to go outside the cones into the line of traffic?? I know what I think and was shocked at the justification by competitive athletes in a beginner race. Rules apparently don't apply to everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there double letters involved, on either side?

Third Circle of Hell offense

Quote:
First Circle: People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Race Bandits, Bib-Swappers, Bib-Copiers, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats [may include people having extramarital affairs with a Coach or Running Partner, but not always]
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, The Krzyzewski/Pitino/Calipari Triumvirate and Roger Goodell

This person won't listen either way, so just contact the RD and they'll both get DQ'd

Or https://www.marathoninvestigation.com; even though it's only a Ten Miler, it's a biggie

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you wanted by posting this? Yeah, technically wrong, but on a scale of things to worry about I'd rate it a 2 out of 10,...slightly worse than jaywalking but slightly better than rolling stops in residential areas in my estimation. Life's full of injustices if we look hard enough. Not sure this is worth anyone's battle IMHO. I do NOT think this person should be outed, although I do think it's a bit slimy they're trying to SELL the bib.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
I did a small sprint tri I do most years this weekend. It's a beginner race filled mostly with newbies and has a wonderful atmosphere! Lots of mountain bikes and first timers! During the bike a woman who finished second rode outside the cones for a long stretch of road. There were slower athletes bunched up and she chose to not just "dart" outside the cones, but to "ride" outside the cones for most of side of the "square" we were racing on. This race is not USAT sanctioned and there were no marshals.

In transition I told her I was letting the RD know and I hoped she'd be DQ'd. She yelled at me she was being safe and .... I'm not sure what else. She wasn't nice.

Speaking with some other faster athletes at the race, I was shocked to find out they did the same thing. They felt very justified it was the safe thing to do. I can't help but think about the woman in Boulder who was killed pulling outside the cones, and that in a USAT race it's an automatic DQ. Should we not be setting examples for these newbies? When you sign up for a race like this with beginners with one lane to ride in around a 4 mile square do you not expect to have to navigate beginners? Logically that could mean applying your breaks when needed!

Is it safer to slow down, say on your left, and get around within the designated riding lane, or is it safer to go outside the cones into the line of traffic?? I know what I think and was shocked at the justification by competitive athletes in a beginner race. Rules apparently don't apply to everyone.

This happens all of the time....

I think the safety question is relative to the situation and surrounding factors. Your post would fit in well in the below thread. There are many cases "On your left" will scare riders. I have seen riders over-react and crash when they hear a loud "On your left" many others in the below thread have seen this too.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._your_left__P6742639

Lastly it sounds like everyone in that race was breaking the rules, so shouldn't the newbies be penalized too?

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Are there double letters involved, on either side?

Third Circle of Hell offense

Quote:
First Circle: People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Race Bandits, Bib-Swappers, Bib-Copiers, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats [may include people having extramarital affairs with a Coach or Running Partner, but not always]
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, The Krzyzewski/Pitino/Calipari Triumvirate and Roger Goodell

This person won't listen either way, so just contact the RD and they'll both get DQ'd

Or https://www.marathoninvestigation.com; even though it's only a Ten Miler, it's a biggie

Both the poster who I "talked with" and her friend who has the bib have double letters in their last names. Good call!

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All too common, it would seem, these days. Reminds me of a thread wherein somebody bragged about a sales person at a bike shop forgetting to ring something up so they were stoked about getting "free stuff." When I said that was no better than shoplifting, I was told to get off my high horse.

Quote | Reply
Not sure what you wanted by posting this?

Really? You don't know why someone might not like a poster asking to transfer a race entry when it goes against the rules? No idea at all?

Yeah, technically wrong, but on a scale of things to worry about I'd rate it a 2 out of 10.

So what number does it have to be on your scale before you worry about it and what would someone have to do to make that number?
Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 1, 18 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Both the poster who I "talked with" and her friend who has the bib have double letters in their last names. Good call!

So, wait ....

klehner wrote:

Quote:

That came from a woman? That's more like the kind of response I'd expect form a man [or- if it had to be a woman - a well-placed "brand ambassador" for a women's sportswear company]

Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
klehner wrote:

So, wait ....

klehner wrote:

Quote:

That came from a woman? That's more like the kind of response I'd expect form a man [or- if it had to be a woman - a well-placed "brand ambassador" for a women's sportswear company]

Yeah. Her first name can be used by a man or a woman, but she's a she. Also, just noticed she made this post 9/15 (emphasis added):

Quote:
Any one interested in running the sold out Army Ten Miler in Washington DC on Sunday 7 October??? My friend xxxxxx is not able to run it and will sell it for $60.

And this from a couple of years ago!

Quote:
I have an extra bib for Love half marathon in Philly this Sunday 10 Apr that I can't use. Paid $75 for it but will sell it for $50. Race is sold out. If interested let me know. I would need to get you a copy of my fiancé's license to pick up the bib. FYI race packet pickup is today or tomorrow. You cannot pick up the race packet on Sunday.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread on "on your left". I say it all the time to let them know and am yet to have someone move into me. I 'll certainly think about it from now on. The beginners weren't cheating from what I saw. It was experienced "fast" athletes who chose to ride outside the cones. I chose to slow down and wait until it was safe for me to get around them within the bike lane. Ii didn't lose much time and am happy with my decision. I find the choice / justification people use to break rules, sell bibs, give themselves and advantage over others surprising. I've been doing this sport for a lot of years, and I'm still surprised by it. Even the point the OP made about selling a bib that isn't for sale. Is it really worth the 50 bucks??

D_PRC wrote:
Petrus101 wrote:

This happens all of the time....

I think the safety question is relative to the situation and surrounding factors. Your post would fit in well in the below thread. There are many cases "On your left" will scare riders. I have seen riders over-react and crash when they hear a loud "On your left" many others in the below thread have seen this too.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._your_left__P6742639

Lastly it sounds like everyone in that race was breaking the rules, so shouldn't the newbies be penalized too?
Quote Reply
Re: Ethics of some who would transfer a race entry... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Not sure what you wanted by posting this?

Really? You don't know why someone might not like a poster asking to transfer a race entry when it goes against the rules? No idea at all?

Look, it's a sold out mega race that even allows transfers of bibs. All this person is doing is operating outside the deadline which was likely imposed mainly just for logistical reasons. So yeah, "no idea at all".

Yeah, technically wrong, but on a scale of things to worry about I'd rate it a 2 out of 10.

So what number does it have to be on your scale before you worry about it and what would someone have to do to make that number?

5. I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
RandMart wrote:
klehner wrote:

So, wait ....

klehner wrote:

Quote:

Yeah. Her first name can be used by a man or a woman, but she's a she.

Ahhh, a Jersey Girl. That kind of explains things; her tone, anyway

Judging by her FB, I wouldn't mess with her. She would definitely knock you the fuck out

I say let it go, for now. If someone shows up in the Results with bib number ###### in the results, and you look at finisher pix & it's not on some blonde woman, let the Army 10 Miler RD know you've busted a bib-swapper [if you don't I will, :-)]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a confession to make

Tore the tag off my mattress last night
Quote Reply

Prev Next