Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So people pick IMLOU because of an easy swim but 5445ft of climbing and when does IMLOU sell out? I guess that explains why soooooo many people do IMCA because of an easy swim and 8400ft of climbing?
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were trying to KQ (which I am not) Chattanooga would not be in the top 3 picks to do that. Do people pick races specifically to KQ? They sure do and most will choose flat bikes and runs because that is where the bulk of the time is spent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly! People pick races for different reasons but to say that in general people pick a down current swim race that still has other challenges because its easier is a false assumption.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a known fact that the easiest IM is the one the “other guy” chose to do.

🙂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Exactly! People pick races for different reasons but to say that in general people pick a down current swim race that still has other challenges because its easier is a false assumption.

Yep. Many different reasons. I think for me an interesting/fun course makes a difference. I love the Chattanooga race venue and course. The bike and run are great. Barton Avenue is tough but it’s a big party up there which is fun. I did HIM Wilmington and hated the bike course. Unless an IM course is so far beyond my capabilities as a MOPer I don’t consider much how the course affects my race time unless I won’t make the cutoffs or something. IM Louisville is on my list as that sounds interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
So people pick IMLOU because of an easy swim but 5445ft of climbing and when does IMLOU sell out?

Some people..... yes they do.

You are the one that said that people don't pick a race because it's an easy swim. That's anything but true.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
So people pick IMLOU because of an easy swim but 5445ft of climbing and when does IMLOU sell out?

Some people..... yes they do.

You are the one that said that people don't pick a race because it's an easy swim. That's anything but true.

I would guess that the vast majority of people are one-n-done and simply pick the IM closest to where they live because that's what the majority of people in their area are doing. If people decide to enter a second ironman and are willing to drive further, then other factors come to play such as the the difficulty of the course. When you get to people who will fly to an Ironman there are a whole lot of other factors going into the decision, course factors for the competitive athletes and vacation plans for the others.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Patrick E wrote:
mickison wrote:
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:
Legit-friend is racing....bummer for him, he's the fastest swimmer I know...

Your friend should have picked a different race altogether given the downstream swim takes away his advantage.

And overall thoughts, bummer for the swim to be cancelled for some but I figure most people pick this race because it is the easiest/fastest "IM Swim" of the circuit so I imagine many finishers are happy about this.

I think you’re right but pretty sure they won’t be whistling Dixie trudging up Barton Avenue. ;)

Chattanooga is a great race venue though. One of my favorite places to race.

Yes. I love how everyone has to take a crack at this swim course every time the race is mentioned. Hardest Ironman run course I've done. More than makes up for the fast swim.

Ummm, yeah, in strictly math terms you are correct but, uh, i hate be impolite but the swim, bike, and run are three distinct skill sets, and separate parts of the race. The 4 extra miles on the B and the hills on the run do not "make up for the short swim". The 2.4 mile (3.86 km) swim is already way short compared to the B and R, and making it downstream just makes a joke of it. A real three sport event would have a 7.0 mile (11.25 km) swim, non-current assisted, to go with the B and R. However, if you want a hilly run like Chattanooga, then we will make half the swim against the current. Can't finish the swim??? Bummer but work on your swim and try again next year.

+1* and this is coming from someone who is definitely NOT a fish despite my 52 min. swim PB at Chatt last year
*7 miles is a bit crazy for me, in my perfect life, it would be a 6k swim (4x Oly dist), a Century on the bike (about 4x oly and a non-arbitrary distance) + marathon (Ok, a bit of an arbitrary dist but still ~4x Oly). Oh my real swim PB is 1:06 at placid.

Ya, 4X Oly Dist would be much fairer than the traditional iron distances. The ITU Long Distance Champs used to kinda sorta almost do this; for several yrs it was a 4K/120K/30K but now down to 3K on swim.

Also, your 1:06 is quite respectable. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
If I were trying to KQ (which I am not) Chattanooga would not be in the top 3 picks to do that. Do people pick races specifically to KQ? They sure do and most will choose flat bikes and runs because that is where the bulk of the time is spent.

This doesn't make sense to me. KQ is not based off a time standard, but how you actually place at that race. I would think you would want to go to the race with the fewest fast guys. If all the fast guys are going to flat courses (and I don't know that that is true), then I would think you'd want to go to the non-flat courses.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked IM Louisville for my three IM races because I lived close (Lexington, 75 miles away). I had a free place to stay each time (family). I trained on the swim and bike course often over three years. My wife did IM Louisville because it is her hometown, even though we drove in from 600 miles away. I was looking at her framed medal/bib and noted that now that we are actually living in Louisville, we may have to do the race in 2019.

You read it here first: 1 finished basement for rent (bedroom, living area, bathroom, laundry) for rent during IM Louisville 2019. You must like dogs.

Back to the swim discussion: swimming is short compared to the other events. That means that much less separates FOP swimmers from MOP/BOP. (X)OP is much more important as a factor in biking and running. For people trying to KQ, there's a bit less to worry about in terms of how much effort to put into swim training, because, let's face it, 3-5 or more minutes means relatively little, especially if training for those 3-5 minutes comes at the expense of 8-15 minutes on the bike. With the swim cut-off times as generous as they are (yes, I said it), a one-n-done IM'er or a very weak swimmer can be assured that they'll make it, and, more to the point, have to devote less time to swimming overall, or not worry about safety issues. To be completely honest, a 2:20 cut-off in a swim (especially downstream) isn't even really a test of swimming: 140 minutes to swim 2.4 miles is 3:41/100m, and probably the equivalent of 3:55 with a current. Chattanooga and Louisville are really good choices for these swimmers, and helped out by the fact that both are an easy drive from pretty much the entire country east of the Mississippi River, excluding the upper Midwest and New England. Similar things can be said about wet suit.

My wife is probably on the edge of the MOP-BOP swim barrier, and she was whooshed down the Mighty Ohio River in 1:14, when I was expecting probably 1:30+, given her training. Which has me asking this question: how bad a swimmer must that 1:21 guy in my AG have been especially since his whole day was 10:03? Goes to show you that I got absolutely NOTHING out of swimming it in :57:01, and finishing my day in 11:18. 24 minutes separated our swims, but he completed the last two legs and transitions 89 minutes faster than I did. It's obvious that I trained too much swimming over the build-up, and didn't do enough biking. It's probably better to say I didn't need to swim but maybe 5000m/week in training, and should have used the 3-4 days/week in the saddle and on the run. Next time...
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your a KQ you want to go to events that play to your strengths and limit your weaknesses. Race like IM Choo imo is perfect for a weak swimmer but strong bike/run ESPECIALLY now that the swim is straight up cancelled. Its also why a poor swimmer and strong biker would be annoyed with IM TX because the draft pack affect. There would be really no separation there and you can “sit in” much more.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody in Chatt happen to have an extra Giro Aerohead visor I could buy from you? Mine got cracked in half while shipping it with TBT..

0 for Every bike shop in diving distance on a replacement...

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
It's probably better to say I didn't need to swim but maybe 5000m/week in training, and should have used the 3-4 days/week in the saddle and on the run. Next time...

I know yours is not a popular opinion here but I agree with you. I would qualify that one needs to consider their goals, current swim capability, overall fitness, etc. I'm not a fast swimmer for sure and didn't grow up swimming but I'm not a god awful swimming and tend towards the MOP-ish in the Ironman events. I worked with a coach for my first IM (only HIMs before that) and swim was not a big concern. I was mostly in the 5500m/week for the swim with her plan. For my goals, it just wasn't worth it to put in the amount of swim volume needed to significantly improve my swim. I'm not shooting for FOP or anything. I will say she did get me fit enough so that for all my triathlons last year I was must fresher out of the water. But that's just me and that plan worked for my goals
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Anybody in Chatt happen to have an extra Giro Aerohead visor I could buy from you? Mine got cracked in half while shipping it with TBT..

So you shipped a gear bag and they dropped it in a game of toss? pink/maybe
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:

So you shipped a gear bag and they dropped it in a game of toss? pink/maybe

Yeahhhhh in know. First bad result in 5 tries with them. Guess I was due.

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:

I don't, but will just add that my Aerohead visor cracked just being in a backpack sitting in a car for a long drive. They don't seem to be very sturdy.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:

I don't, but will just add that my Aerohead visor cracked just being in a backpack sitting in a car for a long drive. They don't seem to be very sturdy.

I've been hearing that now I've seen some proof. Luckily I got in touch with the crew running the expo and they are bringing one tomorrow.

Thanks for the DM tips everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
The swim is the shortest part of any IM. Its not that hard and a faster swim doesn't make any IM easier nor is it the reason people pick a race in general. IMAZ and IMFL sell out quickly and those swims are not fast in general. How often does the first person out of the water win? The swim is a warm-up....the run is where Ironman dreams go to die.

I don't know why i even bother to keep responding but my point is that the swim should not be "just a warm-up". I fully realize that the idea of a longer swim is unpopular but, if "Ironman racing" ever wants to be more than a commercial thing, if an "Ironman" is to be a real sport, then it needs to be an equal test, e.g. the swim needs to be longer. No doubt 7 miles is too much but, if you increased the swim D gradually, say to 3 miles first yr, 3.5 2nd yr, 4 mi the 3rd yr, you could prob get most aspiring "Ironmen" to do a 4-mile swim, which would make the IM race dist close to 4 times the Oly dist race. Most people don't even know what the IM distances are now unless they are triathletes themselves.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
The swim is the shortest part of any IM. Its not that hard and a faster swim doesn't make any IM easier nor is it the reason people pick a race in general. IMAZ and IMFL sell out quickly and those swims are not fast in general. How often does the first person out of the water win? The swim is a warm-up....the run is where Ironman dreams go to die.

I don't know why i even bother to keep responding but my point is that the swim should not be "just a warm-up". I fully realize that the idea of a longer swim is unpopular but, if "Ironman racing" ever wants to be more than a commercial thing, if an "Ironman" is to be a real sport, then it needs to be an equal test, e.g. the swim needs to be longer. No doubt 7 miles is too much but, if you increased the swim D gradually, say to 3 miles first yr, 3.5 2nd yr, 4 mi the 3rd yr, you could prob get most aspiring "Ironmen" to do a 4-mile swim, which would make the IM race dist close to 4 times the Oly dist race. Most people don't even know what the IM distances are now unless they are triathletes themselves.

IM doesn't care about this being accepted as anything more than a way to profit. As most other non-IM branded organizations have figured out, that long term profit deal is very hard to accomplish. Swimming is already the least popular part of any IM so you go and increase it and the number of participants will very likely go down (and thus profit as well).

Plus, the idea of giving the IM swim "equal footing", compared to the B and R, is ridiculous. The current IM distances were not just made up to create a sport. The distances were based on Chuck Norris going for a workout in Hawaii, some people followed him as he SBR, and then they started calling the 2.4/112/26.2 an IM
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Patrick E wrote:
mickison wrote:
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:
Legit-friend is racing....bummer for him, he's the fastest swimmer I know...

Your friend should have picked a different race altogether given the downstream swim takes away his advantage.

And overall thoughts, bummer for the swim to be cancelled for some but I figure most people pick this race because it is the easiest/fastest "IM Swim" of the circuit so I imagine many finishers are happy about this.

I think you’re right but pretty sure they won’t be whistling Dixie trudging up Barton Avenue. ;)

Chattanooga is a great race venue though. One of my favorite places to race.

Yes. I love how everyone has to take a crack at this swim course every time the race is mentioned. Hardest Ironman run course I've done. More than makes up for the fast swim.

I've had that thought as well (haven't done the race). People complaining about the quick swim, but the bike is 116, right? That's more than 12 extra minutes of biking for 80% of the field. Exactly how fast is the swim? More than 12 minutes?

It was more than 12 minutes when I did it.....and I wasn't swimming with much effort.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many WTC events have with current swims

IM/HIM Chattanooga
IM Wilmington
IM Louisville (at least part of it)
HIM Augusta
HIM Williamsburg

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I wonder how many WTC events have with current swims

IM/HIM Chattanooga
IM Wilmington
IM Louisville (at least part of it)
HIM Augusta
HIM Williamsburg

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Louisville is all current...you swim against it for 1400m, and with it for the rest. Not a really fast swim, though.

Augusta is ridiculous. I remember getting swept under a bridge the last time I raced there. It felt like the ocean current in Finding Nemo.

Wilmington (IM NC) is ridiculously fast...if the tide is coming in when you do the swim. It's tough if the tides are going out.

Chattanooga would had prob rivaled all of those above, although I don't see how it'd be safe to swim in a current faster than Augusta.

Haven't raced Williamsburg.
Quote Reply

Prev Next