Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED
Quote | Reply
Just saw on the facebook page that the swim was cancelled and that the run course will be altered, believe due to rain.
Last edited by: STConcierge: Sep 27, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Do you have a link? I don't see it listed on the main or event page.

Well that's a bummer as this is my first full distance...

Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the official race page, somebody posted to the Facebook group titled IRONMAN Chattanooga 144.6. It was posted from the athlete briefing. TVA made the call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legit-friend is racing....bummer for him, he's the fastest swimmer I know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday the riverwalk was closed. There is no way to safely hold the swim. Areas around Chattanooga received over 11" of rain in 3 days Mon-Wed. That's a shit ton of water.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somebody posted a video of the river and it was like a rapid. and yeah flooding happened becuase they had to increase the flow. real bummer
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [PomDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FB Link here:
Official statement apparently to be posted later

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Sep 27, 18 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:

Your friend should have picked a different race altogether given the downstream swim takes away his advantage.

And overall thoughts, bummer for the swim to be cancelled for some but I figure most people pick this race because it is the easiest/fastest "IM Swim" of the circuit so I imagine many finishers are happy about this.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
River is up over the landing where swim exit would be.
That's also a part of the run course.
Swim squashed due to fast current and ecoli. River will crest 3 more feet by Saturday night. No way it will be down enough for race time, nor safe to swim in.

Run course is going to be modified, keeping the full distance.

142.2 > 140.6

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:

Your friend should have picked a different race altogether given the downstream swim takes away his advantage.

And overall thoughts, bummer for the swim to be cancelled for some but I figure most people pick this race because it is the easiest/fastest "IM Swim" of the circuit so I imagine many finishers are happy about this.

I think you’re right but pretty sure they won’t be whistling Dixie trudging up Barton Avenue. ;)

Chattanooga is a great race venue though. One of my favorite places to race.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
especially not 3x up barton if that's true!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:

I think you’re right but pretty sure they won’t be whistling Dixie trudging up Barton Avenue. ;)

Yes. I love how everyone has to take a crack at this swim course every time the race is mentioned. Hardest Ironman run course I've done. More than makes up for the fast swim.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
mickison wrote:
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:

Yes. I love how everyone has to take a crack at this swim course every time the race is mentioned. Hardest Ironman run course I've done. More than makes up for the fast swim.

I've had that thought as well (haven't done the race). People complaining about the quick swim, but the bike is 116, right? That's more than 12 extra minutes of biking for 80% of the field. Exactly how fast is the swim? More than 12 minutes?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
somebody posted a video of the river and it was like a rapid. and yeah flooding happened becuase they had to increase the flow. real bummer

So youre saying people missed out on PB swim splits...

*pink. Sort of
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
mickison wrote:
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:

Ummm, yeah, in strictly math terms you are correct but, uh, i hate be impolite but the swim, bike, and run are three distinct skill sets, and separate parts of the race. The 4 extra miles on the B and the hills on the run do not "make up for the short swim". The 2.4 mile (3.86 km) swim is already way short compared to the B and R, and making it downstream just makes a joke of it. A real three sport event would have a 7.0 mile (11.25 km) swim, non-current assisted, to go with the B and R. However, if you want a hilly run like Chattanooga, then we will make half the swim against the current. Can't finish the swim??? Bummer but work on your swim and try again next year.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man you are the poster child of swimmersRUS! IM Chattanooga is no easy race and I swim just fine :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swim is the shortest part of any IM. Its not that hard and a faster swim doesn't make any IM easier nor is it the reason people pick a race in general. IMAZ and IMFL sell out quickly and those swims are not fast in general. How often does the first person out of the water win? The swim is a warm-up....the run is where Ironman dreams go to die.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
nor is it the reason people pick a race in general.

Tons of people pick IMCHOO and IMLOU for the easy current assisted swim.

Scottxs wrote:
IMAZ and IMFL sell out quickly and those swims are not fast in general.

IMFL does not sell out quicky anymore. It was June or July before the race actually sold out this year.

Scottxs wrote:
The swim is a warm-up....the run is where Ironman dreams go to die.

And yet, this attitude/stance is one of the many reasons why so many people are walking on the run in an IM.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not saying it was hard, but I think 1400 m of LOU is upstream.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IMCHOO swim / course alterations SWIM CANCELLED [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BOOOO!!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
nor is it the reason people pick a race in general.

Tons of people pick IMCHOO and IMLOU for the easy current assisted swim.

That's bad strategy because the bike is no joke at Louisville and the run is no joke at Chattanooga

Scottxs wrote:
IMAZ and IMFL sell out quickly and those swims are not fast in general.

IMFL does not sell out quicky anymore. It was June or July before the race actually sold out this year.

Too much supply is the reason.

Scottxs wrote:
The swim is a warm-up....the run is where Ironman dreams go to die.

And yet, this attitude/stance is one of the many reasons why so many people are walking on the run in an IM.

I would say people over-biking is the #1 reason people walk on the run.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 It’s pretty clear very few want that race setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Patrick E wrote:
mickison wrote:
hadukla wrote:
pots4 wrote:

Ummm, yeah, in strictly math terms you are correct but, uh, i hate be impolite but the swim, bike, and run are three distinct skill sets, and separate parts of the race. The 4 extra miles on the B and the hills on the run do not "make up for the short swim". The 2.4 mile (3.86 km) swim is already way short compared to the B and R, and making it downstream just makes a joke of it. A real three sport event would have a 7.0 mile (11.25 km) swim, non-current assisted, to go with the B and R. However, if you want a hilly run like Chattanooga, then we will make half the swim against the current. Can't finish the swim??? Bummer but work on your swim and try again next year.

+1* and this is coming from someone who is definitely NOT a fish despite my 52 min. swim PB at Chatt last year

*7 miles is a bit crazy for me, in my perfect life, it would be a 6k swim (4x Oly dist), a Century on the bike (about 4x oly and a non-arbitrary distance) + marathon (Ok, a bit of an arbitrary dist but still ~4x Oly). Oh my real swim PB is 1:06 at placid.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
a faster swim doesn't make any IM easier

100% disagree. A current assisted swim that only takes 50% of the energy of a standard swim will leave you far fresher for the bike and run.

A lot of the time dreams die during the run in Iron Man is because people burn too many candles surviving the swim because they're not properly trained for it.

Since the swim is so relatively short in an Iron Man, it's really about being able to get out of water fresh, not necessarily fast. A downstream swim helps a tremendous amount in that respect.

And people definitely do pick races based on this one. I look for ones that have a more challenging swim so that I can maximize my advantages in the swim. I know weak swimmers to look for the easiest swim possible.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCHOO swim / course alterations [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many people pick course that have flat bike and run legs as well. I have friends who bounce between IM Florida and IM Texas because they want flat bike and run. They even consider the bike courses for HIM Chattanooga and Augusta too hilly. I know I’m not a fast swimmer (generally MOP-ish) so my focus in the swim is minimizing the energy I expend in the swim. I’m not FOP so I’m just making sure I don’t burn too many candles a d really affect my bike and run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next