Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
I really like to watch swim portion of these races... I think last year they added the number marked on swim caps to help a little bit following the live race... how difficult would it be to have spotters at 500m-1000m-1500m-half-way and 3000m to provide real splits.

I don't want to go the expensive route where the technology already exist to have a full accurate split going under a floating arch,
weather waves, ensuring everyone goes under this tight arch etc... not a good investment and money spent but...

It could be fun to extrapolate the time they would go by these spotters... we would know the gaps, also could calculate the pace, and maybe estimate
completion time of the swim...

Yeah, I know it's too much to ask.. but if we don't it won't happen. Andrew Messick if you reading this... ;)

At least, it would give Michael, Dede and Greg more to speak on the Facebook Ironman now channel during the swim...

This is the information Matt Lieto gives us from a boat during the swim.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
MTL wrote:
I really like to watch swim portion of these races... I think last year they added the number marked on swim caps to help a little bit following the live race... how difficult would it be to have spotters at 500m-1000m-1500m-half-way and 3000m to provide real splits.

I don't want to go the expensive route where the technology already exist to have a full accurate split going under a floating arch,
weather waves, ensuring everyone goes under this tight arch etc... not a good investment and money spent but...

It could be fun to extrapolate the time they would go by these spotters... we would know the gaps, also could calculate the pace, and maybe estimate
completion time of the swim...

Yeah, I know it's too much to ask.. but if we don't it won't happen. Andrew Messick if you reading this... ;)

At least, it would give Michael, Dede and Greg more to speak on the Facebook Ironman now channel during the swim...

This is the information Matt Lieto gives us from a boat during the swim.

I saw it last year... but would like to have multiple spot at precise location, and displayed on Ironman Now...

Example:
At 500m
Josh in 5:50 at 1:10 pace/100m predict time 45:30 mins (I know faster away out - he will slow down coming back with current... ;)
Javier in 6:10 back 20 secs - 1:14 pace/100m
Sanders in 6:40 back 50 secs - 1:20 pace/100m

And then see 1000m, 1500m...

Making things a little more exciting to viewers and the peanut gallery experts...
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel has the WR beer miler on the island for run training, I love it! Obviously Corey is an awesome runner but the polarizing figure that Lionel is on this forum, having a ‘beer miler’ training with him adds another layer. I love it and am pulling for Lionel to nail Hawaii and watch the Fallout, here on Slowtwitch!
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the information Matt Lieto gives us from a boat during the swim. //

And no offense to Matt, but don't forget my running commentary here on the race day thread. As long as they keep giving us those great overhead and on water shots, it is an easy race to call if you know the players and strategies. And I pay particular attention to the swim for some reason. (-;.
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll go against the trend and say sanders is in the first group
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
I’ll go against the trend and say sanders is in the first group.

Maybe you're simply being a contrarian but given that Gomez and the other top swimmers have gone 15:30ish (1:02/100 m) for 1500 scm vs Sanders at 18:30ish (1:14/100 m), he's around 3 min back over 1500 m, or about 7.5ish minutes over 3800 m. It's pretty much impossible to hold the feet of someone going 12 sec/100 m faster, not to mention that the fastest guys will go out at something like 1:00 per 100 scm so that they drop all the slower swimmers. In summary, i'd put Lionel at 7 min back of the lead swimmer.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good points

Ok I’ll say he is less than 6 mins or less back from the first one out of the water

Remember he actually has a swim coach this go round :)
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Very good points. OK, I’ll say he is less than 6 min or less back from the first one out of the water. Remember he actually has a swim coach this go round :)

Well, we'll see in just over 3 weeks, and we can compare notes then. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: How many minutes will Lionel Sanders be back from front pack? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I took the easy way out, we both know it lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next