Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I only ride for fitness and pleasure these days, I have not replaced the Oval wheels.

I have been using Garmin Vectors since they gave me some when they first came out.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
But why did they have to ruin it with that splined 3T rail-clamp? That thing is made of butter and lacks the fine adjustments. It's inferior compared to every other clamping system I've encountered.

My AR is an early production run that came with the cone style seat clamp (i.e. infinitely adjustable). I wanted the splined style with the isolator, but it wasn't meant to be due to supply issues (hindsight, I got lucky). I do have the splined version on my U.P. and am unable to get my seat level, which is slightly annoying. And you're right on durability; though, I am running steel rails with the UP. So, I figure it will do better than those with the oval rail deal. Anyhow, I am in agreement on that splined deal being poop.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
tessar wrote:
But why did they have to ruin it with that splined 3T rail-clamp? That thing is made of butter and lacks the fine adjustments. It's inferior compared to every other clamping system I've encountered.

My AR is an early production run that came with the cone style seat clamp (i.e. infinitely adjustable). I wanted the splined style with the isolator, but it wasn't meant to be due to supply issues (hindsight, I got lucky). I do have the splined version on my U.P. and am unable to get my seat level, which is slightly annoying. And you're right on durability; though, I am running steel rails with the UP. So, I figure it will do better than those with the oval rail deal. Anyhow, I am in agreement on that splined deal being poop.

remind me again, when did the new frames come out? 1st gen is basically brake near the junction of seat stays, while 2nd gen is brake near the BB, correct? Also, what's the difference btwn the FRD framesets and the ones found on the FR? Lastly, the bike is either mech or electronic, correct (that is to say mech can't be retrofitted for Di2)?
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
remind me again, when did the new frames come out? 1st gen is basically brake near the junction of seat stays, while 2nd gen is brake near the BB, correct?

2014 is when the new and latest Felt Aero Road was released. I have an early run of this model which came with a different fixing/adjustment mech for the saddle, but all else is identical to the current model (frame/fork wise). This is the bike with the BB mounted brake.

echappist wrote:
Also, what's the difference btwn the FRD framesets and the ones found on the FR?

FRD is the lightest version of the Felt Aero Road with a different layup, material, and construction (di2 only)

echappist wrote:
Lastly, the bike is either mech or electronic, correct (that is to say mech can't be retrofitted for Di2)?

Kind of. Mech can be converted to Di2, but the reverse does not hold true. My AR1 has been setup with both configs and I prefer Di2 greatly to the RED I originally fit to it even if the latter was much lighter.

ETA: Just went to felt's website and it has the AR1 frame pricing at $2999? I could have sworn it was at $2499 not too long ago, but I could be mistaken. That extra $500 is kind of pushing the value prospect out a bit, but still a solid bike.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Sep 17, 18 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. @LAI was particularly persuasive, and I ended up getting a Felt AR2. Swapped out a bunch of parts, put in a bunch of parts, and after some 20 hours (mostly duplicating position and trying to thread Di2 cables through my handlebar), it's finally done, for now. WOuld be nice to have Omega X brakes, but I can wait for that.

The lady isn't on the svelte side, but that's okay. Unlike a few years ago when I bought the Scott Foil, I now have no illusion of being a climber, only someone who may do decently on the climbs. 17.5 in current trim, maybe low 16s when I use my Stinger 6 tubulars, and i'm okay with that (corresponding foil would be ~15.5 lbs).

Quote Reply
Re: What rim-brake aero road bike would you buy [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bianchi Oltre XR4.... beautiful.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply

Prev Next