Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What rim-brake aero road bike would you buy
Quote | Reply
I'm (most likely) retired from mass start road racing, but am considering participating in Merckx-style TTs (no aerobars).

My current bike is a Scott Foil, which has served me well for the past five years. However, some of its parts are breaking down, and I'm looking to get another bike that's hopefully more aero. My current set-up is mostly regular components, save for the usage of an aero road bar (Zipp Vuka Sprint). Side-on photo below.

I'm really not interested in getting a disc-brake bike, so that really limits me to the last generation of bikes, plus the Madone and the Foil. Thing with the Foil is that it doesn't appear to be all that aero of a bike, and probably not much better than what I currently have (the gains appears to come mostly from swapping a regular handlebar to an aero road handlebar). I guess there's also a Pinarello, but that bike is prohibitively expensive. What other proven performers are there?

Last edited by: echappist: Sep 16, 18 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy for EMX TTs [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hard to go past Felt AR and Cervelo S5.
On the rare occasions we have a Merckx style TT I ride my steel (non aero) Eddy Merckx MXL. Just because.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the testing of rim brake bikes I have seen put the Venge Vias and Madone 9 at the top of the heap. Felt AR and Cervelo S5 are certainly right up there as the next best bikes.

The one thing I would consider is how you could or would run an aerobar. Given the way you are positioned on the Scott, I would go with the Venge Vias with their specific aero bar. Madone would need to be the low-end 9 or put regular bars on the higher end models. Cervelo won't work with their bar. The ENVE road bars with their specific clip-ons are a good idea for a quality setup, but they aren't cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
All of the testing of rim brake bikes I have seen put the Venge Vias and Madone 9 at the top of the heap. Felt AR and Cervelo S5 are certainly right up there as the next best bikes.

The one thing I would consider is how you could or would run an aerobar. Given the way you are positioned on the Scott, I would go with the Venge Vias with their specific aero bar. Madone would need to be the low-end 9 or put regular bars on the higher end models. Cervelo won't work with their bar. The ENVE road bars with their specific clip-ons are a good idea for a quality setup, but they aren't cheap.

Well, I am on my aerobars in those photos; though they are of the invisible variety ;)

Jest aside, this bike will be used as a main training bike and for racing Merckx TT, where actual aerobars aren't allowed.

do you happen to know if bikes from other companies should be considered (Aeroad, Boardman, perhaps Ridleys?). I hesitate buying a disc brake bike, as i'm not sure if those could really be all that aero as claimed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also go with Cervelo S5, with Zipp or Cervelo aero road bars.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuji Norcom Straight + some really aero bars + good aero wheels = winning at half the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Fuji Norcom Straight + some really aero bars + good aero wheels = winning at half the cost.

That sounds like a TT bike, not an aero road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait 4 days for new S5/S3 announcement. If you really don’t want disc previous years’ S5s are on some great deals
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Wait 4 days for new S5/S3 announcement. If you really don’t want disc previous years’ S5s are on some great deals

how are their build qualities these days? i've heard that they had issues with paint chipping, seat post slipping in the past
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never experienced either in 15 years of Cervelo ownership but that is just my own personal experience
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doh! I meant the Transonic. (My excuse for confusing the two is that I own both.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orbea Orca Aero is a pretty fresh design, and available with rim brakes.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim brake + Aero + fast enough for Mercx TTs? That's the Madone.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance the ability to flip a seatpost to get a steeper angle like with a felt AR would be beneficial? I have no idea, just seems like if the OP is rocking the invisible aerobar position already that might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Well, I am on my aerobars in those photos; though they are of the invisible variety ;)

Jest aside, this bike will be used as a main training bike and for racing Merckx TT, where actual aerobars aren't allowed.

do you happen to know if bikes from other companies should be considered (Aeroad, Boardman, perhaps Ridleys?). I hesitate buying a disc brake bike, as i'm not sure if those could really be all that aero as claimed.

Ha. Yes I am the master of the virtual aero bar. If you are only doing Merckx TTs, than I would pick a Madone. Pavement iseems to be only getting rougher and Madone is unique amongst aero bike with Isospeed butt saver.

I have never seen the Ridley test well, though that does not include their newest design. You would think that a company that is a partial owner in a dedicated windtunnel would be making some good stuff. Their older road models never tested well in comparative windtunnel tests with their funky fork designs. The new stuff has dropped the slotted fork and rough paint. I would guess they are putting that windtunnel to good use. I have never seen a Boardman in the windtunnel, but I would think their 2020 model line will look quite different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting you are allowed to lay your arms across the bars like that. Our local TT series specifically forbids it:

• Class is designed for those without a designated time trial bike/other equipment to use in a time trial. The class is designed for basic road bikes without aftermarket speed/aerodynamic enhancements.
  • Standard/stock road bikes, no time trial bikes/frames.
  • Rider can be any age.
  • Standard handlebars, no aero-bars/drop in’s/clip-ons etc.
  • No aero/deep dish wheels . 32 mm maximum rim depth.
  • No after market forks.
  • No aero helmets, shoe covers, or skinsuits.
  • Riders are not allowed to lie on the handlebars in an aero position. Hands must be on handlebars at all times. If seen, you will be disqualified. This is a safety issue, yours and the riders around you.
  • Promoter has final approval over all equipment.

Personally, I'd go Madone, Venge, or Canyon Aeroroad (although the Canyon probably isn't as fast, but is a really comfortable bike when you aren't racing on it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a felt AR but the foils are still sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own an AR; I love it.

Having said that, I've slowly been looking at a new bike as I've had it 4 years now.

My short list includes the propel disc, madone, and foil. I'd also consider the venge vias as they seem to be on bargain clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
  • Riders are not allowed to lie on the handlebars in an aero position. Hands must be on handlebars at all times. If seen, you will be disqualified. This is a safety issue, yours and the riders around you.

That's exactly what pros do on road bikes in a breakaway to conserve energy. But it is dangerous for schmucks who don't practice it or race doing it to try to imitate, and cause crashes.

Especially if this is a TT where to save time, they do starts such that by the end you've got the slowest and fastest riders almost on the course passing each other.

In real races where the TT bike is disallowed for some reason, you can totally do that. But, you're expected to be good enough to do that anyway. And you won't have dozens of people on course at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

The Canyon Aeroad is available in both rim brake and disc brake versions. I got the disc brake version and a cousin of mine has the rim brake version. We both absolutely love the bikes. Overall fit is long and low which is probably valuable if you want to use it for EM TT's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the Canyon Aeroroad CF SLX 9.0 disc. (brutal name, I know). I found mine to be ~10% faster than my other road bikes on the same circuits. It's comfortable and feels fast. The e-tap shifting is awesome. My only change to the stock build was a different saddle. Love the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argon 18 nitrogen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highly recommend checking out the Argon NItrogen/Nitrogen Pro aero road bike. Integrated brakes. Very stiff and aero. I am loving mine. Been riding it about 3 months now and it has become my favorite bike to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What aero road bike would you buy [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next