Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always wondered what he was like as a mayor, since when I left I only knew him as the disaster man voice

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Still cheaper than NYC and Alcatraz!

And if you maximize the free post-race beer, you can make up a large part of the entry fee. ;-)

Unless you’re a local, the entry fee is a drop in the bucket of the overall cost once you factor in bringing your family over, lodging, rental car, etc. The great thing about an Oly is it won’t ruin the rest of your vacation.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
hadukla wrote:
When I google it, the TNT link shows u first as a sponsored link. I know once of the coaches for the NYC TNT contingent, I can ask him. Sad to hear that it isn't selling out. Now that I am on the west coast and closer to home, I plan to get home for this race every other year, alternating between Honu and Lavaman. I heard the Hilo tri shut down? Not sure it had much popularity outside it's first year. Also sad to hear, if true.

Our family did the relay all but the last year. To me it seemed that participation grew after the first year, which weather wise was pretty bad. The last year they cancelled the swim, probably unnecessarily. Anyway the mayor at the time was the driving force for the event. He termed out and our current mayor is a tightwad with no interest in promoting tourism on the east side.

Billy Kenoi? For all his faults, he had vision. And damn ... he kept moving at the IMWC in 2014 and got it done. He has serious health issues now, I wish him the best. The current mayor (version 2) is nothing more than a place holder. Sometimes being mayor means keeping things like the Hilo tri running.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 20, 18 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He never did get any serious trouble for the expense scandal with Messick, did he? or was that found to be OK? idk, I only heard about the uproar then nothing after that.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
He never did get any serious trouble for the expense scandal with Messick, did he? or was that found to be OK? idk, I only heard about the uproar then nothing after that.

He went to trial, found not guilty on all counts. Billy was very popular. Only a few people had it in for him. He did more for the Big Island in his 8 years than the previous 24 years of Mayors.

He is very ill at the moment. Might be back in CA for treatment at this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
One odd thing though I've noted for next years race...

It wasn't sold out. It usually sells out fast. Does anyone know offhand, whether Team in Training has dropped it as one of "their" races?

No, not dropped. On the schedule for 2019.

http://www.teamintraining.org/...n-waikoloa-triathlon

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply

Prev Next