Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lavaman - Waikoloa
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitch,

Anyone done Lavaman or have thoughts to share on the race and venue?

http://www.lavamantriathlon.com/waikoloa/

The date lines up nicely with Spring Break for the kids (15 and 13) and the race looks like a nice excuse for Dad to plan a trip to Hawaii. We visit Hawaii annually, generally Maui, but have never visited the Big Island.

Anyone here have anything to say about that? Is the race a good experience? Meaning; competitive, scenic, well managed? Is the area enjoyable as a vacation destination for a family of four?

All input welcome.

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it as a spring break trip. As nicely done as any Olympic race I've done. Takes place at a Hilton Resort. Swim is really nice ocean swim over a coral reef. Bike is a portion of the Queen K IM course and the run is around the resort and partially along an original oceanfront trail.

The Big Island is great for a family vacation. A little more outdoorsy and less touristy than some other parts of Hawaii. Depends largely on what you're looking for in a vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

It's...it's...it's nearly perfect. It's been going on for years, RD has it together. The swim is in basically the same water as Honu (Ironman 70.3 Hawaii Trademark, Licensed, Protected, Caution, Consult Your Attorney). Prepare yourself emotionally to see a few turtles during the 1.5k. The bike is on some unknown, new-to-triathlon piece pavement (pink on this forum means sarcasm - the bike is on the Queen K, same road used for the Ironman World Championships). The run is slightly less hellish than Honu in that you don't have out-n-back, roast-a-thon on lava's version of the trail of tears - it's got some resort shade to it and the finish is fun as you're blazing along the narrow path that fronts the resorts and then ends on ~100m of deep, soft, wonderfully brutal sand.

Do it. You'll love it and the fam can come see you start, T1, they can go to brekky and came back to see you T2 and finish. It'll be great.

Ian

PS. I was there the first time in 1999 and Simon Whitfield and one other elite were doing some testing leading up to our Olympic debut in Sydney. They had swallowed a thermometer/transponder thing and in T1, T2 and finish there was a physio of sorts pressing a device up to their stomachs to get a reading. I spoke to the guy about it briefly and he was giddy on the technology . It all so new at the time and expensive - so much so that they athletes had to go through their deposits for the next few days to retrieve the thing. There you have it, I'm ending a Hawaiian triathlon tale with a poop story.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hey Slowtwitch,

The date lines up nicely with Spring Break for the kids (15 and 13) and the race looks like a nice excuse for Dad to plan a trip to Hawaii. We visit Hawaii annually, generally Maui, but have never visited the Big Island.

Anyone here have anything to say about that? Is the race a good experience? Meaning; competitive, scenic, well managed? Is the area enjoyable as a vacation destination for a family of four?

All input welcome.

Thanks,

Scott

Yes. My wife and I have raced there for years. Well run. Huge number of participants. It is competitive at the top end of most age groups, but maybe not as deep as some mainland races. Probably a popular event for newbies as the venue is accommodating. Most of the past 8 or 9 years have had wetsuit legal swims. There are fresh water springs in A-Bay that may help this happen. The bike course is pretty much out and back towards Kona and not technical at all. This section of the Queen K generally is only exposed to a headwind or tailwind this time of year. It may be slightly crossing, but nothing like what can happen on the Honu 70.3 or IMWC course towards Kawaihae and up to Hawi. The run is around the resort area with a couple of sections on lava/coral rock sections along the hotel lagoon and A-Bay beach.

Super family friendly. There is a road running race a day or two before the tri and in past years there was a kids tri also (not up to date on this offering). The after party food and Kona Brewing Company beer was always a highlight. The food offerings have slipped a bit as the event has grown, but still a great triathlon.

Plenty of family activities available. Best offerings require driving. Probably not a lot different than Maui depending on where you stay over there.

With the eruption currently "paused" the weather over there is much nicer. Things were crummy (overcast) for a lot of days this past spring and summer. We were over for both the Lavaman and Honu 70.3 this year. There is almost never much rain in the area. Or if it rains it is short duration. The day before Lavaman this year yielded 24 hours straight rain:( But it actually cleared for the first half of race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing...I've stayed at this resort often (mostly for USAT Coaching Education). I'm really into trail run and if you are too there's a thing on the island called the Kings Highway Foot Trail. It's a lava trial. It requires agile feet and sharp mind (and I'd still suggest wearing gloves). It's UNIQUE! I drew up this map for you because I prefer a loop to an out-n-back and I found this funky (and even more hectic) coast line trail that makes the thing into a loop. You might dig it.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7298633

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did it this year for the first time. Love, love, loved it. Scared to do it again because the weather this year was perfect - cloudy with not a breath of wind. But great swim course, nice bike (albeit short at 23.98 per my Garmin) and a pretty interesting run (again, short at 5.8 miles).

Very well organized and safe. My only complaint is that the bike racks are CRAMMED! I like the racks themselves - the one where your rear wheel fits into a slot, but man we were packed in like sardines. Good run course support - water was never far away until the last lava stretch. People to hose you off after coming out of the swim. Biggest post-race feast I've ever seen.

I can't wait to do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done it three times. But if you haven't signed up already, it may be too late. The race is usually sold out by August. The charity spots last a bit longer. If you can do it, you should. You'll have a great experience.

It's a fun race, well run. There are a lot of top end athletes so the competition in every age group is tough. That said, there are a huge number of beginners that are involved in Team in Training that are doing a race for the first time. So, regardless of ability you'll have company.

There are lots of condos at Waikoloa that are a great value compared to the Hilton. There's no need to stay at the hotel unless that's what you really want. We've gotten two bedroom condos near the Hilton for less than the cost of a hotel room. But act soon. The best deals and the best condos go quickly. Just go on VRBO and search...you'll see what's out there in all price levels.

In the three years I did the race, the swim was different every time. The first year the wind came up and there was a pretty big white cap ocean chop coming right into the bay. So, it made for a very challenging swim on the way out. For people not comfortable in the ocean I think it was pretty intimidating. The second year there were rollers coming in that really stirred up the muck in the water. It was like swimming in a muddy river. I couldn't see anything. Last year the conditions were perfect. I saw five turtles swimming around during the race. Great fun.

If you go, make sure to get in some practice swims in the bay in the days before or after the race. There are lots of other athletes out swimming and it's just a blast. You'll see turtles galore.

The post race party is a gas. One of the best in Triathlon with plenty of food and Kona Beer.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year. Going back this year. One of my three favorite races ever. Great distance. Great time of year. Bike on the Queen K. Sea turtles on the swim course. It's great.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez, I didn't expect such a prompt and overwhelmingly positive response! Thanks for the insights.

I love a good grassroots race, enjoy wrapping a vacation around a short races (less pressure) and am excited about the opportunity to visit the Big Island in general and Kona in particular. All win!

Looks like it is time to line up some logistics and grab a spot while registration remains open. Suggestions on where to stay? Priorities will be great beach access and the opportunity to pamper my girls. Obviously, the Hilton is an option, but also interested in more creative options.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's a fantastic race and week to spend on vacation with the family. Even if there is a waitlist at this point, I think you'd likely get a slot to enter. The run is tougher than you'll think; that coral and lava trail is tricky. Also there's a pretty longish beach sand-run at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Marriott is very close to the race venue & swim/beach, if you're looking for a big hotel experience. I stayed at the Aston Shores Waikoloa, which is on the inland side of the Hyatt. It's mainly townhouse/condo style with kitchens, etc, and the common amenities are modest but nice - lower budget option. Depends what you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
There are lots of condos at Waikoloa that are a great value compared to the Hilton. There's no need to stay at the hotel unless that's what you really want. We've gotten two bedroom condos near the Hilton for less than the cost of a hotel room.

Unless you plan to stay at the resort all day, avoid the Hilton Waikoloa. It's a nice hotel with good amenities, but you'll waste so much time getting in and out of there. It's really spread out, and it takes forever to walk to and from the parking lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnny_G wrote:
The run is tougher than you'll think; that coral and lava trail is tricky. Also there's a pretty longish beach sand-run at the finish.

x2 - the first 4.5-ish miles are great, that lava/sand stretch was rough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're bringing family stay at one the Hilton Grand Vacation resorts. King's Land is super nice. Kohala suites are a little less expensive and the rooms are bigger. Both give you access to the Hilton hotel amenities. King's land has a very nice pool with an awesome adult only section and a cold plunge pool that is super refreshing.

You could stay at either location for not much more than staying at one of the hotels in the area, plus you have the full kitchen, at least one bedroom and access to gas grills.

There are other condo options in the area but I'm not familiar with any of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Geez, I didn't expect such a prompt and overwhelmingly positive response! Thanks for the insights.

I love a good grassroots race, enjoy wrapping a vacation around a short races (less pressure) and am excited about the opportunity to visit the Big Island in general and Kona in particular. All win!

Looks like it is time to line up some logistics and grab a spot while registration remains open. Suggestions on where to stay? Priorities will be great beach access and the opportunity to pamper my girls. Obviously, the Hilton is an option, but also interested in more creative options.

Scott

I would highly recommend renting a condo. VRBO or rental agency will offer plenty of options. Most of the area development is quite a bit newer vintage than what you find on Maui so it is harder to go wrong (ie. less owner upkeep worries). Prices are also much more reasonable than Maui in this area. Waikoloa Beach Villas, Waikoloa Fairway Villas and Kolea at WBR are condo complex’s at the south end of the resort, closest to A’Bay where T1/T2 is set up.

If you go the hotel I’d skip the Hilton. Friends that have come over to race and preferred hotel to condo actually checked out of Hilton and into a condo due to noise and access issues at Hilton. Though Hilton is where race signup is locate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d echo the suggestion of the Marriott if you’re going to do a hotel - they also have timeshare units with washer/dryer if you can trade into one of those. It’s right on the bay you’ll be swimming in (the Hilton isn’t) and near transition and the finish line. Closest condos to the race are Waikoloa Beach Villas and then Kolea.

This is the most fun race on the island, short of maybe Ultraman. ;-)

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hey Slowtwitch,

All input welcome.

Thanks,

Scott

I used to do this race regularly until I tore my meniscus (training for the NYC marathon) a couple of years ago. It is a fun race.

A-Bay is a bit murky compared to Hapuna (a bit north) or the Kona pier, but it's still clear water compared to almost every other place in the world. Warm enough as well. Be aware that most but not all years it's westuit legal (barely). The bike ride is south on the Queen K and loops under the highway at Kukio just before you start up the hill to Veteran's cemetery.

Beware! Do Not under any circumstances attempt to make that loop under the highway on any day other than race day. If you're caught you'll get banned from the race for life. Kukio does not carry insurance for outside bike riders on it's private roads except race day.

Oh and there's beer at the finish line. Well not literally, you have to walk like 20 feet after finishing, but close enough.

have fun.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Scott,

It's...it's...it's nearly perfect. It's been going on for years, RD has it together. The swim is in basically the same water as Honu (Ironman 70.3 Hawaii Trademark, Licensed, Protected, Caution, Consult Your Attorney). Prepare yourself emotionally to see a few turtles during the 1.5k. The bike is on some unknown, new-to-triathlon piece pavement (pink on this forum means sarcasm - the bike is on the Queen K, same road used for the Ironman World Championships). The run is slightly less hellish than Honu in that you don't have out-n-back, roast-a-thon on lava's version of the trail of tears - it's got some resort shade to it and the finish is fun as you're blazing along the narrow path that fronts the resorts and then ends on ~100m of deep, soft, wonderfully brutal sand.

Do it. You'll love it and the fam can come see you start, T1, they can go to brekky and came back to see you T2 and finish. It'll be great.

Ian

PS. I was there the first time in 1999 and Simon Whitfield and one other elite were doing some testing leading up to our Olympic debut in Sydney. They had swallowed a thermometer/transponder thing and in T1, T2 and finish there was a physio of sorts pressing a device up to their stomachs to get a reading. I spoke to the guy about it briefly and he was giddy on the technology . It all so new at the time and expensive - so much so that they athletes had to go through their deposits for the next few days to retrieve the thing. There you have it, I'm ending a Hawaiian triathlon tale with a poop story.

Ian

great review, especially the poop part. But just to be perfectly clear, the swim at Honu is 9 miles up the shore at Hapuna beach with a swim parallel to the shore, for the most part while Lavaman is a loop in a bay.

I have always wondered what the swim is like there, at the Honu it's basically rocking side to side for majority of it but since Lavaman is a bit of of a mix, how do the waves move you in Lavaman?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swell has been non-existent the times I've swam in the Lavaman course area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done lavaman once where the waves were an issue at all. Ironically that was my best swim there. Well maybe not so ironic as my best Honu swim was in 2012 when we had gale force winds causing nasty waves and lost buoys.

But seriously, it's usually fairly flat or just a bit of chop. Most years the course is something resembling a square or rectangle. Be aware that the last leg back to shore is directly into the sun rising over the saddle.

Bike wise, the wave starts for the swim stretch out the bike riders quite a bit. My voice is no longer hoarse from hollering, "Stay Right" these days. Also it's usually calm at the start of the bike ride. Just realx and enjoy it, the winds will come. ;)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 19, 18 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One odd thing though I've noted for next years race...

It wasn't sold out. It usually sells out fast. Does anyone know offhand, whether Team in Training has dropped it as one of "their" races?

Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I google it, the TNT link shows u first as a sponsored link. I know once of the coaches for the NYC TNT contingent, I can ask him. Sad to hear that it isn't selling out. Now that I am on the west coast and closer to home, I plan to get home for this race every other year, alternating between Honu and Lavaman. I heard the Hilo tri shut down? Not sure it had much popularity outside it's first year. Also sad to hear, if true.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$300 for an Olympic? Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Lavaman - Waikoloa [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still cheaper than NYC and Alcatraz!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
When I google it, the TNT link shows u first as a sponsored link. I know once of the coaches for the NYC TNT contingent, I can ask him. Sad to hear that it isn't selling out. Now that I am on the west coast and closer to home, I plan to get home for this race every other year, alternating between Honu and Lavaman. I heard the Hilo tri shut down? Not sure it had much popularity outside it's first year. Also sad to hear, if true.

Our family did the relay all but the last year. To me it seemed that participation grew after the first year, which weather wise was pretty bad. The last year they cancelled the swim, probably unnecessarily. Anyway the mayor at the time was the driving force for the event. He termed out and our current mayor is a tightwad with no interest in promoting tourism on the east side.
Quote Reply

Prev Next