Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the time that you've spent wondering about whether you should push a button on the device that is already mounted on your bike you could have already configured it to show only the fields that you want during the race
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
blaxxuede wrote:
I'm just not that interested in adding that to the list of things to do for transition. I know it sounds frivolous to not want to push a button but for myself it is the mental aspect of trying to remember to push it not the action. Coupled with the fact I have not set it up to show any more than what I want. Really don't want to see my splits during the race, I just like to focus on RPE and getting in nutrition/hydration.

Exactly. And hey - come race sprint (draft legal if you can find it, it's fun), and you can take nutrition/hydration off the list of things to worry about too! ;)

That's the best thing about sprints. Getting to have brunch after is a close second.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
surroundhound wrote:
blaxxuede wrote:
I'm just not that interested in adding that to the list of things to do for transition. I know it sounds frivolous to not want to push a button but for myself it is the mental aspect of trying to remember to push it not the action. Coupled with the fact I have not set it up to show any more than what I want. Really don't want to see my splits during the race, I just like to focus on RPE and getting in nutrition/hydration.

Exactly. And hey - come race sprint (draft legal if you can find it, it's fun), and you can take nutrition/hydration off the list of things to worry about too! ;)

That's the best thing about sprints. Getting to have beers after is a close second.

FIFY.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things happen during races. Chips get lost and occasional timing issues. I would think with all the training to race a multi sport event, you might want your data for the race, if necessary, or for reference. Yes, there are cheats. It’s really sad that one would need to prove a race time, but unfortunately, it’s the world of sports now. There are some people that will do just about anything for an AG award or race result, whether they actually earned it or not. I personally wouldn’t be upset if my race data clarified any mistakes or false accusations.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Quantum wrote:
I don't think people should be required to present GPS data, especially if there isn't any cause for suspicion, but it's the best affirmative defense to any potential issues. Did a HIM relay a few years ago where lead relay rider followed moto off course and had to ride an extra couple of miles, and I blew by later. Having a computer that showed a 56.2 mile bike leg with detailed route info cut any questions about my split off at the pass before they became an issue.

Agreed. A buddy of mine was initially DQ'd at IMFL last year for missing a timing mat on the run. He was a KQ. He was reinstated by showing full data from his GPS watch.

The above!

Do we want race directors to believe every sob story about lost chips and missed timing mats? That is the standard behavior of nearly all of the double letter cheaters.

On the other hand, if you have GPS data to back up your story, an RD has something to go on.

Timing issues do happen, at IM Louisville I once had bike splits of nearly 1000 mph, along with others of 2 mph. They quickly fixed the issue, but had they challenged me I would have had GPS data to show my bike was quite ordinary. :(
Quote Reply

Prev Next