Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
(Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording?
Quote | Reply
So I was thinking. I normally do not record GPS data when racing. I just watch HR & PWR. I leave it on bike the whole race and never hit record. Should I start recording GPS data as evidence in case of some wacky timing error or whatever? Am I just being paranoid and as long as I don't cheat I won't have anything to worry about? Seems wierd to have to record your race data "just in case".
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I think GPS data may help is if say you have a major mechanical during the first loop of a race that puts your average speed much slower than the second loop. Someone may call out that you rode 18 mph, then suddenly were riding 25 mph insinuating that you cut the course on the second loop when really you were riding 25 mph the entire time while moving. GPS/power/speed data would shut that argument down quickly and effectively even though it shouldn't be "necessary" to refute a possible cheating claim as mechanicals happen all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually cheating accusations will have to be backed up by missed/ suspicious timing mat splits. However, it can't hurt to have GPS data available to squelch that if a timing mat malfunctions or there's a screwup on the data backend for it. Is there a reason you don't start recording?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was never accused of cheating but I had three races where I had a broken chip or a timing mat issue and I used GPS data to get my time fixed. In all three of those races I won my age group. I guess it was pretty handy to have the data on my watch.

blaxxuede wrote:
So I was thinking. I normally do not record GPS data when racing. I just watch HR & PWR. I leave it on bike the whole race and never hit record. Should I start recording GPS data as evidence in case of some wacky timing error or whatever? Am I just being paranoid and as long as I don't cheat I won't have anything to worry about? Seems wierd to have to record your race data "just in case".

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's not on strava....it didn't happen

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it ever becomes the norm that one is expected to be able to pony up GPS 'proof' that they did the course, I'm out. It sucks to have to mess around with a watch while I'm racing. I didn't hit any buttons at all last weekend - just wore my watch so I could figure out what time to meet my friend after we finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a timing chip nearly come off at IM Lake Placid. During the swim it just loosened. I held it between my feet and was able to grab it. I finished the swim holding it - reattached it once I got to transition. So they do come off.

But, you raise an interesting question. What if you simply forget to hit start on your watch or your (crappy Wahoo Element doesn't turn on for the first mile or two - it's personal LOL), or what if you simply can't afford the tech or just want to not get bogged down by it? Is that fair to leave someone open to accusations because they didn't log every step?
Very interesting question in the era of Big Data.
Last edited by: GreenBoy: Aug 28, 18 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to race by feel and hate thinking about pushing lap buttons. I really should look at setting my watch up to not show splits and paces during the race. I only use hr and pwr values to keep me honest on hills and surges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
I like to race by feel and hate thinking about pushing lap buttons. I really should look at setting my watch up to not show splits and paces during the race. I only use hr and pwr values to keep me honest on hills and surges.

I like to have the data afterwards, not just the times. I don't mind seeing everything even for a short race where I'm on feel, but why not set up a data page that just shows HR and Power? Garmins at least have Train and Race modes, so you should be able to have different lap settings. There are also people who race running races with GPS Accuracy as their only screen so they can't be always checking it.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [GreenBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a race where the timing was completely screwed up. Overall times were accurate but transition times from the bike and T2 times weren't right. Said I had a PR 5k averaging faster than 7s/mile....that's right it reported I finished the run in less than 23 seconds. But my T2 was really slow at 27 minutes or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:

One race last year was exactly that for me...a wacky timing error. Used my watch data to prove the correct splits.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah ive been thinking bout setting that up. Just not at the top of my priorities right now. It just occurred to me with the recent Cheating scandal that I should record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working in the pharma industry with fda scrutiny it rings true in many parts of life "if it isn't recorded accurately, it didn't happen."

The FDA, the IRS, race directors, your boss at work, etc.......none of them care about half guesses and hot wind. They all operate on hard facts.

I had to show my GPS/Strava data including HR and power at a time trial once due to timing issues. Had I not been able to do that, my result would likely have just been a DNS or DNF or they would have asked me to go again.

Ninja edit: FWIW, I find it very very suspect when high level athletes who almost always train with HR or power suddenly start posting only basic results. Maybe not for pro cyclists, as you don't want the peloton to know. But in triathlon, yeah.......
Last edited by: burnthesheep: Aug 29, 18 5:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the case that you are referring too, I believe the GPS trace was requested because it was clear there was a GPS trace. She had provided a garmin connect screenshot with lap data on it.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I GPS record very race I do, but more in case there are major timing screw-ups (it happens sometimes) being able to show your actual time and provide a file to the officials/timer. Plus I can use that data in Strava for future race pace planning.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of referring to all of the cases of course cutters. Seems like there is always a gps file involved some how.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Yeah ive been thinking bout setting that up. Just not at the top of my priorities right now. It just occurred to me with the recent Cheating scandal that I should record.

It would be good to have set for if a timing issue or course-cutting accusation does come up. I know I'd be suspicious if there were a timing issue or suspicious splits and the athlete doesn't have a record, especially if he has a GPS device with him during the race and just elected to not use it. A basic GPS watch is quite cheap these days (less than a pair of running shoes), so I don't even think it's unreasonable to say that there really ought to be a GPS log for every racer. If I were an RD I'd be tempted to require it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think people should be required to present GPS data, especially if there isn't any cause for suspicion, but it's the best affirmative defense to any potential issues. Did a HIM relay a few years ago where lead relay rider followed moto off course and had to ride an extra couple of miles, and I blew by later. Having a computer that showed a 56.2 mile bike leg with detailed route info cut any questions about my split off at the pass before they became an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:

The only time I have seen or heard of a "wacky timing error" was when cheaters try to lie to get away with cheating.

I have worked for a race with 30,000 people. timing mats have worked without error.

If cheaters aren't blaming timing mats, they are blaiming tainted supplements.

You have nothing to worry about.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
The FDA, the IRS, race directors, ......none of them care about half guesses and hot wind. They all operate on hard facts........

Hehe. You have a lot to learn about the IRS. Shall we schedule you for a proctology exam, er I mean TCMP audit?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
I don't think people should be required to present GPS data, especially if there isn't any cause for suspicion, but it's the best affirmative defense to any potential issues. Did a HIM relay a few years ago where lead relay rider followed moto off course and had to ride an extra couple of miles, and I blew by later. Having a computer that showed a 56.2 mile bike leg with detailed route info cut any questions about my split off at the pass before they became an issue.
Agreed. A buddy of mine was initially DQ'd at IMFL last year for missing a timing mat on the run. He was a KQ. He was reinstated by showing full data from his GPS watch.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lifejustice wrote:
The only time I have seen or heard of a "wacky timing error" was when cheaters try to lie to get away with cheating.

Really? the only time?

Last year, at a local Oly they used the swim stream start, but timed the entire field from the Gun time. Everything was FUBAR. We were all required to fill out the "time protest form" with our splits and defend them with GPS data. I had to show my splits to timing and scoring on my watch before they would initial my submission.

Maybe you don't define that as a "wacky" timing error, but just a plain old fuck up. Regardless...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:

so you have a watch capable of recording everything but you do not record it just watching the numbers? :O you must have serious issues. :O

How hard is to place watch in tri mode and hit start, then stop at the end, you can look at the data offline during winter, and see how to improve it.
Quote Reply
Re: (Cheating accusations) Forced GPS Recording? [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just not that interested in adding that to the list of things to do for transition. I know it sounds frivolous to not want to push a button but for myself it is the mental aspect of trying to remember to push it not the action. Coupled with the fact I have not set it up to show any more than what I want. Really don't want to see my splits during the race, I just like to focus on RPE and getting in nutrition/hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
I'm just not that interested in adding that to the list of things to do for transition. I know it sounds frivolous to not want to push a button but for myself it is the mental aspect of trying to remember to push it not the action. Coupled with the fact I have not set it up to show any more than what I want. Really don't want to see my splits during the race, I just like to focus on RPE and getting in nutrition/hydration.
Exactly. And hey - come race sprint (draft legal if you can find it, it's fun), and you can take nutrition/hydration off the list of things to worry about too! ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next