Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was a fun and interesting time. Lots of hardcore fans that are not fitness nuts into this stuff over in Europe. I'd say lots of them are bigger fans than some of us fitness nuts or amateur racers.

There was a 30+ group of Bora fans all in matching team kit eating together on the Champs the day before the race.

Sunday pics:

Yellow:

Polka dots, in the middle there:

Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Was a fun and interesting time. Lots of hardcore fans that are not fitness nuts into this stuff over in Europe. I'd say lots of them are bigger fans than some of us fitness nuts or amateur racers.

There was a 30+ group of Bora fans all in matching team kit eating together on the Champs the day before the race.

Sunday pics:

Yellow:

Polka dots, in the middle there:

Super thanks for sharing. I have never been there in person on the Champs Finale stage. Only seen stages in the Alps and Switerland. Was it worth being onsite or was it hard to get the full atmosphere with the barriers?
Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally worth it. I was here for a while for work anyway. I brought the bike and commuted to/from work and then did some weekend riding stuff. I was out in Lorraine and did the vineyards/mountains of Alsace on the weekend.

The barriers were close enough you can see well. People yell, bottles are thrown, etc... To me, the relaxed atmosphere of the garden viewing near the Louvre was nice.

Probably easier than driving to a remote mountain town, riding your bike half way up some 3000ft climb, and waiting in possibly bad weather conditions for a few hours.

Added bonus, the Champs stage at that point is laps like a crit. So they go by 8 laps and the entry to the city I don't think counts as a lap at that point. Can't remember total, but they went by a LOT.

You get to see the retiring rider take the 1min break as tradition, watch the break gain time and lose it at the end, etc....

Also bonus, you can after they pass the last time have enough time to walk the 2min to the big view screen and watch the sprint on the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I might be mistaken, I haven't researched this to check if I have my facts straight: but I was always under the impression that Sky was something of an offshoot from the state funded British Cycling machine the purpose of which was to produce Olympic medals for Britain on the track. My assumption was that Sky initially inherited a lot of expertise and riders from British Cycling and thus DID have a headstart over established pro tour teams.

Am I woefully misinformed/imagining things?

I'd say that very much depends on your definition of a head start. I think to get the full picture you really need to go back to the very beginning. In the early 90's (and pretty much forever before that) British Cycling was a laughing stock of the cycling world - rarely getting any medals at any major events. Funding was virtually zero. Dave Brailsford came along and said 'I'm going to transform British Cycling into the best cycling nation in the world on the track'. That was laughable at the time, totally ridiculous, yet over the next 15 years or so he did it. What he achieved with British Cycling, prior to Team Sky is probably one of the greatest sporting management achievements of all time. To fully understand you need to look into how awful cycling was in the UK at the time. It was only because of the unbelievable success of the British Cycling track team that funding was secured from Sky. At the very start Dave Brailsford probably had a 40 year handicap, certainly no headstart.
Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
trimick wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm not a Sky fan as I realy wanted another team to win, but really all the other teams have access to exactly EVERYTHING that Sky has....they have access to financial markets, sponsors, medical, equipment and the best training methods and organization. Its not a farce that Sky beats them. It's not like the other teams are doping less. If anything the biggest farce in the peloton is Vino running a protour team and meanwhlile everyone is beating up on Sky. Oschowicz is running BMC, but he also ran Motorola....sooo it's not like everyone Sky is racing are saints.

Where did I say anything about the size of their budget? You said attention to detail and I think that is the biggest piece of crap about them.

They are dirty.

Everyone has dismissed 'attention to detail' mainly because of the irritating catch phrase marginal gains. However it is not unreasonable to understand that they have the resources to do things 'better' than other teams and that makes a difference, better in race support, better off season support, better nutrition, (did you hear about the the cost of the ketone drinks $100s per day per person on a race day) it all adds up. Overlay this with paying for multiple super domestiques and you have the winning 'formula'. It's not dirty.

Not that you will accept that.

tuckandgo wrote:
trimick wrote:
cartsman wrote:
trimick wrote:
Where did I say anything about any of that? I took issue with one thing that Dev said about the attention to detail nothing else.

You said their attention to detail was "a farce" and "crap". When in fact pretty much everybody who is actually close to and knowledgeable about professional cycling is consistent in saying that Sky are the most meticulous, innovative and professional team on the circuit. Recent examples including Bobby Julich who talked about this at length on The Move podcast last week, and Cameron Wurf who came onto this forum and talked about it (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6673569#p6673569).

Some of that is down to budget like 3D printing of custom titanium aerobars for each rider, or being able to afford to train and race on (legal) nutritional products that promote ketone burning and cost ~$100/day/rider. Some of it is just plain common sense - e.g. it's remarkable that a rider like Bardet who has GC aspirations will openly admit that he doesn't ride his TT bike much because he doesn't like it. Also turned out that Thomas had ridden the Tour TT course 2-3 times in training this season, while Roglic (and presumably some other GC contenders) hadn't ridden it at all. When the margins are increasingly tight, that stuff does make a difference. As does going into a Grand Tour with a clear strategy built around a Number 1 and Number 2 rider, rather than just going in like Movistar with 3 leaders and seeing what happens.

Again if they had great attention to detail they would know what was in the jiffy bag, they wouldn't have lost medical files, they wouldn't have ordered testerone, they wouldn't have hired past coaches with doping connections, and they would have known that Froome had asthma or was a once in a lifetime talent before they were going to get rid of him. If you look at the facts there is zero way that anyone will ever get me to believe that Sky has great attention to detail.

It's not 'attention to detail' as in attention to minutiae it's just having 'better everything' across the board. Some people might call that attention to detail.

What you actually mean is that you don't believe they aren't doping otherwise they would 1. say what was in the jiffy bag. 2. Produced the medical files. 3. wouldn't have extra testosterone. etc.
So why don't you just say that ;-)

I don't see why this has to be an either/or ~ you're both right (except for the bolded bit). It's indeed true they do a better, more thorough job of squeezing the last bit of edge out of all the myriad details, and everything else money can buy... but that doesn't exclude the shady/illegal shit, too.

No different than Postal/Disco in their day ~ they had the best guys at the front, the best support riders, the best training & nutrition, support services from top to bottom throughout the entire organization, etc, etc... AND the best doping program.
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Jul 31, 18 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
[

I don't see why this has to be an either/or ~ you're both right (except for the bolded bit). It's indeed true they do a better, more thorough job of squeezing the last bit of edge out of all the myriad details, and everything else money can buy... but that doesn't exclude the shady/illegal shit, too.

No different than Postal/Disco in their day ~ they had the best guys at the front, the best support riders, the best training & nutrition, support services from top to bottom throughout the entire organization, etc, etc... AND the best doping program.

Yeah, I'll hold my hand up and say that I don't know that Sky aren't doping. But what I disagree with is rubbishing that they do things better than other teams - they DO do things better than other teams, they have a much bigger budget and they use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I was almost directly across the street from you. In fact, I had to look carefully at your pics to see if I was in them. We saw the same group in the Bora kits riding down by Notre Dame on Saturday.

After the race, we wandered into the team bus area and got some great pictures of bikes and close to the riders. There was a bigger crowd for Sagan and the Bora bus than there was for the Sky bus, but both were pretty raucous with Welsh fans singing songs at the Sky bus and lots of Slovaks cheering for Sagan. Bora gave out a bunch of cycling caps and other goodies.

After coming back from the presentations, award, interviews, etc., Sagan spent quite a long time signing autographs and thanking fans. It’s easy to see why he’s so incredibly popular.

Also got to congratulate Lawson Craddock and Taylor Phinney.

A very cool experience. Got to see the riders a lot during the race, and got to meet lots of enthusiastic fans from all over the world. The people next to us drove eight hours from Germany the night before and were driving back after the race. They were big Sagan fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Tdf Stage 21: Thomas, Sagan victory Laps [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Funny, I was almost directly across the street from you. In fact, I had to look carefully at your pics to see if I was in them. We saw the same group in the Bora kits riding down by Notre Dame on Saturday.

After the race, we wandered into the team bus area and got some great pictures of bikes and close to the riders. There was a bigger crowd for Sagan and the Bora bus than there was for the Sky bus, but both were pretty raucous with Welsh fans singing songs at the Sky bus and lots of Slovaks cheering for Sagan. Bora gave out a bunch of cycling caps and other goodies.

After coming back from the presentations, award, interviews, etc., Sagan spent quite a long time signing autographs and thanking fans. It’s easy to see why he’s so incredibly popular.

Also got to congratulate Lawson Craddock and Taylor Phinney.

A very cool experience. Got to see the riders a lot during the race, and got to meet lots of enthusiastic fans from all over the world. The people next to us drove eight hours from Germany the night before and were driving back after the race. They were big Sagan fans.

Hey guys, it sounds like I should ideally end next year's trip watching the stage in Paris after doing a bunch of days of riding in the Dolomites and then the Alps (basically work backwards from Munich to Paris via Dolomites/Bormio and then Bourg d'Oisans/Briancon). At least that is what I would like to work towards. First hand feedback from the Champs is always appreciated.
Quote Reply

Prev Next