Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues
Quote | Reply
Pay your age for a bear. Lines were cut off due to safety concerns.

My favourite quote is this:

"Like many, we didn't made the cut. This was supposed to be a surprise for my 8 month old's 1st birthday… what a SURPRISE indeed,“

I am pretty sure your 1 year old will get over it.

https://www.cbc.ca/...y-your-age-1.4744480

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta love how people are willing to wait in line for multiple hours to save $10. Is your time really worth that little to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff like this makes me less confident in the state of humanity.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Gotta love how people are willing to wait in line for multiple hours to save $10. Is your time really worth that little to you?

Yeah I don’t get it. I can think of thousands of things I would rather be doing that that.

But little 8 month old Jimmy had his heart set on a bear...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
jbank wrote:

Yeah I don’t get it. I can think of thousands of things I would rather be doing that that.

But little 8 month old Jimmy had his heart set on a bear...

Your thread title is lame.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

But that aside, in the UK apparently these bears can cost up to GBP57, which is pushing $100. If you have a couple of kids that can add up, so I can see why this promotion would have been immensely popular.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They only cost that much if you get suckered into buying the stupid bear 3 outfits.

We promised BLeP jr that he could do it when he was 5. It set us back $50 Canadian, which is like $2.50 USD.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Everything in the UK is way overpriced.

Company CEO has offered a $15 voucher for anyone to use over the summer. I guess it's a gesture, but not sure it will be enough to win back customer loyalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't care. Those idiots can cry and bitch and moan but it doesn't change the fact that they are idiots who were willing to stand in line for hours to save a few bucks to get little Jimmy the bear he's always wanted for his first birthday.

BaB will survive because the world is full of idiots.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Don't care. Those idiots can cry and bitch and moan but it doesn't change the fact that they are idiots who were willing to stand in line for hours to save a few bucks to get little Jimmy the bear he's always wanted for his first birthday.

BaB will survive because the world is full of idiots.

Save some bucks? It would have cost me $63. Some fucking deal.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who needs a $50 teddy bear. My mom made a sock monkey for me and each of my siblings. Probably spent less than $2 (1960 US dollars) for each monkey, and it was my favorite.

Kid these days.......

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. I actually found a correlation with cheaper the toy the more its played with. Fancy toy grandparents got my kids, rarely played with. Cardboard box from some shipment we got, hours upon hours of fun (then once it falls apart, they ask us to buy something else that comes in a box). Best box was the new water heater.

I also don't get American Girl Doll stuff. Why pay 100's of dollars to get a doll, take it out shopping, get its hair done and all of that crap. Its all a scam.

Oh and I don't think its kids these days...I think its parents these days falling for these marketing ploys. Consumer marketing has gotten so good that people don't realize they are falling for this stuff. Look at any golf gimmick or bike gimmick, people will pay hundreds of dollars to save on one golf stroke or 2 seconds on a bike.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Jul 13, 18 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Company CEO has offered a $15 voucher for anyone to use over the summer. I guess it's a gesture, but not sure it will be enough to win back customer loyalty.

Were the people cashing in on this deal loyal customers to begin with though? Often the people in on a discount like this are not your regular customer base who is willing to drop $60 on a bear and it is a one time time thing. Isn’t build a Bear more of a one time experience anyway? I guess I’ll find out when my mother in law shows up in a week...
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my son was three I picked up about 50 stones down at the beach, washed them and put them in a plastic container. He played with those rocks for hours.

Last edited by: BLeP: Jul 13, 18 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, one year old loves taking things out of something and putting them back in. She does with dominos and an old purse my wife had. Hours of entertainment.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:

Without outfits bears can run up to about $40 in the us as cheap as $15.

Regardless this was a stupid promo, they should have known you offer parents a chance to save a significant amount of cash, your going to get a big line.. A family of 3 under 5 easily could drop $100 instead get out for $15 gee shocker they had huge lines..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Who needs a $50 teddy bear. My mom made a sock monkey for me and each of my siblings. Probably spent less than $2 (1960 US dollars) for each monkey, and it was my favorite.

Kid these days.......

About $20 now. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...okiUDzwaAvuwEALw_wcB

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Were the people cashing in on this deal loyal customers to begin with though? Often the people in on a discount like this are not your regular customer base who is willing to drop $60 on a bear and it is a one time time thing. Isn’t build a Bear more of a one time experience anyway? I guess I’ll find out when my mother in law shows up in a week...

Uhm no, it was only offered to their Membership club. They have lots of repeat customers.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Uhm no, it was only offered to their Membership club. They have lots of repeat customers.

Interesting. I am thankful to be totally out of touch with stuff like this. My daughter enjoyed it the time my MIL took her- but I assumed that was it. I guess I’m cheap - I taught her to sew in 1st grade and if she wants to build another bear she can do it herself in any color and shape she wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
They only cost that much if you get suckered into buying the stupid bear 3 outfits.

We promised BLeP jr that he could do it when he was 5. It set us back $50 Canadian, which is like $2.50 USD.

That's $2.50 Freedom Dollars.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some people enjoy standing in line and the community that comes with it. The purchase is just the proof that they stood in line. It ratifies them. If it makes them happy, shrug.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
some people enjoy standing in line and the community that comes with it. The purchase is just the proof that they stood in line. It ratifies them. If it makes them happy, shrug.

Idiots.

Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Kid these days.......

About $20 now. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...okiUDzwaAvuwEALw_wcB
Who buys a "kit" to make these! We "helped" our mom make these by tearing up old shirts to make the stuffing and then helping to stuff the parts while she did the sewing. (Stuffing the ears wasn't easy.) Happy days.

But I see where just to buy the socks will cost you about $14 these days. Madness. (Of course a loaf of bread only cost 25 cents in 1960.)

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Heel-Sock-Instructions-Medium/dp/B001I1UIIO/ref=cts_ap_2_vtp

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:

I feel the same way about the people that camp out for black Friday. I'll never understand this attitude--time is money.
Quote Reply
Re: Build a bear offers stupid promotion... chaos ensues [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
jbank wrote:

I feel the same way about the people that camp out for black Friday. I'll never understand this attitude--time is money.

Money is also money. Unless you're self-employed, most people are only paid to work 40-60 hours per week, and get paid annual leave as well. So unless they're actually taking unpaid holiday to stand in a queue, time isn't money, it's just time. I guess in theory they could use that time to work a second job, start a business, write a novel, etc, but most people don't do that. Time spent queueing is time that's not spent watching television, having a snooze, reading the paper, etc. Heck, you've got over 3000 posts on here, think how much money you could have earned with all that time!

Personally I wouldn't stand in a queue to save $10, because I don't like queueing and I'm lucky enough that $10 isn't that big a deal to me. But if it was $100 as somebody suggested above, and it was for something that I or my kids really wanted (ours were dying to do BAB when they were younger, we took them once each on their 3rd birthdays), then maybe I'd queue. I think also that most of the time people don't intend on queueing for ages, they just get into that classic quandary of having queued so long they don't want to quit. Maybe when you show up the queue looks like it will take 45 minutes to get in, you figure that's OK and join the back. Then 45 minutes later you're still only halfway to the front, but now you've already invested that 45 minutes in waiting and the queue behind you is enormous so you figure you might as well hang in there as otherwise you've wasted 45 minutes. Before you know it you've been queueing 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I see it you're not saving anything. Still spending a buck or 5 on something and wasting many hours. Now if they paid me to wait in line and take their bear that would be saving something.
Quote Reply