Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire Sealant Questions
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to use tire sealant for the first time and have a few questions that I'd like to throw out to the Slowtwitch hive mind. I'm going to be using Orange Seal Endurance formula in 700x25 clincher road tires and am planning to use the sealant inside some latex tubes.

1. How much sealant is everyone using in each tire? I've seen 2oz as the recommendation but it seems that's what's being used in MTB tires so can I use less in skinny road tires?

2. I'm getting the impression from my research that the stuff weeps or dries out over time. How often do you need to add sealant? How much? And how do you know it's time?

3. If you are adding sealant to a tube for a "top off", is this tube just going to get heavier and heavier with caked sealant inside? How many times would you top off a tube before you'd consider changing the tube and starting fresh?

4. If you get a known puncture(s) that seals, do you just consider yourself saved for that ride and need to change the tube before the next one, or do you continue to use the sealed tube for future rides? I guess I'm asking is the seal considered semi-permanent or just a patch to get you home?

5. Is there anything else that I need to know before using this stuff? Anything you wish you'd known before you tried it?

I've read the basics of adding the sealant after removing valve stem cores and the keys to installing latex tubes the proper way, I just found myself with some additional questions around the sealant use. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Sealant Questions [WVTRIMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, I recently posted about my ~2 year experiment with sealant in latex tubes.

1. I use 2 oz. You could probably get away with 1oz. But even though the volume of the tire is less, the real question is "how much sealant does it take to seal?" And with high pressure (higher than MTB) road tires, you often blow a lot of sealant out before it starts to seal.

2. Yes. It varies depending on a variety of factors. "A few months" is the short answer.

3. Yes. I found myself just replacing tubes after about 6-8 months.

4. With tubes always patch/replace the tube. The seal is generally less stable than pure tubeless, in my experience.

5. Never park or store your bike valve-stem down. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Sealant Questions [WVTRIMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WVTRIMAN wrote:
I'm getting ready to use tire sealant for the first time and have a few questions that I'd like to throw out to the Slowtwitch hive mind.

Check out Slowtwitch Tire Sealant Test: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_-_Part_2_4155.html

Basically if you use Flat Attack, then you don't need to add sealant over time since it doesn't dry out and should last the life of your inner tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Sealant Questions [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the orientation of the valve stem outside of during the install. I had some Tufo tubular tires a long time ago and used their sealant. I remember the valves getting all gummed up after a while. I'm thinking I may only use the sealant for races just to avoid the hassle during training situations.
Quote Reply