Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is deemed "outside" assistance in a race? [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I have this same thought. If a person was sitting with a hose and only would soak down the person they knew or only the tri-club they were apart of I could see it as an issue. When they have it set up so anyone and everyone can run through it then I don't see the problem. Especially at a hot race when it can really make a difference.

I remember planning to do IM Tahoe and really thinking about the logistics behind staying warm and cool throughout the day since it can be low 30's in the morning and 80s during the day. I didn't want to loose my nice cycling jacket after I started to warm up on the bike. It definitely would had been an advantage if I had someone sitting at mile 30 ready to take my gear and be on my way instead of having to either sweat it out until I reached an aid station or maybe not taking a jacket at all and just brave the cold.

I don't think this is really a difficult concept to grasp and I think the "doing it for all is ok, doing it for one is not" is reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: What is deemed "outside" assistance in a race? [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If outside assistance helps you go faster and beat other people contending for an award it should not be allowed.

Anything else I personally don’t care

I’ve see people helping a racer keep going at the end of a race and my first thought was thatbisnso sweet. Didn’t upset me at all.
Quote Reply
Re: What is deemed "outside" assistance in a race? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Yup, I have this same thought. If a person was sitting with a hose and only would soak down the person they knew or only the tri-club they were apart of I could see it as an issue. When they have it set up so anyone and everyone can run through it then I don't see the problem. Especially at a hot race when it can really make a difference.

I remember planning to do IM Tahoe and really thinking about the logistics behind staying warm and cool throughout the day since it can be low 30's in the morning and 80s during the day. I didn't want to loose my nice cycling jacket after I started to warm up on the bike. It definitely would had been an advantage if I had someone sitting at mile 30 ready to take my gear and be on my way instead of having to either sweat it out until I reached an aid station or maybe not taking a jacket at all and just brave the cold.

I don't think this is really a difficult concept to grasp and I think the "doing it for all is ok, doing it for one is not" is reasonable.

more of an aside; but I did IMLT '15 (RIP) and they had a collection spot for jackets, etc. on the first lap of the ride. best I can remember it was ~mile 35 - 45. It was great. I added a long sleeve jersey and wrote my number on it. Picked it up post race, no problem-O.

Available to everyone - that's cool. Available to one (or "special" few), not cool.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: What is deemed "outside" assistance in a race? [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not allowed unless expressly permitted in an official "coaching zone" found in some European races, most typically those that do not provide special needs. Over the years I see more convergence in the rules, and the coaching zones are disappearing as more European full Ironman races are adding special needs.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jun 26, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: What is deemed "outside" assistance in a race? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:

Yep, racing mostly in Texas I'll regularly find that the run is limited by the heat.

A strategically placed friend or two with ice, water, towels, hoses etc... would be a huge advantage.

There's a possible argument that friends giving ice/water to everyone could still be assistance if you're more impacted by heat than others, but that's a bit of a stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: What is deemed "outside" assistance in a race? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
trialex wrote:
Nobody seems to worry about the pro's being given time splits to other competitors, but to me that seems like a HUGE assistance that actually would have an affect on the outcome of the race. I think incidental stuff like hats and sunscreen are fine. I bet they had no impact on the podium result for any age group.

You're complaining about time splits? Perhaps you would prefer they all compete naked, oiled, and in silence like the good old days in Greece?

You missed my point - I'm comparing the two examples, and saying that they are both fine! Splits is considered to be acceptable, and sunscreen has a comparable or lower impact, therefore sunscreen is OK.
Quote Reply

Prev Next