Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
My road bike is a 2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SL. My tri bike is a 2016 Felt IA14.
If I'd had the option of a Speedmax when I got the IA14, that's what I'd have got, and my opinion has not changed.

I'm happy enough with the Felt, aside from the poorly designed Calpac which appears to have been sorted on this years models. However, I think the Canyon is better value, it's lighter, it would probably be easier to live with and travel with. Given neither are local, I'd rather deal with Canyon.

The SLX is many things, but easy to travel with - it is not. The cableage inside the stem area is a nightmare.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically you’re gonna get answers based on what people own. I own a Felt IA 10 so that’s my pick. I intentionally did not want integrated brakes or bars (I prefer tririg parts) so I got the 10 instead of the 1. But I also considered briefly the non-integrated Speedmax as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Basically you’re gonna get answers based on what people own. I own a Felt IA 10 so that’s my pick. I intentionally did not want integrated brakes or bars (I prefer tririg parts) so I got the 10 instead of the 1. But I also considered briefly the non-integrated Speedmax as well.
Somewhat true, but not entirely fair comment IMO.
Yes, many people want to think what they own, regardless of how they came to buy it, is the best and will say that it is as a default position.
However, many also put lots of consideration into what they bought, and therefore, it's obviously very likely they own what they judge to be the best purschase. And yet more, like myself, own one bike and would happily give it's pros and cons versus another in favour of the other. It's not as simple as people recommending what they own. That's just one element.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tested both bikes and for me (and for my setup) the IA (integrated one) is faster than the Canyon. Not significantly, but it is faster. Also, get that 3d printed plate for the calpak and you get an additional bottle (18 ounces) of fluid with zero drag, and then get the front bottle (FC35 or the Torhans bottle) and makes the bike even faster. Then use a rear bottle (behind the seat) for a flat kit.

With the addition of the disc brakes on the next generation of integrated IA's I'm getting another IA (already have the IA FRD).

That being said, both are extremely capable machines, and I would recommend either, but ride both to make sure which one you like better.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I have bought the Speedmax CF SLX here in US.
Try to get a rear mount cage device from them? They have no idea when they might get them.
But as I said earlier, I love this bike! No problems. Putting a spare in the “secret compartment” is really tight though.
What do you mean "a spare", a spare what? If you are talking about a spare tube, try and move it into the top tube and use that as an extension of the compartment, works great and allows for even more items in the tool compartment.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OP asked “would you rather buy a Felt IA or Canyon”. If you own one of these bikes you obviously would rather buy that one. Correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll try that. Do you use the sock with the spare tube in the top tube. Do you use the sock at all?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still use the "sock/sleeve", but use it for a multitool now rather than the tube. It takes a bit of patience to get the tube in the top tube but I know it is possible to get it in there, and also have had to get it out during a race and that was completely possible as well.

Drop me a PM if you have any issues.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
The OP asked “would you rather buy a Felt IA or Canyon”. If you own one of these bikes you obviously would rather buy that one. Correct?
No. Not always correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time tri bike owner.

have been looking at these two bikes.

I think I found a steal on a 2017 IA1 felt frame, built up with full dura ace Di2, alto cc56 wheelset. the IA1 with sram etap in 2017 was 11K MSRP. i got it for 5500K. I will build it and test it out with option to return.

On the other hand, the convenience of the integrated nutrition and hydration system on the canyons and the better wheelset of the canyon speedmax SLX 8.0 SL, despite coming in ultegra Di2 has me second guessing myself. I am considering returning the felt.

obviously, i will build the felt and try it out, but what are your opinions on these two specific bikes? any advice would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Felt IA because the frame and parts are widely available across North America. Customer service is based in this continent. Sorry but if I live in Podunk, Arkansas, I’m not buying a Mercedes when the closest dealer and service is located 12 hours away.

The Canyon is nice, but Felt makes equally awesome TT bikes.

I live in Podunk, Arkansas and we have a Mercedes dealership and ride Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Speedmax SLX 9. I also own an Ultimate SLX. Frankly, I regret buying both.

They're great bikes for the price, no doubt, but Canyon customer service is an absolute nightmare to deal with. Spare part availability is piss poor. I've resorted to all sorts hoop jumping to get replacement parts -- namely ordered parts from Canyon Global to a mailbox I set-up in Germany and forwarding the parcels to the US. It's a huge PITA and takes weeks to get anything. God forbid something should break or I lose a small part just a few days before an A race -- you'd be total screwed.

I don't know anything about the Felt IA (it was never on my short list), but I'd skip Canyon if I were in the shoes of a new buyer.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [bigleaguechu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigleaguechu wrote:
What are your opinions on these two specific bikes?
That is a tough choice. I have a Felt IA, and I love it...

• Both bikes are proven fast-- Canyon wins men's Kona and Felt wins women's Kona
  • Both bikes are good looking
  • Both wheels are negatives to me-- I would dump them and put a disc in back and 80mm up front
  • Canyon is lighter
  • Felt DuraAce is sweeter
  • Canyon integrated storage & hydration is nice
  • Felt draft box is excellent
  • Canyon cockpit is better-- no objective data here, I just like the look of the Canyon cockpit
  • Felt is cheaper

Looking at my subjective preferences objectively, I would probably get the Felt. But, the Speedmax is totally sweet.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this.

One comment is that since this is the 2017 ia1, there are no bosses for the btspac. Unclear what I’m going to do for storage hydration with the felt. I know aeria makes a integrated front hydration set up but haven’t heard much about it.

I agree that I would do disc/80 for wheels so maybe go with the get and save the money for the wheelset.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I have a 2015 IA FRD, its nice, but the storage sucks (2015 doesn't have the bosses on the back of the seat tube for the new storage box). The bento box sucks too, even the new designed one isn't that great IMHO. Luckily for me I don't tend to carry much solid food, so I'll be taping a couple gels to the top of the small integrated stem, using the bento to hold a spare tube, and have the rest of my flat kit tucked up under the saddle. Cable routing through the integrated stem to the rear brake (and rd if using mechanical) is -very- tight.

So you get a "super bike" fully integrated everything then go and tape a bunch of gels on top of the stem right in the wind.
How about taping a banana to the top tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [bigleaguechu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigleaguechu wrote:
One comment is that since this is the 2017 ia1, there are no bosses for the btspac. Unclear what I’m going to do for storage hydration with the felt.
Doh, that is a big negative. I forgot what year got the bosses on the single-digit bikes. I love my draft box.

I had the XLab Versa 500 on the front of my original Felt cockpit. That is excellent, especially the computer mount part. I upgraded my cockpit to a Tririg Alpha X, so now I still use the Torpedo bottle and cage but attached to the Alpha's integrated mounting plate. And, I have a custom attachment for the out-front computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

I have a 2015 IA FRD, its nice, but the storage sucks (2015 doesn't have the bosses on the back of the seat tube for the new storage box). The bento box sucks too, even the new designed one isn't that great IMHO. Luckily for me I don't tend to carry much solid food, so I'll be taping a couple gels to the top of the small integrated stem, using the bento to hold a spare tube, and have the rest of my flat kit tucked up under the saddle. Cable routing through the integrated stem to the rear brake (and rd if using mechanical) is -very- tight.

So you get a "super bike" fully integrated everything then go and tape a bunch of gels on top of the stem right in the wind.
How about taping a banana to the top tube?

Never said I was happy about it! But thanks for the helpful comment!

And there is nothing 'fully integrated' about the '15 FRD...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 3, 18 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you break that bike a lot...and Canyon sounds like a horrible experience...may as well build an open mold...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon. I like the integrated hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw someone on ST post that they used the specialized fuelcell on their ia. Wondering if anyone has tried that.

If that truly works, I could either opt for the modded specialized fuselage hydration in the calpac or maybe the profile design integrated stem/cockpit/hydration attachment.

Do you or anyone else reading this have any experience with that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think you can read about it on this page:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC
Quote Reply

Prev Next