Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the integrated versions here. Which piques your interest the most and which would you get? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt IA. Their bikes have always fit me very well
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Canyon all day assuming both fit you.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both do fit.

Any specific reasons???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt IA because the frame and parts are widely available across North America. Customer service is based in this continent. Sorry but if I live in Podunk, Arkansas, I’m not buying a Mercedes when the closest dealer and service is located 12 hours away.

The Canyon is nice, but Felt makes equally awesome TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA2 and have to say, if I did it again I would go the Canyon. Have had quite a few issues with the IA2 including a broken aerobar clamp that could have ended in disaster and took weeks to get a replacement part for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thrilled with my Canyon.
I looked long and hard at the Felt and feel it is a great choice.
In the US, availability and parts are slow coming.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Felt IA because the frame and parts are widely available across North America. Customer service is based in this continent. Sorry but if I live in Podunk, Arkansas, I’m not buying a Mercedes when the closest dealer and service is located 12 hours away.

What parts on the Canyon would be difficult to find? The only thing I could think of would be if you needed a aero bar clamp or derailleur hanger. Even then I bet you could get one within a week from overseas. Shit, Wiggle, PBK, Starbike gets me stuff to the westcoast in a week. If I needed something ASAP, I would drive to Carlsbad, but then again I am on the westcoast.

I've had 5 Felts, B12 (first Felt with Di2), DA, IA1, IA FRD and AR1. Getting anything inherently Felt has been no walk in the park and they are in Irvine. My Felt LBS is 45 min away and if I needed something under warranty its still a week or so to get. Things like rear drop out screws, V3 aero bracket, front brake covers, rear brake replacements...all things I have had to call in, request, wait for clearance from Felt, shipped to LBS, me go to LBS...blah blah blah.

Go with what fits you. From what I see, the Canyon will be lighter, better climber, has the convenient storage for flat kit, built in bento, hydration carrier. The really nice thing with Canyon is the derailleur hanger is replaceable. BUT, if you are going to ditch the hydration it my be an aero negative.

I can do 95% of the work on my bikes so I don't need a Canyon dealer around the corner to handle my shit. If you do it may not be the bike for you. I am strongly leaning towards the Canyon. The IA is a great bike...heavy, but great. If you live/ race in flat areas I'd say IA all day. It is aero as f*ck. If you ride/ race hills, especially technical descents, then lean more Canyon. I wish the BB was a BB30, there was a frame only option and there was no tax, but it is what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My road bike is a 2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SL. My tri bike is a 2016 Felt IA14.
If I'd had the option of a Speedmax when I got the IA14, that's what I'd have got, and my opinion has not changed.

I'm happy enough with the Felt, aside from the poorly designed Calpac which appears to have been sorted on this years models. However, I think the Canyon is better value, it's lighter, it would probably be easier to live with and travel with. Given neither are local, I'd rather deal with Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't concerned about Canyon's location and what has been previously mentioned about the -possibility- of having a hard time getting parts, I'd maybe go with that.

I have a 2015 IA FRD, its nice, but the storage sucks (2015 doesn't have the bosses on the back of the seat tube for the new storage box). The bento box sucks too, even the new designed one isn't that great IMHO. Luckily for me I don't tend to carry much solid food, so I'll be taping a couple gels to the top of the small integrated stem, using the bento to hold a spare tube, and have the rest of my flat kit tucked up under the saddle. Cable routing through the integrated stem to the rear brake (and rd if using mechanical) is -very- tight.

I previously was using an '11 SC9. If I were doing it over again, a new trek SC would be near the top of my list, only downside being their shitty BB90 bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No-brainer: Canyon. IMHO, Felt does not currently have an integrated bike offering that competes with the Canyon bikes. (But, Canyon doesn't either, if you are in the US.)

Felt's only integrated bikes are the IA FRD at $15K and the IA2 at $7,500. Canyon has the (Coming Soon) Speedmax CF SLX 9.0 SL at $10K and 9.0 at $8,500. Their 8.0 SL is $6,500. I am not a fan of eTap on a TT bike, so I would vote for the Canyon both on price and preferred components.

Based on Felt's and Canyon's repeated (woman's/men's) wins at Kona, you probably would not give anything up on either for performance.

I own a Felt IA16, and I absolutely love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

This makes sense, if you never experienced Canyon's CX Service. I have a Speedmax CF SLX (Not yet available in the US) and I live in NYC.
I've had a mishap with one of their parts, send them an email, they replied on the same day, shipment came home three days after with the replacement parts via FedEx.

I can't have an opinion on the Felt, but I am madly in love with my Canyon.

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have bought the Speedmax CF SLX here in US.
Try to get a rear mount cage device from them? They have no idea when they might get them.
But as I said earlier, I love this bike! No problems. Putting a spare in the “secret compartment” is really tight though.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh on both

Is there an option C?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah dawg. Throw it up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get a Premier Tactical before either of those bikes any and every single day of the week,

When I buy bikes/parts I always have an aero benefit/value for my dollar(s) ratio in my head. Felt and Canyon fail on that ratio compared to the Tactical on both value and aerodynamically.

I have the wind tunnel data to back those claims up. Woof

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 18, 18 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on, I didnt have that on my radar but it's a solid option C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]it's a solid option C [/quote]

Personally I'd move the Premier to option A.

ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The speedmax that is available in the US is not on the same level as the IA. Now if you could get the speedmax SLX, then you should go canyon. If you can only get the regular speedmax, go with the IA.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 IA10......if the option was available to buy I would get the Canyon hands down even though I prefer the more sleek lines of the Felt vs. Canyon ore edgy lines. I agree with the other poster who said that for the value I prefer the Canyon and the CalPac honestly sucks you know what......

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@SBRcanuck, how complicated (and expensive) is to route new brake cables and other maintenance on IA FRD? Realize that integrated brakes are cool/fast but could be pain in the ass for maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'd get a Premier Tactical before either of those bikes any and every single day of the week,

When I buy bikes/parts I always have an aero benefit/value for my dollar(s) ratio in my head. Felt and Canyon fail on that ratio compared to the Tactical on both value and aerodynamically.

I have the wind tunnel data to back those claims up. Woof

im not gonna try and derail more, but i couldnt be happier with my tactical. wanna talk about after the sell service? i can talk directly to the guy that designed the bike on the phone / text / facebook. he freely gives out his contact to those that buy from him. on top of that he pays people to ride his bike. just submit your race info at the end of the year and you get cut a check.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Would you Rather : Felt IA or Canyon Speedmax [exos2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exos2000 wrote:
@SBRcanuck, how complicated (and expensive) is to route new brake cables and other maintenance on IA FRD? Realize that integrated brakes are cool/fast but could be pain in the ass for maintenance.

It wasn't -horrible-, just the way the rear brake cable housing comes out of the base bar, through the stem and under the stem cap to go into the frame, its very tight even when not using any spacers under the stem (worse if you are).
I haven't ever had to take it apart to travel. If I do start traveling to races, I will probably buy the premier bike case that allows you to leave the base bar on (like the scicon tri bag, but premier is hard sided).

If you were just trying to replace a -cable-, might not be so bad as long as you get it threaded in through the lever successfully. A new brake cable is, what, $6? Oh, and the rear 'integrated' brake caliper gets gummed up very easily, even the newer updated ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another option - I could not be happier with my Scott Plasma 5. It's just simply fast and has held up very well. The only negative was trying to run the etap cabling through the front end. That was a huge test of patience, but it's all hidden and clean now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next