Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Instead of buying a fan with a remote I picked up a 3 pack of remote plug switches (this one: https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

x2 on the remote plugs. I run two fans for a graduated approach to cooling - a box fan aimed at my side and a Lasko blower up front. I typically start out with nothing on, turn on the box fan a few minutes into the warm up then the Lasko once right about the time i start sweating. If it is cold in the basement and the intervals are not too intense, I will turn off the Lasko during rest periods.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that doesn't feel the need for a high volume fan blasting at me? I use a 8" desktop fan from a ways away, usually on medium setting. Anything to keep the air moving around me seems to be sufficient.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [mhaks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhaks wrote:
What are your suggestions/findings?

I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DNGSCM

Very good for $68.

Kid and pet safe.

I blast it on high and profit.

Just make sure you don't allow it to rip the curtains off your walls or knock over your wall hangings.

I'm thinking if I get 5 more of these bad boys I can build my own wind tunnel.

edit: in general, I recommend "blowers" instead of fans. Try doing searches on "blowers".

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Aug 20, 18 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't feel the need for a high volume fan blasting at me? I use a 8" desktop fan from a ways away, usually on medium setting. Anything to keep the air moving around me seems to be sufficient.

It depends heavily on how hot and humid the environment you are riding in is.

My garage is my pain cave, and I live in lovely Norcal, so it doesn't snow here.

In the winter, garage temps are typically 50-60F, which is pretty much perfect for training. I still need a fan when I'm hammering hard, but I push my fan on the lowest setting all the way across the room or even bounce the air off a wall since I need so little air to add cooling.

In the peak of summer though, if it's 90+ for a week straight, my garage will start to reflect outdoor temps, and I've worked out in there when it was 87F but dry. I was surprised to find that even my hardcore blower fan on MAX, which is really powerful, didn't afford enough cooling. Turns out if hot air is being blown at you, you need tremendous amounts of air to get a good cooling effect.

So yes, it's eminently possible to only need a tiny fan if you're working out in already cool conditions, even if you're going pretty hard. The superpowered fans are only needed when it's hot (80+F) in the room you're working out in, and I suspect if it's 90+F in that room, even 3 blower fans will not save you on interval day.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [mhaks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 for this remote lasko fan: https://www.target.com/...-remote/-/A-11190906

seems like oscillating defeats the purpose which IMO is to keep you cool enough to push hard vs wattage targets and get the most out of your session/build fitness. and then to get feel for wind resistance apparently. at any rate i like this fan bc you can easily increase air flow/power for better cooling during the harder efforts or whatever else you're trying to do. at max/hi setting, you'd better hope things are heavy or bolted down bc stuff will fly around the pain cave lol.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fab4mas wrote:
the problem in winter with fans is that they move very cold air in my pain cave . maybe this is not a problem for skin but it could be a big problem with lungs if you are doing a challenging workout.

Perhaps put it behind and aim it at your back? Your chest will block that wind and perhaps keep your breathing air a little calmer and warmer.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a small desk fan that I've used, and it's inadequate. Part of it is that it's old and sucks in general. Most of it is I need more cooling than that even on a recovery ride. I'm *dripping* after 15 minutes at <70% of FTP. Going to Home Depot and getting a blower today as the kid and work have me riding indoors more, even in the summer, so this thread is timely!
Last edited by: nash031: Aug 24, 18 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [nash031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else suffer from a runny nose as a result of all of the airflow? Wondering how to combat this aside from a separate towel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIG ASS FAN... the dude owns that company bought Lance's house in Austin, BTW.
Last edited by: dalava: Aug 24, 18 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if either of you will care, but that blower sucks a lot of power for the amount of air it moves. I have one in the garage that I used in the trainer room for a year. It moves the air at high velocity, but not high volume, so I replaced it with a cheap pedestal fan. The pedestal fan actually works better by moving more air around the room.

What was interesting was my energy usage went way down for the winter months. When I asked my electrician son if it was possible the fan was the reason (we are a solar powered all NG house so our power usage is independent of weather in the winter) he checked the amperage draw on both units. The carpet fan was pulling almost exactly 15 amps at high speed. The pedestal was pulling 4 amps at high speed. That is a big difference, even at 120 volts. Not to mention that 15 amps being pulled from a 15 amp receptacle is not a good idea, and only a little better on a 20 amp circuit.

So if you are running the fan for 3 hours a day 3 days a week like me and the wife were doing, that adds up to about an extra 16 KWh a week. Over 5 months about 325 KWh, compared to about 86KWh for the pedestal fan.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anther vote for Lasko. I’ve got the wind machine and it does the trick. Comes with a remote so you can adjust the speed without having to get off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
King Air 9220
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Q3RHK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I set up space heater behind to blow hot air
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HCE322V-Digital-Ceramic-Heater/dp/B00JLWQT4Y
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't remember the fan I used to use, it was a table top style, that I had on a tv table, but moved to a dyson pedestal fan and it is awesome, lots of air, really quiet.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of fan do you use for indoor training (zwift) [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vornado 630 (medium) - 3 speeds, moves a lot of air quietly with adjustable angle. It’s perfect for Zwift, spin bike w/ Peleton app and treadmill.
Quote Reply

Prev Next