Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Registering for a Half IM [jerryST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a good feeling about this race now.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I predict you will make very rapid and huge gains on that bike pace with a relatively minimal amount of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I hope so. I can't get any worse at it than I already am ;)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My running coach said the marathon will be a race for "fun" not to race - I'll run it and probably PR because the course is easier than my last one, but I'll truly peak for a "fall" marathon (late Nov or early Dec)

In the tri I did, 16mi bike in 1:03. That's the only time/distance I can give, I truly have NO experience there. But once I am allowed to bike again (it's a metatarsal sfx, not supposed to put ANY pressure on it yet) I will start biking again.

If you are 19 years old and your run coach has you doing marathons for fun, it's time for a new coach.

As for expecting to do a HIM 2 weeks after a marathon, very bad idea. Maybe if you were a seasoned athlete with several years of high volume training this might be something to consider, but even then highly questionable.

The fact that you have a running injury, do you think it may have anything to do with your coach's program?

Any time your are going over 20 miles on the run, you need to to really think hard about what you are doing, as runs of this length can actually do more harm than good, if your are not physically prepared.

Are you in college right now? Do they have varsity sports (swimming, cross country, track, or club cycling)? Any reason you are not taking advantage of this and trying to do marathons and HIMs.?

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a new coach. The injury is my fault for running too much just because I felt like doing so.

I enjoy running marathons, the spring race will be my second. He meant that I won't have enough time to train for it to race it in the best shape possible -- it will still be a good race, he just doesn't want me to get my hopes up of running a superfast time.

College stuff? I swim some of swim team workouts, I'm just not interested in racing for them because it would take away time from running - I couldn't swim all of their workouts and still run or bike, it'd be too much. As for college XC, no, I like longer distance stuff and always have. I did a 15k when I was 12 and from then I've only been interested in longer races. Loved my fall marathon, cannot wait to do another. BTW, my coach IS the college XC and track coach.

Quote Reply

Prev Next