Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Timberman + Mooseman Half IMs
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at possibly doing the Mooseman or Timberman 1/2 IM... are these beginner-friendly courses? Do they fill up fast (like do I need to register soon if I want any hope of doing either?)

Thank you :)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 23, 05 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the answer is "Yes". I am looking to sign up for both this year as well. Will be my first HIM. I hear they are very well organized, and excellent for first timers. I also understand they are filling up more quickly than last year. Hear is a thread the RD frequents and contributes to regarding the registration progress. http://timbermantri.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [immyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I did the Mooseman 1/4 and the Timberman 1/2 Ironman events. (Depending on your experience and fitness, I would recommend the same.) Last year was my first year doing Tris and I found both to be GREAT! The Mooseman water temps were tough at first but not bad once we got going and the bike was fun - a few short climbs but nothing crazy. The Timberman 1/2 is a more challenging course with a good deal of climbing - but again - well supported so a beginner could finish it and have fun doing so. The runs were very fun and well packed with enthusiatic volunteers and well stocked aid stations. I HIGHLY recommend you add both of these events to you A List this year.

<insert clever motivational thing here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the timberman half last year. It was my first HIM and I have absolutely no regrets making the trip from NC o NH to participate in it. Excellent race venue, great course, supportive staff and volunteers. Heck, I liked it so much I moved to NH!

Well, I did move to NH, but the Timberman was not the real reason I moved, just a nice benefit. Of course, since I am here anyway, I'm registered for Timberman 2006!

If you are wanting to do Timberman, I'd not delay entry. Since the t-man is a 70.3 event this year it will be hard to judge when it closes out - I think that the registration is about 650 entrants (or so) at this point. If you are serious about doing it - I'd not delay in signing up (especially since I assume that you are in or around NH anyway). Check in on the Timbermantri.com forums to keep up to date on the number of entrants. Heck, keith himself might pop in on this thread to speak up since its cold and snowy up here right now.

Good Luck - I hope to see you on the course!

jsargevt

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [jsargevt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit biased, but I think both Mooseman and Timberman are pretty great:) Fire away with any questions you have. Yup, very cold and snowy up here:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done both. I did Mooseman and I thought the bike course was very tough. Granted, I was not having a good day, but there is one hill about 6 miles (approx.) into the course that just about killed me. I think the Timberman course is much easier. There are a few tough climbs at the beginning of the course, but the rest is smooth sailing. Lots of time to get in the aerobars and crank.

I thought the Mooseman run course was tougher too.

Both are TOP NOTCH races, however. Keith does an amazing job. Very much a "big time" atmosphere. Timberman draws the bigger names (last year Chris Legh, Kate Major, Susan Williams all raced). The water at Mooseman was chilly, but not too bad once you got moving. Definitely requires a wetsuit.

I would highly recommend both races. Just fantastic. I just think Mooseman is the tougher course.

By the way, you might want to change the subject title of your post - you'll get more responses since these are popular races that a lot of people have done.
Last edited by: uptown423: Dec 23, 05 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [KJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you must be the race director or something...

I'm very new at triathlons. I've done one (800yd/16.1mi/4.5mi) but I have plenty of swimming experience (6yrs competitive, training as much as a college team right now but on my own, some open water swimming) and running experience (road races from 15k - marathon). Biking is lacking and a "challenging bike course" worries me a bit, as I am not an especially good cyclist... but that can be worked on.

I want to do a race that's nicely organized and first-time-half-IM friendly, because I'm new at this. It sounds like from other people's posts that both of them are.

I realized that my spring marathon is 2wks before Mooseman, so I don't think that one will work out.

Do you get many really young athletes? I'm 18, will be 19 on race date.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I'm the race director...I'd definitely NOT do Mooseman Half, if you have a marathon 2 weeks before. Timberman would fit much more nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying hard to remember what being 19 felt like, but even at that point I'm not sure I could've rebounded from a marathon in time to do a 1/2 iron, so I agree with KJ that that would be tough. As for doing the international distance Moose on Saturday the 3rd, you might be able to make that work. The bike is not easy, but as someone inferred above, once you are past that steep climb at the north end of Newfound Lake it is not a difficult course. For the run, well, it rolls some and has one hillish thing as you get close to the turnaround, but otherwise it also is not difficult - very beautiful, but not difficult. The swim is sweet and calm, and maybe a tad nippy, but your swim experience will make it fly.

There are more user-friendly courses out there, BUT there are not any races that are more user-friendly than Mooseman and Timberman. Fabulous venues, lots of related happenings (expos, pasta dinners, post-race food, live music), top-notch organization....ya gotta do 'em! Remember, you're 18 going on 19 - you're young, strong, infallible, and invincible! (And if you doubt any of that, maybe approach the marathon as a training day for the Saturday Mooseman..........yes?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biased, Keith?! No?!

How close are both to filling up? I've been procrastinating the sign-up process, but I imagine I should do it soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [Spastic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mooseman is about half full, Timberman is about 2/3 full...I'd guess T-Man will be full by the end of Jan-mid Feb, the way things are going. Moose will be full about March or so. Just a guess...
Not biased, just telling it like it is...:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Mooseman is about half full, Timberman is about 2/3 full...I'd guess T-Man will be full by the end of Jan-mid Feb, the way things are going. Moose will be full about March or so. Just a guess...
Not biased, just telling it like it is...:)

Come on Keith...second post and still no mention of the Colonial Tri?!;O)

I've already secured my spot so I'll sell it for ya! LOL He's got a great looking new 1/2 at the end of the season too.

~~~~
Nancy
~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI, but I basically had your running, cycling and tri experience, and definitely NOT your swimming experience, and was able to comfortably finish T-man as my first half.

If you just focus on cycling for a whlie, you should have no problem. Definitely cut back on swimming, you could probably breeze the course with 2 workouts a week. Put your time into your weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [SteveBradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Young and strong, yes.

Infallible and invincible? Yeah, that's why I've got a sfx right now...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh. Ahh. Very sorry about the sfx. Foot, tibia, where? If it's tibial, I can offer empathy; the foot, just sympathy. Whichever, though, take your time with the recovery and don't rush things!
Quote Reply
Re: Timberman + Mooseman Half IMs [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a lot of value in " Baptism by Fire ". Sign up for Timberman today!

Its a challenging course, but you have more than ample time to train for it. You'll love the swim course.

Timberman has a Big Time feel to it. Keith Jordan puts on a world class event , and the 1/2 has a history of top Elite's participating.

I was really impressed when I saw a highway plaque just outside Elacoya that was dedicated to the Timberman triathlon , you know the kind usually used to signify a state park,or historical landmark.

Very cool town.

The run course hugs the lake,plus - you get to see the elites, studs and studettes hammer home as its 2 loops.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik,

I did both 1/2's last year, awesome!! Keith does an great job. Lots of stuff going on for a memorable weekend of fun. Timberman is a great goal race for your first 1/2. Very beginner-friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timberman was my first half this year. I flew from Borneo to do that and a couple of other events. The reputation really is deserved, but it's not an easy bike course. As someone coming from a place that has no hills, it was a bit of a shock to find quite so many.

Keith, I think I must hold the record for furthest distance travelled for your events, as I was living almost exactly half way round the world from New Hampshire.

Tigerchik, I couldn't think of a better half to do as your first, and it really does feel like you're in the big league. When I swam out to warm up and then turned to look back at the shore, it looked just like the pictures you see in all the magazines. My (fairly long) race report was posted on slowtwitch, so a search should bring it up.

Have fun,

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I can honestly tell you they are two of the best 1/2s I've done. TM was a bit of a struggle this year after having raced LP, but MM was the perfect LP warm-up. You have every right to be biased, considering the fantastic job you do with your events. Thanks and happy holidays!
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [Spastic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, your check is in the mail:) Just got done running the Timberman run course. People are running around naked here in NH...40 degrees and no wind!!!! A veritable heatwave!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timberman was my 2nd half IM last year as a tune-up to GFT this past fall. I also did Tupper Lake about two months prior. While both races were wonderful, the atmosphere at Timberman was just something to experienced. Race course-wise, it's challenging with the bike being a rolling course and the run course, while flat, can be tough after the long bike course.

But the pre-race festivities, lectures, presentations, and expo at Timberman is what everything worth it for them. It was hands-down an amazing feeling to be there b/c the locals treat all the triathletes like celebrities. I'm still contemplating about doing this one but haven't decided yet, might just do it was a relay since it is about 3 wks before SOS and 4 before USAT Halfmax... shall see
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik,

With strengths in running, swimming, and a running related injury, you are in a prime position to work on your biking. I think you will be surprised at how quickly cycling fitness comes if you are already fit. Plus, it is a lot of fun.

You should post what your previous cycling results have been (speed/distance) and how many hours/week you plan to devote to cycling and I would bet you would get some great suggestions for workouts. If I were you, I would keep the running to a minimum while recovering from the injury and spend the time cycling.

I did the Mooseman last year, and have heard people say the course was very hilly, but I didn't think it was that bad at all. As others have mentioned, Keith and his gang do a fantastic job of running these events. My wife watched the race and her reaction was "I'm doing it next year..." The hill mentioned earlier in the thread is steep, but not that long and there was a person dressed as a devil jumping around giving you encouragement. What else do you need?

kdw

PS Maybe a marathon isn't the best first event coming off a sfx? Not much time before you have to start running a lot for a marathon in May. If you started biking/swimming a bunch right now, you could do Mooseman Olympic and then Timberman 1/2. Just my .02
Last edited by: kdw: Dec 24, 05 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My running coach said the marathon will be a race for "fun" not to race - I'll run it and probably PR because the course is easier than my last one, but I'll truly peak for a "fall" marathon (late Nov or early Dec)

In the tri I did, 16mi bike in 1:03. That's the only time/distance I can give, I truly have NO experience there. But once I am allowed to bike again (it's a metatarsal sfx, not supposed to put ANY pressure on it yet) I will start biking again.

Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a Half IM [SteveBradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4th metatarsal.

:(

Quote Reply
Re: Timberman + Mooseman Half IMs [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll look for your report. Thanks.

Quote Reply

Prev Next