Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]

Newduguy wrote:
My apologies, I didn't mean to offend you so.

I have to ask, why is it so important that people show respect when, where, and in the way YOU expect them to? That's what this whole thread is about. Who are you that your opinion should dictate how others behave? Have some damn humility.

Sensitive topic, we are good.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Dan, please notice I was not responding to you. I have decided to let this go at your request. This forum should be about the sport. This isn't really fun

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Schonner] [ In reply to ]

Schonner wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Schonner wrote:
If you don’t stand proud for your own country, what do you you stand for?

i posted to this thread a couple of times. not really to express an opinion, rather to either answer questions or in the hope that my attempt at moderating the thread would keep it on the rails.

did you happen to read any of those posts?

Apologies, Dan. No disrespect. TR

the point here is this: there were, i think, 3 people who served in the armed forces on this thread who either choose not to stand for the anthem, or find the anthem either inappropriate or irrelevant to a sporting event. now, me, when i hear the anthem i stand, i see if there's a flag i can face, i may sing, and i may do it with my hand over my heart. however, i'm not going to tell someone - anyone, and especially someone who's served as you have - how to comport themselves, because there's one thing i know: whatever i think now, i'm going to think differently in 10 years. so i tell folks what i think, if they want to know; but i very rarely tell them they should do as i do.

i stopped eating meat just over a year ago, and a large part of that is for ethical reasons. but if you'd have told me a decade ago i should stop eating meat i'd've told you to eff off. so, i don't ever tell anyone they shouldn't eat meat. i just quietly order the vegan patty. but more to the point...

if you'd have met any of the 3 men referenced above, or they you, at a race, perhaps this weekend, and because it's memorial day maybe the race announcer would ask at the awards ceremony for all the vets to stand, and you all stood, and you saw each other, and you then chatted yourselves up afterward, what do you think you'd have found out about each other? my guess is, you'd be fast friends. maybe you'd have traded numbers. you'd have a lot in common. and you'd have no idea that they chose not to stand for the anthem. and what you didn't know wouldn't have hurt you.

you have a lot more in common with these guys than separates you. and i promise you, if you were at that race, face to face, you'd settle this difference over a beer and a brat on the grass and it'd be a lot different than it is with just keyboards in front of you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 25, 18 17:53

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]

Greatzaa wrote:
Dan, please notice I was not responding to you. I have decided to let this go at your request. This forum should be about the sport. This isn't really fun

thx. but i let this thread go for a reason. i know you guys. i meet you guys. all around the country. and what i find is, your political persuasion is entirely disconnected with the honor with which you comport yourselves on the field of play. among trade, religious and affinity groups with which i've been associated our sport's adherents sit at the apex when it comes to personal honor, discipline, what it takes to be a good friend, how people sacrifice their time and treasure for their fellows.

so, basically, sometimes i shake my head in wonder at how it is you can believe what you believe politically. and, you me. but, then, we know each other, and we each recognize quality in the other. so, rather than saying to hell with you, i listen to you. because i can't just dismiss you while recognizing how otherwise accomplished you are. so we talk. and i find out why you think what you think.

when triathlon got started, and over the first 2 decades, the most engaged-in occupations of triathletes were businessmen, lawyers, doctors and firemen. and, a high percentage of veterans. this more or less continues. high achievers. hard chargers. if you all knew each other the way i know you, i can't imagine what power could come from that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Slowman wrote:
Twinkie wrote:
If you don't stand for the anthem that is your choice. It is also my choice to think you are a piece of sh*t for not doing so. My grandfather - although he did fight for your right to choose whether you want to be a disrespectful p*ssy - did not sit in a German concentration camp for 9 months getting fed a potato and a glass of water a day so you could ACTUALLY be a huge p*ssy and decide you do not have a little bit of respect for something that means so much to so many people.

I do not care if I get banned for this. You need to hear it. (apologies moderators - but c'mon)

#sorry

terrtri wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Yes.

Good answer. In fact, some bike races prohibit the wearing of black socks. Perfectly legal to do so.

And, although a lot of people don't seem to know this . . . the NFL teams COULD legally fire any player who refuses to stand for the National Anthem. Legally? Absolutely. Smart business? Probably not. Hence, the standoff.

The 1st Amendment protects a person from government interference with MOST (not all) speech. It does not protect anyone from the negative consequences of their speech. If you get fired, get DQ'd, get thrown off somebody's property, get punched in the face (depending on what you said and to whom you said it), you're on your own.

Thank you, that was very informative for me. So it comes down to what is deemed offensive to the majority at a triathlon.

what i'm not responsible for is knowing the answer to the question, tho i do think if a *private* RD wants concessions and permission from a *public* venue then that private RD should say in advance that it intends to punish its customers if those customers do not comport with that private RD's particular wishes that are tangential to the event itself. otherwise that RD is going to likely face some scrutiny when it wants those permits the following year.

what i am responsible for is the comportment of folks on this forum. this is arguably better argued in the lavender room, but i'll leave it here. so, you're right, i'm the one issuing the DQ here.

me, i stand for the anthem. i love our country, i love what it stands for, i honor the sacrifices made. nevertheless, at 61 years old, i reflect on what i thought i knew *for certain* at age-21, at age-31, at age-41, and i note how i know a lot less for certain now than i did then. my world grew. my empathy grew. my understanding grew. and i found i needed to be a lot more flexible in my thinking or else i would end up dying having lived a rather fruitless life.

i can't imagine life as a female, black, or asian, or gay, or muslim, or someone much richer or poorer than i am, and the only thing i really require for someone to be an american is patriotism. how people display their patriotism is not mine to decide. but my world had to get bigger for me to wrap my arms around that.

so, if you really want to get banned, i'll oblige. but what i'd rather see happen is that you understand that your world is going to get bigger, or it's going to get smaller. it's up to you which way that goes. entropy and laziness causes my world to get smaller. it's kind of like wheelsucking. that's the easy route. for your world to get bigger you're going to have to stick your own nose into the wind and take a risk.

Just general question for this thread to ponder about. Why is standing deemed more respectful than sitting. There are places in teh world where bowing and putting your head down is a sign of respect. Could some groups not decide that sitting, kneeling, hand standings, head standing, jogging on the spot are there ways of showing respect (for whatever reason)?

I was at the Canadian Masters Nationals last weekend. Anthem plays, I start singing in a low tone. Just above muttering but you could hear it. I was in the extreme minority. But that's my way of saying thanks at that moment to the nation that gave me a good life, and to the volunteers about to give me a great event. But I could be hand standing and doing the same. I'm a vet (not a war vet, just a vet) and at Remebrance Day on Nov 11th, some old wank was giving me grief for talking....I shut him up by saying that I have dead classmates who died so I could yap freely on Nov 11th. And yes, our National Anthem in Canada is sexist, and it's even a lie, because it talks about the country being glorious and free, yet we have Queen who lives on the Mall in London who is technically the head of our state....but I'm not getting too caught up on the actual wording be it sexist or lying about our technical freedom, because in general I believe we are largely a beacon internationally when it comes to equality, and we're functionally a pretty free country....so I sing through the lies in our anthem, given when the song was written relative to today.

All this to say, I think there are different ways to show respect and thanks and be a supporter of one's country. An outward gesture can be hard to judge. Anyone who has served in their nation's armed forces in my mind signed a blank cheque (willing to die) for their country and may have reasons for how they want to show respect and thanks. For the rest who did not serve and never wrote the blank cheque, they still get a pass because the guys who wrote the blank cheque wrote it so you can freely decide how to live provided it is not hurting anyway and within the country's laws.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

Re: "our National Anthem in Canada is sexist"

Dev, maybe you missed this since you've been busy with your startup but the wording on our anthem changed earlier this year from "all thy sons" to "all of us". Still sounds a little weird to me after singing the old way for so many years, but I approve of the change and it actually makes a lot more sense.

Also, even with the Queen as our head of state, I still feel a little free and glorious on occasion.

@Kid

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [atkid] [ In reply to ]

Since this thread seems to be somewhat about defining patriotism, here is my definition:
- demonstrating through your every day behavior that you care about your neighbors, near and far, and treat all people with respect, regardless if their opinions match yours or not, and show tolerance when things go sideways, and are always willing to help when able. Basically- being a good Boyscout! How you present yourself in front of the flag or during an the anthem is a personal choice. Being a good patriot is respecting that choice, whether you agree with it or not.
We are all entitled to our own opinions, what we aren’t entitled to is trying to bully or force our opinions on others.
#embracediversity
#rejectdevisiveness

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]

Same here.

jstonebarger wrote:
Just under 400 black people have been killed by police since Kaepernick first took a knee in 2016. Without his protest I wouldn't have read that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm

Any idea what the reception was like for vets returning from WW1 and WW2? My impression is that they were revered like vets are today, but it's possible that the history books have been slightly augmented to compensate for Vietnam, as you said.

Slowman wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:
I stand for your national anthem when I am sporting events, I do find it all pretty weird though.

In other countries no one cares about if you stand or not, they generally don't care if someone is in the army or not either. I have never heard someone thank someone for their service who isn't American!

Why do you thank people in the army, but not the police, doctors or the fire brigade?

I have a theory about this. We treated our soldiers very shabbily upon their return from Vietnam. It was unfair, because our citizens took out their frustrations on soldiers, who didn’t make decisions or policy.

Starting with the first gulf war our society recognized our own bad behavior and made certain soldiers serving didn’t ever feel what Vietnam vets experienced. We haven’t yet swung back from that and I’m not sorry about that.

But I’m with you. There are others who also deserve our thanks. I’m fact, I think we sometimes give the Vietnam vet treatment to certain who really deserve much better.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Schonner] [ In reply to ]

Good lord. First answer is that there are a myriad of other things that you can stand for; one being the welfare of people less fortunate than yourself, which is demonstrated both by the origin of the kneeling debate and by the conversation happening here in real-time. Second, why in the world would you think that anyone is obligated to provide you with an answer to that question?

Schonner wrote:
If you don’t stand proud for your own country, what do you you stand for?

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [domingjm] [ In reply to ]

i think we're probably done here. if there was good that came from the thread (and i hope there was) i think it's been accomplished. accordingly, thread locked.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next