Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not standing for the national anthem at races.

I currently don't a specticle of it, I just don't stand for the national anthem anywhere it is played. I was wondering if I could be disqualified for not standing for the anthem at triathlon events? I have had people make comments to me, which I ignore and race directors threaten to disqualify me if I do it again at one of their races.

I am not making a spectical, I don't kneel and just sit quietly off to the side trying not to disturb anyone. I served in the US Army so it not that I am not patroitic, I just choose not to stand for my own personal beliefs. I just want to know if anyone know if I can legally be disqualified from an event? Does my Constitutional 1st amendment right extend to triathlon events?

I am not looking to argue about why I don't stand either.

Thanks,

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [terrtri] [ In reply to ]

I don't think you can be disqualified from the race but it does qualify you as being a douche

terrtri wrote:

Thanks,

Don't be coy. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted anything at all. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

Rather than worrying whether your could be DQ'd or not...perhaps your time would be better spent actually reading what the 1st amendment says and the rights granted to you under it.
Last edited by: Twotter: May 25, 18 7:55

terrtri wrote:
Does my Constitutional 1st amendment right extend to triathlon events?
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea what the 1st amendment protects you from.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]

I am just looking to see if this is a disqualifing thing. I am sure it would not be if I was from another country competing in a race.

thanks,

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]

mbwallis wrote:
terrtri wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have no idea what the 1st amendment protects you from.
You mean kids yelling "It's a free country!" after refusing to clean their room aren't actually citing the constitution?

Who wants popcorn?

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]

T-wrecks wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
terrtri wrote:

You mean kids yelling "It's a free country!" after refusing to clean their room aren't actually citing the constitution?

Children of parents live under a dictatorship not a democracy. Please come up with a better example to make your point. Thanks.:-)

will you stand if the answer is yes? or would you go to court over it? I'm just curious if you're behavior would change depending on the answer. I do find it interesting when people who oppose those who kneel or don't stand for the national anthem get all righteous and bent out of shape over it as that just brings more attention/power to it which is typically the desired effect.

terrtri wrote:

Regardless of weather you are DQ'd or not....No, it does not.

The constitution regulates the behavior of the US Government...not the actions of a private entity.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [mickison] [ In reply to ]

mickison wrote:
will you stand if the answer is yes? or would you go to court over it?.

If the answer was "yes" you can legitimately be disqualified from an event for not standing for the National anthem and you are NOT from another country, then I would stand relucantly. Then I afterwords I would secure an attorney and explore in court if that is legal or not to enforce.

The 1st Amendment only protects you from government persecution, not private enterprises (the race RD in this case). They have a right to enforce their rules, you also have a right to not sign-up for their events.

terrtri wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
terrtri wrote:

Children of parents live under a dictatorship not a democracy. Please come up with a better example to make your point. Thanks.:-)

You may want to come up with a better example as well...b/c in the US, we live under a representative republic, not a democracy. Again...you may be better served going back to studying up on high school civics than the path you are on now.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]

Tom_hampton wrote:
terrtri wrote:

The constitution regulates the behavior of the US Government...not the actions of a private entity.

So does that mean that private entity organizating a race has the right to disqualify someone for anything they don't like personally that is not a part of the stated rules? So if I wear a pink tri suit and the race director and others are personally offended, can I be disqualified?

terrtri wrote:
mickison wrote:
will you stand if the answer is yes? or would you go to court over it?.

If the answer was "yes" you can legitimately be disqualified from an event for not standing for the National anthem and you are NOT from another country, then I would stand relucantly. Then I afterwords I would secure an attorney and explore in court if that is legal or not to enforce.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/About/Multisport/Competitive-Rules#article 3

3.3.b. I guess under this rule, an RD could argue that it is offensive to them and DQ you.

I'm just commenting on whether you could be DQed or not, not on what I think of forced patriotism.
However, if you did serve then 36. US Code Section 301 does apply to you, if I understand correctly.

terrtri wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
terrtri wrote:

So does that mean that private entity organizating a race has the right to disqualify someone for anything they don't like personally that is not a part of the stated rules? So if I wear a pink tri suit and the race director and others are personally offended, can I be disqualified?

Yes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [spool] [ In reply to ]

spool wrote:
The 1st Amendment only protects you from government persecution, not private enterprises (the race RD in this case). They have a right to enforce their rules, you also have a right to not sign-up for their events.

Thank, good answer. So does each race director have the power over his/her event or does the USAT regarding this? I just want to know to see if I need to contact the USAT or each race director to see if it is okay to not stand. Thanks.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Twotter] [ In reply to ]

If you don't stand for the anthem that is your choice. It is also my choice to think you are a piece of sh*t for not doing so. My grandfather - although he did fight for your right to choose whether you want to be a disrespectful p*ssy - did not sit in a German concentration camp for 9 months getting fed a potato and a glass of water a day so you could ACTUALLY be a huge p*ssy and decide you do not have a little bit of respect for something that means so much to so many people.

I do not care if I get banned for this. You need to hear it. (apologies moderators - but c'mon)

#sorry

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]

The GMAN wrote:
terrtri wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
terrtri wrote:

Yes.
To expand on this, unless the disqualification otherwise offends applicable human rights legislation, the RD can pretty much make any rule they want. If the rule in question is not clearly posted and available to all entrants, one could argue that the RD overstepped its bounds but the likely remedy would only be a refund of your race fee.

terrtri wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
terrtri wrote:

Generally, yes. They could say no pink suits allowed and DQ anyone who wears them. What they cannot do is disqualify someone because of their status in what the supreme Court has seemed a protected class. So you cannot be dq'd because of your race or religion. But mostly they can DQ you for anything they want and not be breaking any laws.

The US government cannot do anything to you because you refuse to stand for the anthem. Well... Except apparently the president can threaten your employer who will then force you to stand for the anthem in fear that he will gin up customer revolts and cause them to lose money....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/About/Multisport/Competitive-Rules#article 3

3.3.b. I guess under this rule, an RD could argue that it is offensive to them and DQ you.

I'm just commenting on whether you could be DQed or not, not on what I think of forced patriotism.

However, if you did serve then 36. US Code Section 301 does apply to you, if I understand correctly.

That is good to know, thanks. Under rule 3.3b it could anything deemed offensive. "3.b. Conduct themselves in a manner that is not offensive in any way to fellow participants, spectators, officials or volunteers and is considered reasonable and acceptable in the community.

So the USAT DOES have forced patriotism too. Good to know. Thanks.

Re: Not standing for the national anthem at races. [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Twinkie wrote:
If you don't stand for the anthem that is your choice. It is also my choice to think you are a piece of sh*t for not doing so. My grandfather - although he did fight for your right to choose whether you want to be a disrespectful p*ssy - did not sit in a German concentration camp for 9 months getting fed a potato and a glass of water a day so you could ACTUALLY be a huge p*ssy and decide you do not have a little bit of respect for something that means so much to so many people.

I do not care if I get banned for this. You need to hear it. (apologies moderators - but c'mon)

#sorry

Fortunately I am old enough not to be around when people like this become the majority.....

I wouldn't go that far. I think it's to avoid people exposing themselves, yelling profanities etc.
But I could see an RD use this to force participants to stand for the national anthem.
I don't see how to enforce it really though...would they force non US nationals to stand too?

terrtri wrote:
I currently don't a specticle of it, I just don't stand for the national anthem anywhere it is played. I was wondering if I could be disqualified for not standing for the anthem at triathlon events? I have had people make comments to me, which I ignore and race directors threaten to disqualify me if I do it again at one of their races.

I am not making a spectical, I don't kneel and just sit quietly off to the side trying not to disturb anyone. I served in the US Army so it not that I am not patroitic, I just choose not to stand for my own personal beliefs. I just want to know if anyone know if I can legally be disqualified from an event? Does my Constitutional 1st amendment right extend to triathlon events?

Thanks,

Third time's the charm..

Prev Next