Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Jeff1963 wrote:
Calamity Jane 88: Exactly. Great comment and suggestion. I agree with you 100%.

Outside of the obvious, why would a human being (biker, with similar funny tight fitting clothing and a helmut) not give a head nod or a hand wave as they pass somebody. Great common sense behavioral science perspective. THANKS.

Because extroverts annoy us.

Ah, you stinker! I wish I could give you a big hug! Guess what? I'm an introvert, too! I love all the things we have in common. It's so fun!! And that's why I'll be waving AND thumbs-upping you!
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: May 22, 18 17:05
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Your target audience is 100% me. I hate the expectation that I have to acknowledge someone that I don't know just because we both own bicycles.[/quote]

Boy, you really chap my hide. Yes, I seriously expect you to look me in the eyes and bob your head, just a little, to acknowledge my humanity and our shared interests.

You like biking. So do I! You wear tight-fitting clothing. So do I! You almost got hit by a car. Me too! You hang out on slowtwitch too much. Ditto!

Most of ladies at the PTA say I'm crazy for doing this fun stuff. But I know you understand why this biking is better than not biking. Sometimes I feel so alone... but then I see YOU out biking. I'm glad to see you! Hi!![/quote]
Thats a fair way to feel, I just happen to disagree. I don't mean anything in a malicious way if I don't wave or nod or frankly even look. Its just that I'm not interested by the fact that someone else has a bike. Same way I don't strike up a convo with every yahoo I see wearing scrubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
spudone wrote:
Jeff1963 wrote:

Outside of the obvious, why would a human being (biker, with similar funny tight fitting clothing and a helmut) not give a head nod or a hand wave as they pass somebody. Great common sense behavioral science perspective. THANKS.

Ah, you stinker! I wish I could give you a big hug! Guess what? I'm an introvert, too! I love all the things we have in common. It's so fun!! And that's why I'll be waving AND thumbs-upping you!
More evidence that women want to get in your pants when you're a jerk.

No wave, works every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
spudone wrote:
Jeff1963 wrote:

Yikes. I was only trying to tease you into being less of a jerk. I admit defeat. But I'll still smile and wave because most people are nicer than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
spudone wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
spudone wrote:
Jeff1963 wrote:

Yikes. I was only trying to tease you into being less of a jerk. I admit defeat. But I'll still smile and wave because most people are nicer than you.
If you didn't catch it, I was ripping off:

Still not waving though :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always on a road bike. I flick out two fingers while on hoods or in drops...you know: a peace sign.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Jeff1963] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ever notice how motorcyclists (especially the Harleys) always wave at us cyclists? I take a cue from them and always wave back. If they want to welcome me to their brotherhood, I want to welcome them to mine.

Whenever I go hiking in the Dolomites, every single person (unless they're American) greets me with a cheerful "Salve!" Life is a thoroughfare of woe. But the bonhomie that I experience from the Harley rider's wave and the Italians' "Salve" is one of precious few things that helps make it enjoyable. Why not pass it along?

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 23, 18 16:48
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Ever notice how motorcyclists (especially the Harleys) always wave at us cyclists? I take a cue from them and always wave back. If they want to welcome me to their brotherhood, I want to welcome them to mine.

I almost always wave or nod my head. And definitely wave when cars wait for me and wave me through.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Jeff1963] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really curious to know where you are riding / based? Out here in the SF Bay area (I'm East Bay-based), pretty much most of the people who are seriously into cycling / tri will wave or nod I've seen. Though, I'll admit, it does get tiring after a while on a crowded Saturday morning so I wouldn't expect it much later than the early morning hours - it just get's to be too much after the 50th or so person :-P!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
I NEVER get a wave back - at least from the road cyclists. The tri guys will usually head nod or some type of acknowledgement but the roadies, I might as well be a Welsh in King Alfreds castle in Wessex

Uuhh, ..., say what? Can you translate for this uneducated sod?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next