Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bike etiquette - open to changing it?
Quote | Reply
All: what about a simple four finger wave, (still keeping your hands on the handle bars) to bikers going in the opposition direction, or especially somebody we are passing? It seems like such a non social, inconsiderate gesture to do anything other than that.

I am a 20x Ironman guy. I bike solo most of the time, I am not starved for attention, I am not angry, I am not trying to be self righteous, but it seems so easy to offer a simple smile with 4 fingers to say hello to our fellow biker (ESPECIALLY WHEN WE PASS SOMEBODY). Most of us are feeling a little vulnerable to 3,000 lb cars, those getting passed wished they were you and a little gesture to 'one of us' on the road makes it feel like just a little more welcoming community.

All: I know there are exceptions (1000's of riders on a Saturday in SD or Colorado springs), and it is understandable to pick your spots.

Sorry to bore those who feel different, but if you are ever biking in Seattle, I am that tri geek who will be giving you a finger wave from my Aero position and if I am fortunate enough to be passing you (coming off a 3 day rest period :-)), you will always get a right hand wave acknowledging you. Who is committed to try and change our culture? I am.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Jeff1963] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wave whether they wave back or not.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you're going on about. At least 95% of all the cyclist I encounter on the road give some sort of fellow-cyclist recognition. If I'm passing someone on the road, I don't normally wave but give some kind of verbal, "Hello" or "Hey". Do you want something else?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Out on rides 90%+ always give a nod or wave.

I like to even try to say “hi” or “good morning” when passing people on the bike in races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commend you, but your target audience is wrong. Like others said, most cyclist waive anyway. Where we are vulnerable is with motorists. I wave to all motorists who come by me. I think we should all do the same to be good ambassadors for all cyclists.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

My target audience sounds like is not you, my target audience are those who don't give a head nod or acknowledgement. Simple acknowledgement is all that is needed.

I bike a lot in two areas (Seattle and Southern CA). I did a little test on my 2 hour ride today. The Seattlelites were pretty responsive (7 out of 10). My experience might be with more of the So. CA riders so I could stand to be corrected. All good and keep them head nods coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff1963 wrote:
Thank you.

My target audience sounds like is not you, my target audience are those who don't give a head nod or acknowledgement. Simple acknowledgement is all that is needed.

But why is it needed?

I lived in Asia for five years. At first I'd always wave or nod or something to every foreigner I'd see. But then one day someone I was with noticed and asked why I did that, and if I'd do that in America or Europe or something...

Then I realized it was some "need" of my own I was trying to get others to fulfill. Turns out it's not a "need" at all, and I just needed to worry about me and not whether or not someone else acknowledged me.

So I'd focus on not getting to tore up if people ignore you. Sometimes they may genuinely not notice you. And sometimes they may have more pressing issues to concern themselves with. I wouldn't let it dictate how you feel in any way, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seattle is the worst.

I'm the token guy waving back.
Last edited by: whittimd: May 20, 18 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't always wave or nod at other cyclists. Often I am too focused on the road or my effort to think about it; sometimes the road I am on and the technicalities of the course make it more difficult. (nodding with hands in the drops is not that easy). When I'm riding my TT bike chances of me doing anything are very small. It's not that I'm an asshole (at least not in that sense) but I want to keep my hands properly on the bars and not do something every 5 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm anti-social generally, but almost always wave on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a slow biker, so I get passed a lot. Probably 50% of cyclists will offer some type of verbal greeting, and almost all will acknowledge me in some way. People going the other direction mostly ignore me, but I guess that doesn't really bother me. I appreciate the friendly greetings I do get and try to give the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Great comment. I would like to see the cycling community have a similiar warmth as the motorcycle community with a hand wave ( in the opposite direction) where safety is not compromised. My biggest request are from those cyclists who pass others.

Friendly point of reminder to other readers: I am not suggesting all cyclist, only a large % (from my experience) don’t acknowledge another rider when passing another cyclist on their right, I am merely strongly suggesting that we try too where safety allows it. I think it is the considerate and respectful gesture.

I am glad to hear you are experiencing something different. Perhaps my experiences are an anomaly. Thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry on waving, just don't get upset if people don't always respond, they might be an asshole but more likely they just didn't notice your wave, are in the middle of a hard interval and don't want to spare the energy, or have already seen 100 cyclists that morning and can't wave at all of them.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: May 21, 18 21:25
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
I am more communicative with cars. Signaling my turns and intentions. Giving a wave, a nod and a thumbs up if they acknowledge my presence on the road and/or yield to me.

This.

Where I ride there are more than a few hits over the summer periods. Combination of tourists in cars and tourists on bikes makes for grim stats (44 in Summer of 2017, Orihuela Costa).

So when someone gives me a wide berth when I'm on the bike, or waits for me to clear a narrow bit, they get an exaggerated thumbs up or a wave from me.

On the other hand, I tend to be over-cautious when I'm in the car and around cyclists.

Here's hoping that karma indeed does work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
would like to see the cycling community have a similiar warmth as the motorcycle community with a hand wave

You have to admit, when you really think about this, its a bit bizzare. "We both ride bikes, so acknowledge me." What if we applied that to other stuff. "We are both wearing the same shoes, but that guy didnt wave at me, what a dick!"

I realize that one's far fetched but how about sports teams. Theres one that is pretty normal. Especially if out of tiwn and wearing a hat, you may get a waive or comment frim a fellow fan. But you wouldnt think something is wrong or needs to be changed if the person doesnt make a gesture.

I get the desire for a brotherhood I guess. I am a fan of sparking a conversation about bikes. Meaningless hand gestures just dont move the dial for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I don't care whether people wave back or not; it's no skin of my nose. I wave at cyclists, I say hello to other runners. Nice when they acknowledge, but no bother if they don't.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I don't wave it is normally because I am zoned out in a training pace with eyes half glazed over and not great clarity in the aero position. When I don't respond it is usually a second or two after the friendly cyclist has passed that they have waved. My mind is a little slow at those times when it focused on the pace.

When others don't wave I would consider they are zoned out as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Quote:
would like to see the cycling community have a similiar warmth as the motorcycle community with a hand wave

You have to admit, when you really think about this, its a bit bizzare. "We both ride bikes, so acknowledge me." What if we applied that to other stuff. "We are both wearing the same shoes, but that guy didnt wave at me, what a dick!"

I realize that one's far fetched but how about sports teams. Theres one that is pretty normal. Especially if out of tiwn and wearing a hat, you may get a waive or comment frim a fellow fan. But you wouldnt think something is wrong or needs to be changed if the person doesnt make a gesture.

I get the desire for a brotherhood I guess. I am a fan of sparking a conversation about bikes. Meaningless hand gestures just dont move the dial for me

Well said.

It also depends on context. I was once riding a racing bike in place where I hadn't seen another road cyclist for days. Ran into one, so of course we talked. We both actually altered what we were doing.

Last year on the first warm spring day where I live I busted out a seersucker suit and saw another guy doing the same. So we nodded acknowledgement and I think he said "It's time."

Where I am now, in OK weather I'll see dozens to hundreds of cyclists. There is not much point in the wave.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wave most of the time but couldn’t care less if others wave or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I wave most of the time but couldn’t care less if others wave or not.
Agreed. Not bothered either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it could be seen as bizarre but I don't see it too much different than going for a walk in your neighborhood and pass someone and not say hello. I am sure some do it, but a warm welcoming "hello" is probably received fairly well. Of course, somebody could also say," I go walks all the time and never say hello!" One (there are many) differences is that we are on our bike, and there is level of vulnerability we feel and a simple head nod (which requires very little effort) relates to the other rider. We are minority on the roads compared to cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The communication gap that exists among cyclists isn't with pleasantries, it's with practicalities.

We wave, chat, call out road hazards, etc....

The problem is that often cyclists aren't the best about communicating practicalities of riding. Not using the internet tools that exist, not communicating ride protocol or asking if anyone is new. Etc....

Then people get passive aggressive pissed when someone takes the ride in charge in a way others don't like. Or does stuff not cool for that group ride, but is ok for others.

A little basic communications skills would help a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be they don't wave when they see your aerobars...the concern is that if you wave to a triathlete they will try to wave back and crash.

A lot of cyclists acknowledge each other with an imperceptible head nod.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike etiquette - open to changing it? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whenever you wave to me you only use 1 finger!
Quote Reply

Prev Next