Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Double letters.... Houston we have problem.

That said it’s hard to tell from pictures though he could be ripped but only weigh 160. Also it seems like he has the history for it.

Ding ding..winner winner chicken dinner

He weighed 158 when he ran London.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Double letters.... Houston we have problem.

That said it’s hard to tell from pictures though he could be ripped but only weigh 160. Also it seems like he has the history for it.

He could be only 5'4"?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess if I ever win anything, I'll have to remember to log into Slowtwitch to find out which PED I'm on.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbrowne1 wrote:
Definitely genetics for Mr Green!! From one of my world-level M50 running club mates (regular 90%+ age graded times): "Could you guess he is a Fireman, unfortunately we have never met although when we were 12 years old he won the UK Inter-counties XC champs, I was 61st."

thank you, good to get background.. that and the 4:05 mile and other run history, put it in the realm of possibility..
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
He must be extremely lucky to have been blessed with those bodybuilder build genes. Because from looking at pictures of his son and brother (mentioned in the article) they werent.......

Body builder genes? Lol he has big arms he forgot leg day. You’re surprised his son, who if a competitive runner, lifts only by putting food to his mouth doesn’t look like muscular. I’m shocked.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
it surprises me, me of 3:48 marathon PR, that someone that built and that age could run that fast. But as I've noted I'm barely under 4 hours for my best marathon time so what do I know?

Surprises me as well.
That's a *lot* of upper-body muscle to be carrying for 26 miles.

If it's all legit - and I don't know the guy, I don't know his training - he's got some serious distance running genes b/c he's giving away a lot of time by carrying that extra weight. Whatever his height and weight are, he's a guy who *could* be a lot lighter than he is, still kicking butt in a marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... I mean how much faster would he be if he leaned down to a marathoner's build? 10 minutes? 15 minutes? Is it believable that there is a 2:25 50+ year old marathoner?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, if you do a google image search for "Graham Green marathon" - and why would anyone do that, since it's kind of creepy and stalkerish, and who would have the free time for that anyway, but if you did - in the other pics, he's still pretty muscular, but not *as* bulked up as he looks in the first picture.
So maybe he's giving away less time than I first thought.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seriously can't believe you've started a doping witch-hunt on a public forum on an amateur runner you've never met based on him being quick and looking ripped. Nothing better to do than making baseless accusations about some stranger?

A few points:
1) He's not the MV50 world record holder for the marathon, that's a guy called Titus Mamabolo who is a full 13 minutes quicker at 2:19. Graham Green is the joint world record holder for a combined time father-son marathon. He's 8th on the UK over 50s all time list - so a very, very good runner, but not a complete outlier.
2) He's a short and light guy - 158lbs and shorter than most people he's pictured with, hardly bodybuilder weight. Being short and with low body fat any muscle is going to make you look relatively stacked, particularly if surrounded by taller runners with tooth picks for arms.
3) He has some serious running genes. Ran 4:05 mile when he was younger. His eldest son raced for England in the 800m. His brother ran a 2:12 marathon on the way to winning team bronze in the 1993 World Marathon Cup. His younger son ran a sub 3 marathon after only 4 months of running training.
4) Having great running genes and a junior background in running but then taking a 25 year hiatus from running while still staying very fit is potentially one of the best ways of being fast in your 50s. You avoid all the wear and tear on your joints of somebody who has run all their lives, and a little bit of extra muscle can also make you more resilient to injury. In your 50s the benefits you accrue from avoiding injury and being able to train consistently are likely to outweigh the benefits of shaving off another couple of pounds from a guy who is already pretty light and clearly very low fat.

Another picture to provide context - doesn't look like he's packing a lot more muscle than his son, but due to lower body fat and more of a tan the small amount of extra muscle he does have is considerably more defined.

Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your IT skills are considerably better than mine.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I can believe someone made the thread I’m kinda surprised no one pulled it yet. But hey I guess if someone is faster than you the most logical thing is that they are doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Oh I can believe someone made the thread I’m kinda surprised no one pulled it yet. But hey I guess if someone is faster than you the most logical thing is that they are doping.

Then we need to change the name of this site to Dopetwitch because every one of you is clearly doping.

Sincerely,

Slow Ass Monkey
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Then we need to change the name of this site to Dopetwitch because every one of you is clearly doping.

Sincerely,

Slow Ass Monkey

Still very much need a like button here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I seriously can't believe you've started a doping witch-hunt on a public forum on an amateur runner you've never met based on him being quick and looking ripped. Nothing better to do than making baseless accusations about some stranger?

A few points:
1) He's not the MV50 world record holder for the marathon, that's a guy called Titus Mamabolo who is a full 13 minutes quicker at 2:19. Graham Green is the joint world record holder for a combined time father-son marathon. He's 8th on the UK over 50s all time list - so a very, very good runner, but not a complete outlier.
2) He's a short and light guy - 158lbs and shorter than most people he's pictured with, hardly bodybuilder weight. Being short and with low body fat any muscle is going to make you look relatively stacked, particularly if surrounded by taller runners with tooth picks for arms.
3) He has some serious running genes. Ran 4:05 mile when he was younger. His eldest son raced for England in the 800m. His brother ran a 2:12 marathon on the way to winning team bronze in the 1993 World Marathon Cup. His younger son ran a sub 3 marathon after only 4 months of running training.
4) Having great running genes and a junior background in running but then taking a 25 year hiatus from running while still staying very fit is potentially one of the best ways of being fast in your 50s. You avoid all the wear and tear on your joints of somebody who has run all their lives, and a little bit of extra muscle can also make you more resilient to injury. In your 50s the benefits you accrue from avoiding injury and being able to train consistently are likely to outweigh the benefits of shaving off another couple of pounds from a guy who is already pretty light and clearly very low fat.

Another picture to provide context - doesn't look like he's packing a lot more muscle than his son, but due to lower body fat and more of a tan the small amount of extra muscle he does have is considerably more defined.

People - it isn't PEDs or anything. Its the noggin. Look at the aero-ness of that head. If you stuck that man in a wind tunnel...no yaw angle could make a dent in that bad boy. i don't care if he is more fit looking than I have ever been in my entire life nor will ever be - being fit doesnt mean your fast. Being aero means you are fast. He solved the problem. He has "aero" that money simply cannot buy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
He's not the MV50 world record holder for the marathon, that's a guy called Titus Mamabolo who is a full 13 minutes quicker at 2:19.

used to run in races with (well behind) Titus, he was remarkable.. similar history too, was a national-class runner as a younger man, took a break from running for 10 years, came back and ran the 2:19..

http://www.modernathlete.co.za/stories/titus-the-titan

Last edited by: doug in co: Apr 27, 18 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
back in the very late 70s when every kid in the UK with any ability ran for a club Mr Green was one of the best in the country. He was one of those kids that was still one of the best at the bottom end of the 2 year age groups we used to race in. He has an older brother, Andy, who was also very good (i think he still is). Maybe he never reached the superstar status in the open division his talent would have predicted but talent stays forever. I've known a few guys who have run low 2:40s in their 50s. Talented runners but not the same as this guy.

of course he could be using PEDS but to me this is one of those cases where i think that if anyone could do it - he could
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why threads should not be locked or pulled. Combat bad speech with good speech. Not censorship.

Grant.Reuter wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next