Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me
Quote | Reply
http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/..._break_world_record/

Pictured in the article, with his son, is the world record holder for the marathon in the M50 age category. I have no proof and I don't want to get banned from Slowtwitch, but c'mon . . . . .

Will
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think you mistook something. So the record is as follows:

The fastest marathon run by parent and child on aggregate is 5 hr 2 min 12 sec and was achieved by Graham Green and his son Ben Green (both UK) at the 2015 Virgin London Marathon, in London, UK, on 25 April 2015.
Graham and Ben were also the previous holders of this record from 2014.

This is believable. He was a former 800m runner, his brother was a marathoner, and nothing about his son but I imagine he was also a racer as well. Running family.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don’t find it strange that a guy that looks like a bodybuilder with ridiculous low body fat at age 52, runs 2:36 and wins m50 at the London marathon? I’m not good at pasting photos but google him and have a look.

Or maybe it’s just me.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the OP, was referring to the body development of the father and his possible help to achieve said body...
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/11156362.London_Marathon__Greens_break_world_record/

Pictured in the article, with his son, is the world record holder for the marathon in the M50 age category. I have no proof and I don't want to get banned from Slowtwitch, but c'mon . . . . .

Will

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this same exact thing when I saw his picture.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Those are not the roids you're looking for".

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
You don’t find it strange that a guy that looks like a bodybuilder with ridiculous low body fat at age 52, runs 2:36 and wins m50 at the London marathon? I’m not good at pasting photos but google him and have a look.

Or maybe it’s just me.

oooo i see your angle with it. Ya - that would be uncommon. However - how deep was the field? check athlinks and see what other races he did and what times. I mean some race horses have freak size lungs compared to others which is why they can win if they are small or have an odd gait.

I am playing devils advocate here. I would rather not throw a gun under a bus unless all facts are presented. OR you could put it on LetsRun and watch the show
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the article, a quote from Dad: "...but getting older it’s not so easy to keep your body fit to train and race at a good standard."

The pictures of him make it appear that keeping his body extremely fit is not that hard. Probably a combination of hitting the genetic lottery, lifting lots of weights and drinking all of his milk at dinner.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that story seems to be from 2014 ?
agree, 2:42 aged 49 with the body composition of a weightlifter, is remarkable.

This year Graham is running even faster, 2:36 to win M50 aged 52 presumably. That during the hottest London Marathon ever, probably translates to low 2:30s on a normally cool day. Solid improvement over 3 years from 49 to 52. Clearly whatever he's doing is working very well for him..
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is Busch Light and frozen pizza - then I am also on track to be awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'll have what he's having"....
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
"I'll have what he's having"....

A pic and his time is kinda short on the evidence-front to make accusations, I’d say. There is a whole lot to read about this guy in various threads here and over at LR. Apparently he raced at 158 lbs. That - and his background - makes is plausibel to me. But I dont know shit about body building though..!
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I dont know shit about body building though..! //

Give you a hint...We have a few on this forum that post quite often, and are quite open about what that sport entails, besides hard work of course..
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a very strange combo indeed...that said if you look at his times as a mid 20yo, it's not totally impossible.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/...e.aspx?athleteid=609
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://club.runthrough.co.uk/grahams-blog-to-winning-the-v50-london-marathon-the-build-up/

"I had been a keen and quite successful runner in my earlier years, but by the time I had hit my 28th birthday I'd had enough and hung my trainers for what I thought would be for good.
I began a weight training programme over the next couple of decades which I maintained until today. "
Definitely genetics for Mr Green!! From one of my world-level M50 running club mates (regular 90%+ age graded times): "Could you guess he is a Fireman, unfortunately we have never met although when we were 12 years old he won the UK Inter-counties XC champs, I was 61st."

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Apr 25, 18 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:05 Miler. Looks like he got back into competitive running about 6 years ago. Started off with a 2:59 marathon and worked his way down
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
It's a very strange combo indeed...that said if you look at his times as a mid 20yo, it's not totally impossible.

Obviously it's possible. =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a very strange combo indeed...that said if you look at his times as a mid 20yo, it's not totally impossible. //

At 50 he has barley lost a few seconds from his 20+ year old times(after bulking up no less), like you said not impossible. Like I said, I want what he is having...(-;

My 10k PR is faster than his, he seems to have leaned towards sprinting/middle distance in his prime, and now he has become one of the best distance runners in the 50+ category, while pursuing a weight lifting bulk up strategy since his prime running years. I really hope he is just showing what the natural human body is capable of as a senior citizen..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double letters.... Houston we have problem.

That said it’s hard to tell from pictures though he could be ripped but only weigh 160. Also it seems like he has the history for it.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Francois wrote:

You know what I meant. We're all dancing around the rules of engagement here ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it surprises me, me of 3:48 marathon PR, that someone that built and that age could run that fast. But as I've noted I'm barely under 4 hours for my best marathon time so what do I know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me too.
Quote Reply
Re: MV50 world record holder for the marathon - hmmm something looks strange to me [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He must be extremely lucky to have been blessed with those bodybuilder build genes. Because from looking at pictures of his son and brother (mentioned in the article) they werent.......

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Apr 25, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
SH wrote:
Francois wrote:

You know what I meant. We're all dancing around the rules of engagement here ;-)

Truth be told I had written something entirely different, thought better of it, erased the whole damn thing, and went with the pithy "obviously" comment instead. These are uncertain times.
Quote Reply

Prev Next