Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 60, with five decades of running, a PR 10K of 30:11, and yeah, a lot of stress fractures from a lifetime of high mileage running. But some of those were double stress fractures and the incidence was many years apart, locations were different, and causes were different. I fail to see how that nullifies my observation that your personal recovery profile is the key determinant of how long it is before you are competitive again.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did I mention anything other than you having 6 stress fractures and saying 1-2 months is cool, but balking at the idea that 1-2 year time frame as previous poster suggested? Cool story bro. That was why I was questioning your background. If it's true that this really is how you deal with it, manage it, suggesting any time table or calling out someone suggesting a longer time table doesn't make much sense. Which again is why I questioned your 1-2 month time table.

ETA: And then it becomes what time table are you saying....1-2 months OFF running completely? Or 1-2 months and your back to normal? Etc.,

I've never heard many people get stress fractures and be back to normal without any lingering issues and or bad training as quick as you suggest. Especially within 1 month.

eta #2- "stress fracture" I've seen can be a very liberal term when dealing with injuries over my 10 years of coaching and 22 years of athletics.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 14, 18 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 1 - 2 years is just about ridiculous for anyone. Your response seemed to imply that my frequency of fractures was due to insufficient recovery so one lead to the next which was not the case. Anyway, I hope she is not so fragile that it takes more than 8 wks. Now here is a cool story: After the IM70.3 worlds at Zell am See, I went out to dinner with my son and sat on a bench just outside the restaurant window. A pretty young lady was right next to me along with her parents. We ended up talking about the race and I learned that she was a pro ... yeah, it was that Holly.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect if there hadn't been so many people saying so many negative things about her after worlds she wouldn't have made the decision she did. Has to protect her brand. That's a shitty toss up to make, continue on, do who knows what damage to myself physically, but finish, or drop out and damage my image. Both are pretty important.

On another note, I wonder if this is related to her issues she had last year. I know she said she had a lot of injuries throughout the season, and i can't imagine it was good for her long term bone health, but assuming she's been eating properly would this have resolved itself already?
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She hasn't been coached by Dixon since 2015 (or early 2016), can't remember exactly.
Last edited by: swimmerwhotris: Apr 14, 18 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I think 1 - 2 years is just about ridiculous for anyone. Your response seemed to imply that my frequency of fractures was due to insufficient recovery so one lead to the next which was not the case. Anyway, I hope she is not so fragile that it takes more than 8 wks. Now here is a cool story: After the IM70.3 worlds at Zell am See, I went out to dinner with my son and sat on a bench just outside the restaurant window. A pretty young lady was right next to me along with her parents. We ended up talking about the race and I learned that she was a pro ... yeah, it was that Holly.

I don't think anyone can predict how long she will be out, not even her doctors. It could probably span a time frame from 2 months to 2 years. The way I read her post you can tell a lot about her. She genuinely feels like she disappointed her friends/fans/sponsors/supporters. That has to be tough and that can affect the mind, body, and repair process too. I don't think we have a clear understanding of the injury or the cause of the injury. Was it some sort of compensation issue? Definitely wishing her the best - I know how frustrating injuries can be.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stress fractures are so varied, I know some ppl have a few weeks in a boot then back to building up, but I know another who has been in a boot for over 10 months. In females I know many who bounce from one stressie to the next. And these are pro athletes with top level medical support behind them. Without knowledge of the injury we can have no idea how long she will be out Di it us pointless disagreeing .
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
aerobike wrote:
BayDad wrote:
Turns out Holly broke her ankle on the ride and still ran a half marathon on it.

Pretty tough girl..!.!

I like Holly Lawrence. She's fun and exciting to watch. Unfortunately, if she ran an entire half marathon on a broken ankle, my guess is she will be out minimum 1-2 years.

Don’t know about that, i think it’s just a small stress fracture. The gist fro her post is that she didn’t crash, so it was pre existing and minor enough that she didn’t notice it for a while.

A stress fracture is a fracture. Whether a big stress fracture or small stress fracture. Running an entire half marathon on it, let alone walking on it, sadly to say, will put her out for a very long time. The full extent of the injury will only surface in a month or so. And the the seriousness of it and recovery time will sadly become reality a couple months thereafter.

Dude... You are straight up wrong. Unless other (major) structural damage, or needs surgery, a break is a break.

Don't know where you would get a year plus from this. She's going to be fine quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next