Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside
Quote | Reply
Turns out Holly broke her ankle on the ride and still ran a half marathon on it.

Pretty tough girl..!.!

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did she break her ankle on the bike??? Did she crash or just some crazy circumstances?

Quote | Reply
Did she crash or just some crazy circumstances?

Starky pushed her over
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Did she crash or just some crazy circumstances?

Starky pushed her over

OK I just gotta ask (sorry Holly L), is that the rumored pusher at Texas? LOL

She didn't seem to have any road rash when I saw her, would be odd to crash hard enough to break an ankle and not show other effects. Not that I was looking....... But yes, weird on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I just gotta ask (sorry Holly L), is that the rumored pusher at Texas? LOL //

Says so on the Kanute thread, beats me....(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
How did she break her ankle on the bike??? Did she crash or just some crazy circumstances?
No idea, she posted on her Instagram feed that it happened on the bike and a picture of her in a cast.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CalamityJane88 wrote:
Stress fracture?

Exactly what I was thinking, started giving grief on the ride?
Surely a nasty crash would be the only other way, ankles are pretty tough to "break", take more than a knock.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
CalamityJane88 wrote:
Stress fracture?

Exactly what I was thinking, started giving grief on the ride?
Surely a nasty crash would be the only other way, ankles are pretty tough to "break", take more than a knock.

Guess she was pushing some serious wattage up that first hill!! šŸ˜³

Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Turns out Holly broke her ankle on the ride and still ran a half marathon on it.

Pretty tough girl..!.!

She's tough as nails... already swimming today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:

Pretty tough girl..!.!

I like Holly Lawrence. She's fun and exciting to watch. Unfortunately, if she ran an entire half marathon on a broken ankle, my guess is she will be out minimum 1-2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Pretty tough girl..!.!

I like Holly Lawrence. She's fun and exciting to watch. Unfortunately, if she ran an entire half marathon on a broken ankle, my guess is she will be out minimum 1-2 years.

Donā€™t know about that, i think itā€™s just a small stress fracture. The gist fro her post is that she didnā€™t crash, so it was pre existing and minor enough that she didnā€™t notice it for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
aerobike wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Pretty tough girl..!.!

Donā€™t know about that, i think itā€™s just a small stress fracture. The gist fro her post is that she didnā€™t crash, so it was pre existing and minor enough that she didnā€™t notice it for a while.

A stress fracture is a fracture. Whether a big stress fracture or small stress fracture. Running an entire half marathon on it, let alone walking on it, sadly to say, will put her out for a very long time. The full extent of the injury will only surface in a month or so. And the the seriousness of it and recovery time will sadly become reality a couple months thereafter.
Last edited by: aerobike: Apr 13, 18 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve known people woth stress fractures and it was nowhere near a year recovery, let alone 2 years. A stress fracture is very different to a fracture that has to be reset, 6 to 8 weeks will do it.

Richie Port fractured his pelvis and collarbone in July and was back training in August and racing in October.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Apr 13, 18 21:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ask Angela Naeth. She's done precisely that twice. Trained with a stress fracture. And was out for a year each time.

Edit: I raced at Oside. Lawrence ran literally right by me and did not look like she was limping.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Apr 13, 18 21:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Iā€™ve known people woth stress fractures and it was nowhere near a year recovery, let alone 2 years. A stress fracture is very different to a fracture that has to be reset, 6 to 8 weeks will do it.

Youā€™re missing the key determinant: There is an enormous difference between having a stress fracture (6-8 week recovery if avoid any weight bearing) and running a half marathon on a stress fracture (1-2 year recovery minimum).
Last edited by: aerobike: Apr 13, 18 22:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
aerobike wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Pretty tough girl..!.!

Didn't she say "freak accident" ?
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
aerobike wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Pretty tough girl..!.!

Didn't she say "freak accident" ?

Yes- in her post she said she ā€œfelt it go and heard it crackā€

Very unfortunate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have a stress fracture in my ankle too if my seat was that high
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhat related, what is the consensus about biking on the trainer while recovering from a foot stress fracture (1st metatarsal)?

I've been only swimming for 2 wks and the foot is getting better. I for sure won't run for another 5-6 wks but yesterday I tried my cycling shoes and didn't feel any pain whatsoever. I was thinking about giving it one more week and then start to ride my bike on the trainer, but won't do it if it could delay my recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zing!!!

kileyay wrote:
I'd have a stress fracture in my ankle too if my seat was that high

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

Youā€™re missing the key determinant: There is an enormous difference between having a stress fracture (6-8 week recovery if avoid any weight bearing) and running a half marathon on a stress fracture (1-2 year recovery minimum).

The determinant of recovery is the individuals own recovery profile. I've had a half dozen diagnosed stress fractures from running events and I'm pretty sure I ran through last summer with one. 1 to 2 years is complete hyperbole. 1 to 2 months, ok then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:

Pretty tough girl..!.!

Tough in the short term, but not too intelligent in the long term. Her ego got in the way from her previous race in Chattanooga and the disappointment it gave. Only time will tell what the extent of this injury is and how it effects her progress going forward. The extent of the fracture and her individual physiology of her body to recover will dictate the length of recovery.

And people wonder why triathletes are always injured. They just let their ego and pride of being tough replace common sense. I wonder what her coach Matt Dixon makes of this, seems to be against what he preaches.

Hopefully she can make a full recovery and continue her rise, she's been fun to watch the past couple years.
Last edited by: CU427: Apr 14, 18 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I've had a half dozen diagnosed stress fractures from running events and I'm pretty sure I ran through last summer with one. ........1 to 2 years is complete hyperbole. 1 to 2 months, ok then.

-------

You've had half a dozen stress fractures, and suggest 1-2 months recovery is probaly good enough? Half a dozen stress fractures sounds terrible.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Holly Lawrence @ Oceanside [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem I have with stress fractures is that they dont just "happen". At least imo, they come from simply not listening to your body. Now of course these are athletes who are pushing up against the very edge, and sometimes you get pushed over (by accident...not knowing where the "line" actually is, etc), and so not necessarily blaming anyone. In fact many times, athletes themselves "hide" stuff like this until it's too late, etc.

I had one of my junior athletes go run in college for a strong run program. I told the coach that she was a very "low volume" approach athlete and to be very mindful of mileage/intensity. Essentially just a professional courtesy call. So talked with her 6 months later, and she had a stress fracture in her hip. Turns out, it wasn't actually from the coach so much as pushing her to train as her own pressure to perform with that team environment that she never told the coach she was in that much pain until it was too late and 4 months off running (she could swim and bike though).

So sometimes athletes are their own worst enemy and that "do anything" attitude is actually the likely linchpin in the whole process.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 14, 18 8:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next