Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oceanside - that hill at mile 30 [IndoIronYanti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IndoIronYanti wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
It's been a long time since I did Oceanside but I've done it before. That hill was awful. Also... I am a proud 5th Marines alum and I can tell you that even our cars used to struggle up that hill. I was riding through the base saying "please done make me do San Mateo Hill" even though I knew there was only one way through and I cracked and walked it.

It's been years since I've done it. Aside from the hill at the end the section through San Mateo was my favorite part of the bike. It was awesome because I lived there. I saw my old familer barracks, chow hall, the flag where colors was raised every day. That's an awesome part of the race.

The Marines MADE that race for me and made my day. I loved every minute of it. (they said they call San Mateo Mt. Mofo? the long form? :) ) Thank you for your service.

I know I shouldn't, but I just have to ... as a very slow, very fat chick who did Oceanside on THIS bike (3 usable gears ... no, not rings, GEARS) and passed a few pretty people walking pretty bikes up that hill ... I just gotta say ... byotches, PLEASE. ;)

This is fantastic!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside - that hill at mile 30 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schpanks, Dave!

I did love that bike and it was one of my most memorable races (then again I got married in the middle of an Ironman so I've had a few cool ones).

I want to be the guy in a button-up shirt and cargo pants :) or cut-off jean shorts like the IMKY guy ...

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside - that hill at mile 30 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that hill....I am gonna have nightmares about that for months to come! Seriously thought I had a tough couple of climbs at Tremblant but this was far worse, at least for me. Literally couldn't even turn the pedals at one point. Gonna have to get a compact cassette and give this hill another try next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside - that hill at mile 30 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50x39 -11x28
Halfway up I looked down and I was going 3 miles per hour, heart rate spiked. I started walking it in my socks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside - that hill at mile 30 [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 53-39/11-30 and the 39-30 combo was great for the hills but I train with lots of hill so they didn’t seem too bad.. steep but short. Goal was to keep the power around 240-250 going up the steep parts which was a comfortable spin. Total ride was 2:39 with an NP of 194 (right on target as I was aiming for 195)

Quote | Reply

I had a mechanical issue. Unable to use my small ring. So big ring (52) and my other problem.......11/23 cassette. I was mashing like a champ. My worst half result to date.

alex_korr wrote:
I think that I burnt too many matches on that hill mashing in 39x25. I did not want to bring a 11x28 but I think it was a mistake. Had trouble putting out power in the last 20 miles, and the back was sore the rest of the way. Which cassette did you ride yesterday?
Quote Reply

Prev Next