Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
I think I'd rather just train a bit harder and gain the .25 watts than spend a ton of money to supposedly save it.

Stupid answer. Always someone in every thread who can't resist saying train harder or lose weight.
The topic at hand, and your proposal are not mutually exclusive. Thus your comment is irrelevant.

The skewers from zipp are 80 dollars. Most people, maybe not you, have limited funds. I know I do. And as I budget money I am not going to budget 80 dollars on a skewer that arguably will save me like a quarter watt...unless that little bit of saving is the difference between winning and losing. I suspect most of the people worrying about that fraction of a watt are not needing it to win and have not maximized their effort on the bike.

All good, but my used zipp wheels did not come with any skewers.
And the zipp aero skewers (stainless steel) were just 30 bucks.
For some folks, that is worth it.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Even more so considering that ViewSpeed skewers seem to be the only aero-shaped tooled skewer on the market? Would've thought some company would just rip off the design to bundle with their aero wheels.

There are some very cheap "anti-theft" skewers that, visually, come pretty close to View-Speed. And are very cheap. And steel (which I consider to be a good thing).

Edit: OK, these ones are only a little cheaper than View-Speed. But there are some other that are like $10-$15 that are visually similar.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 2, 18 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on this suggestion. I too am a fan of steel for this part of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I said there was someone in every thread that throws in these red herrings. I forgot there's also some fool who tries to clear it up and in the process makes a big mess.....that would be me 🤔

Maybe someone just needs to make a meme with training and spending money, and how they are mutually exclusive. But then you’d have to explain mutually exclusive so I’m not sure if that’s much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And steel (which I consider to be a good thing)
---

Did you get lost? This is ST. It's either carbon or loserville for you. Skewers gotta get on board soon.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you care enough about wheels to buy purpose-specific wheels, then the odds are you care about skewers and won;t be satisfied with a bog stock set. On the other hand, if you buy one set of wheels, you probably have a few sets. Does it make sense to have 4-5 sets of polished titanium skewers sitting in a bin?

If they can keep $25-$50 of cost out by using generic skewers, that's great. I'll pick my own out. OTOH - Zipp seems to delight in being a price leader so the 'free' skewers you get with your $3,000 wheels are entirely consistent

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

On top of that, if people spent as much time training as the spend worrying about silly tiny incremental shortcuts they'd be way faster from that and have more money in their pockets.

You need recovery time from workouts anyway, so you CAN do both.

On the original topic, I used to have a pair of skewers that were probably pretty aero back in the early '90's. (blue anodized, of course, like everything was back then). I think Control Tech made them, just a 5mm allen bolt with caps on both ends.

Wish I still had them.

You can still get them ... ;-)

https://instagram.com/p/Bf4HrYqnQzW/

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all about the thru axle now. Qr is so 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. I actually found them. They were sitting in a box of parts I forgot about. Those were in there along with some of the original road SPD pedals. '90's flashback right there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next