Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers?
Quote | Reply
There are so many wheel-companies nowadays, and all of them use standard huge QR skewers. Differences between the wheels are so small nowadays, I can imagine the skewer choice makes a bigger difference than choosing between two high quality wheel brands. But why does nobody care to look into this too much? Why is there no innovative QR design like on the TriRig Omni for example? I know Zipp had something that they called Aero Skewers some time ago, but that line seems discontinued, now you can get again standard skewers either as titanium or steel option.

Do QR skewers really make no difference? Or is it just that if you upgrade your wheels to have a sawtooth design, you can ask for 1.500 USD more, but upgrade QR skewer design there is no money? So much money and effort was done over the last years to hide brake and shifter cables from the wind, yet ugly Skewers are still there....
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even more so considering that ViewSpeed skewers seem to be the only aero-shaped tooled skewer on the market? Would've thought some company would just rip off the design to bundle with their aero wheels.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ViewSpeeds are definitely the best option out there. The other gripe I have is that none of my new skewers work in a stationary trainer, so I have to dig out a 15 year old Mavic or Campy skewer if I want to put my bike on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as l can tell, zipp still lists their aero skewers on their site, and they seem to be available for purchase at various spots online.

I use them and I like 'em because they work well. I have not tested their aero properties, but I imagine that zipp has and quite extensively. When set up right, the zipp aero skewers and levers provide a very, very minimal profile to the airflow. But, that said, since they are minimal and made of aluminum, l don't use them on my stationary trainer ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 2, 18 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's a bit unfair though.
Aero, lightweight and load bearing are not easily compatible. It makes more sense to have a separate QR for the trainer and racing if you're not happy with the standard trainer skewer for racing.
I've found trainer compatible skewers easily available. You don't have to go searching for old ones!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The traditional closed/internal cam skewers that shimano and campag use work best. They might be heavier and presumably less aero but it is one of the areas of the bike where i value utility and function above any other consideration.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [huphup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huphup wrote:
The traditional closed/internal cam skewers that shimano and campag use work best. They might be heavier and presumably less aero but it is one of the areas of the bike where i value utility and function above any other consideration.

I didn't mean to say we should skip quickreleases completely and all permanently fix the wheelsets to our bike and declare DNF as soon as we have a flat. But there are barely any options, and if there are they are third party from small companies like Tune or View-Speed. Barely any wheel company, that spend weeks and lots of $$ in research into minor things like hidden spoke nippels, is even looking into this topic?

Any weight weenie is instantly looking and buying new QR skewers, but for Triathlon it simply doesn't seem to be topic. And that in the sport where more than 10% of the Kona starters have OSPW..... Interest in marginal gains is there in general?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The skewers that Alto uses on their wheels have a much smaller profile than what is 'standard.' I bought a used pair of their wheels to use for hill climbs on my road bike, but I plan on also using the skewers in tri races for a slight aero benefit.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trek Speed Concept comes with skewers that interface nicely with the frame and seem aero. This then begs the question to me, who is responsible for the skewer? The fork/frame maker or the wheel maker? I think the way Trek did it was the right way because the skewer lever becomes an extension of the frame air foil design.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano skewers still one of the best things they make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'd rather just train a bit harder and gain the .25 watts than spend a ton of money to supposedly save it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I think I'd rather just train a bit harder and gain the .25 watts than spend a ton of money to supposedly save it.
Stupid answer. Always someone in every thread who can't resist saying train harder or lose weight.
The topic at hand, and your proposal are not mutually exclusive. Thus your comment is irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to look around a bit more. At least 3 wheel manufacturer offer aero skewers. A 4th wheel manufacturer offers a lighter titanium skewer. There there are the after market companies...
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

Stupid answer. Always someone in every thread who can't resist saying train harder or lose weight.
The topic at hand, and your proposal are not mutually exclusive. Thus your comment is irrelevant.

The skewers from zipp are 80 dollars. Most people, maybe not you, have limited funds. I know I do. And as I budget money I am not going to budget 80 dollars on a skewer that arguably will save me like a quarter watt...unless that little bit of saving is the difference between winning and losing. I suspect most of the people worrying about that fraction of a watt are not needing it to win and have not maximized their effort on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

The skewers from zipp are 80 dollars. Most people, maybe not you, have limited funds. I know I do. And as I budget money I am not going to budget 80 dollars on a skewer that arguably will save me like a quarter watt...unless that little bit of saving is the difference between winning and losing. I suspect most of the people worrying about that fraction of a watt are not needing it to win and have not maximized their effort on the bike.
You've utterly missed the point.
By all means say "The drag reduction is not worth paying stupid money for skewers", but don't say "train harder".
Whether someone has maximised their physical potential has nothing to do with skewers.
The same red herring is thrown out there in every equipment discussion. It makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
The Trek Speed Concept comes with skewers that interface nicely with the frame and seem aero. This then begs the question to me, who is responsible for the skewer? The fork/frame maker or the wheel maker? I think the way Trek did it was the right way because the skewer lever becomes an extension of the frame air foil design.

I was literally about to say this same thing - My speed concept came with Aero skewers that I swap between wheels and who's responsible for the aerodynamics the wheel company or the frame manufacture?

I say the frame manufacture should make the match but that's me.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

By all means say "The drag reduction is not worth paying stupid money for skewers", but don't say "train harder".
Whether someone has maximised their physical potential has nothing to do with skewers.
The same red herring is thrown out there in every equipment discussion. It makes no sense.

I have not missed the point. I am saying for those with some semblance of budget, spending an extra bit of time training is way more cost effective than spending yet more money in a sport that is inaccessible for many because of the need to spend more money.

On top of that, if people spent as much time training as the spend worrying about silly tiny incremental shortcuts they'd be way faster from that and have more money in their pockets.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

I was literally about to say this same thing - My speed concept came with Aero skewers that I swap between wheels and who's responsible for the aerodynamics the wheel company or the frame manufacture?

You can buy the skewers right from their site too. Wonder what the likely hood they would work well on other bikes would be?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
teddygram wrote:
TennesseeJed wrote:

You can buy the skewers right from their site too. Wonder what the likely hood they would work well on other bikes would be?

Im not sure how well it would work as the front fork has a slot for it to fit into to complete the forks shape and the same for the back - They are flat and long so they might help some..

https://goo.gl/images/EhMi9p

https://goo.gl/images/opMRkz
Last edited by: teddygram: Mar 2, 18 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember someone saying that a front derailleur hanger has more drag than the down tube on a P2/P3.

I could see the front skewer being similar in drag to the hanger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

I have not missed the point. I am saying for those with some semblance of budget, spending an extra bit of time training is way more cost effective than spending yet more money in a sport that is inaccessible for many because of the need to spend more money.

On top of that, if people spent as much time training as the spend worrying about silly tiny incremental shortcuts they'd be way faster from that and have more money in their pockets.

Sorry, you only think you haven't missed the point because you're still oblivious to the point.
I know it's in vain but since I'm already typing....

Skewer = potential very small drag reduction
More training = potential performance increase

You can have either one, neither or both. They are not connected. They are not mutually exclusive.

I can train harder whether I buy a new skewer or not. If thr skewer reduces drag it will still do so on top of my extra training benefit. So your point is nonesense.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Mar 2, 18 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear, I have no plans to buy new skewers either. But I like to think I understand logic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

You need recovery time from workouts anyway, so you CAN do both.

On the original topic, I used to have a pair of skewers that were probably pretty aero back in the early '90's. (blue anodized, of course, like everything was back then). I think Control Tech made them, just a 5mm allen bolt with caps on both ends.

Wish I still had them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

Sorry, you only think you haven't missed the point because you're still oblivious to the point.
I know it's in vain but since I'm already typing....

Skewer = potential very small drag reduction
More training = potential performance increase

You can have either one, neither or both. They are not connected. They are not mutually exclusive.

I can train harder whether I buy a new skewer or not. If thr skewer reduces drag it will still do so on top of my extra training benefit. So your point is nonesense.

I hope this keeps going this is entertaining.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do wheel companies not care about the QR Skewers? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said there was someone in every thread that throws in these red herrings. I forgot there's also some fool who tries to clear it up and in the process makes a big mess.....that would be me đŸ¤”
Quote Reply

Prev Next