Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Racing Flats [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train and race in Mizuno Wave Revolvers. Solid shoe if you prefer training in a more minimalist shoe (or even if just for racing).

jd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely check this shoe out.

Hard to find but is probably the only racing flat I've ever run in that feels like a Spike shoe. I was amazing with the push this thing has...

http://www.metrowalkandrun.com/Shoes_Mens_Reebok_CompetitionII.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the flats I use:

1) Nike Zoom Streak - my favorites for half IM and under
2) Asics Magic Racers (the old ones - bright yellow) - I can wear these for any distance
3) Brooks T4 Racer
4) Fila Racer 6
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

I found your post very mean spirited and pretty rude. Do you wear a high end wetsuit when you swim? When was the last time you swam 500 yd under 5 min? If you haven't maybe you should just stick to swimmin in your surf shorts. I to run a 5k in about 21 min and recently made the move to racing flats and the feel I get from them is wonderful. I am glad I bought them regardless of my speed.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey David, I'll check it out but i hadn't seen any buzz on it. I'm not all that up on the new stuff scene right now though. I know that there is supposed to be a "package" showing up from Nike soon with some sort of new funky shoes in it. If it's cool I'll post it but I'm not sure what they are. But um, what exactly would be the purpose of the wedge?? Is this supposed to be a new type of lightweight stability shoe?

Tai
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero,

I have the following racing flats:

Mizuno Phantom (I've had every model)
Mizuno Spacer (model from 2002-3, much lighter than the current spacer)
Mizuno Revolver
Saucony Fastwitch Speed

The Fastwitch is the FINEST racing flat I've use for 10K's and up in the past 15 years. I also train in them now, and have averaged about 70 miles per week for the last 3 months in them.

They have a very firm footbed, but are quite flexible. If you like cushy, squishy shoes, these are NOT for you - go with the Phantom (which I hate). These are performance shoes. I just ran a marathon in them last weekend, and my feet were perfect after - no soreness, no blisters. I love these shoes, and just ordered 3 more pair.

I can get about 300-350 miles out of a pair (I've been through 2 pairs already) - eventually the sides split, but these are racing flats so I don't expect them to hold up like a trainer.

If you are a fairly light (under 170) efficient runner, you will probably like these shoes. I have a pair of carbon fiber orthotics that I sometimes use for racing, and they fit in the Fastwitch nicely. PM me if you have more questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But um, what exactly would be the purpose of the wedge?? Is this supposed to be a new type of lightweight stability shoe? "

--------------

yes, that's what I understand. Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they tried this about 4 or 5 years ago with one of thier motion control shoes, I'm trying to remember the name but just can't quite get it. It was super stable, although this one was definetely no lightweight. Problem was the wedge made the the motion control features of the shoe pretty abrut feeling, as if you feet were always being tilted out and hitting the medial post was like hitting a wall. Hopefully this new design will improve on that. That's what's cool about Nike, they may hit some major foul balls but they aren't scared to put whatever they have new out there. Hey you get three strikes or four fouls per idea...
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [VM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about the revolvers VM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Revolvers are nice shoes but they have a funky fit, very wiiiiide all the way through the shoe including the midfoot. If this works for you it's a great shoe, but for most people unless you're wearing at least a 2E shoe if not a 4E the Revolvers are way too roomy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the Mizuno shoes, including their trainers, have gotten so damn mushy that I can't stand them. I used to swear by the Precisions for trainers, and the Spacers (old version) for racing. The footbed used to be thinner and firmer, but they are now using thicker, softer material in the forefoot to cater to the "cushioning crowd". I now don't run in any Mizuno shoes, and don't like the Revolver at all. Too heavy (it's a crime to have a "flat" weigh that much - and they weigh more than the advertised weight) and too soft. The Fastwitch Speed is really the anti-Mizuno. I liked Mizuno's 4 years ago, but not now. I still have my old Spacers, and they are GREAT, but very minimal and I only use them for 5Ks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next