Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [cowtipper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Cowtipper

Well I think my wife thinks every year! Ha ha

I had my first good road bike for 15 years that one was replaced 4 years ago with a Seven.

MTB: 10 years, broken frame. So I have had my newest one for a year.

TT: bike I’m still on my first one and have had that for 2 years. But I have P2C lust something bad!!!

Cross bike: on my first one and its 4 years old.

Now lets not take about wheels!!!!!

Dan…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish there was a lease program. When I walk through a bike store, my thought is "I wish I could just ride that bike for a couple of weeks to see how it is." It's more of a curiousity thing.

Quote | Reply
I'm on my 4th road bike. Got my first Peugeot in 1971. My current Kestrel replaced a Trek in 2002. The interval between new bikes goes down each time.14-10-7-?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still riding the Pinarello I bought in 1991. I just haven't found anything that rides better, or fits me better.

Splintered the headtube on my Trek Mountain Bike in 2001 and got a Marin to replace it.

I'm going to bite the bullet on a new Guru in January.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [k2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my last NEW bike was...uhh...ummm..shesh...1990?!?! My last new..to me bike was a GT Idrive mtn bike(used)..before that a Kestrel 200SCI in ruby weave(used)...and before that a Softride Powerwing(used). I may finally break the cycle (pardon the pun) and get something new this season. Wife thinks I shoulda done it sooner...I'm just too darned practical I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]in 21 years of triathlon racing I have had 6 tri bikes. Current one I have been riding since 99 and have no plans of replacing it anytime soon. It still goes fast. Also bought a new road bike in 99 and still ride that a lot. Earlier this year I bought a beach cruiser, that was the latest addition to the stable.[/reply]

Does it have a basket and bell? That would really demoralize people when you blow by them in a race!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't lease but my bike shop takes it back every two to three years and i get a new one, last 3 have cost me around $1000 to get a new one per . Do it every three years.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only when necessary. My dad bough me a new Univega for $240 In about 1983, I upgraded along the way with a Cannondale Frameset in 1987. I still own and ride the Cannondale.

When I started tri’s in 2002, I bought a used Scott tri-frameset, replaced it with a Cervelo P2 a year later and then realized neither was a very good bike for me and bought a Yaqui in 2004. I imagine I’ll be riding it 20 years from now, just like the Cannondale.

It is a very liberating experience to realize that in most cases bikes don’t make you any faster. After that you just have to work.

I guess the above means that I have only ever bought one new “bike” in my life and rest were only framesets.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for their responses. This is some great data.

Please continue to respond for the next 3 days or so and then I will tabulate.

-mb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought my first proper bike in 2001 (a P3) and have no reason to replace it.

Want to do some road racing now so last week I picked up a Soloist. Again, I will probably give up before it does.

So, I guess the answer for me is when/if they break.

Cheers

Vernon
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is a very liberating experience to realize that in most cases bikes don’t make you any faster"

Who said anything about getting a new bike to get faster, Chad? I just like bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good bikes are like your wife--once you find a good one you should stick with it through thick and thin. No pun intended. I'll be very happy when my wife and I have been together as long as me and my Cannondale.

I told someone the other day they should take your advice on gear since you have more bike stuff than some small bike shops I have seen. :)

Chad

P.S. You are up early. You must be the earliest STer on the East Coast. This week is the mile attempt. We'll see if I am too old or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason I seem to get at least one new (sometimes used) bike every year for the last 5 years. I have my favorite bikes that I never get rid of and then the bikes that I want for a specific purpose that I only keep for a year or so.
Quote Reply

Prev Next