Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How often do you get a new bike?
Quote | Reply
As simple as that:

How often do you purchase, receive, or otherwise obtain a new bike?

I'm gathering information for ammo when the next installment of
"YOU NEED A NEW WHAT?" plays in our house.

I'll compile and post the average after a week.

Thanks

-mb
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you get a new bike? [cowtipper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm...the honest answer is "As often as I can afford one." I love bikes. I'd have a garage full if I could. The reality is that currently, I'm able to afford one every 2-3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not since 2001 and I don't know when I will be able to get a new one since I am most likely headed to grad school.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhm, because I have been in the bike business for 13 years, I get at least 1 bike a year. There have been times where I would get a new bike every couple of months. I kept finding something new that I wanted. It's an addiction I tell ya. Maybe I should think about going to cyclesanonamous.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly a case of wants vs need.

I'd get a new bike every year if I could, just for the fun of it, not because I need one. But with a daughter in her last year of university and son starting after she graduates, I'll try to get as much mileage out of what I've got for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the past few years, i've been averaging a new bike about once a year. (man, i sound like a spoiled brat! )

of course, i'm not like most people, in that i work in a bike shop, so i always end up getting it thru a pro deal. Basically, that means i replace a specific bike (road or mtn) every two years, where i sell the old one for just about what i pay for it. i generally upgrade and throw a few hundred in, but not much more to get the new one.

it's a little different situation than most, but that's how i've been lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I average 4-5 years on mine, which means I have had three. The current one is titanium, which is supposed to be for life, I have had it 4 years now, I am getting itchy, so I just upgrade a few components here and there to satisfy the urge, the P3 carbon is making it hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
upgraded from an entry road bike after 2 1/2 years, have had my new road for a little over a year, and just got an '06 mtb this week. plan on keeping my new road for a long time and mtb the same (even though it's more "entry" level, i think it's enough for me for a long time). i would only get a new road bike if something bad happened to her...and i can't bare the thought!

meow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the same ride since I started this sport, 2002....no need to change....except when I read this forum...

tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very Often !!!

In fact...I will be trying to sell a few framesets starting today.

Cervelo P3, Colnago C-50, Lemond Tete de Corse, CYFAC Etoile, and a Look 486.

I'm 5'9". If anyone is around my size and looking for something nice just PM me for more info.

No... these are not stolen bikes.

There are people on this fourm who know of my bike habits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daily, weekly, monthly or yearly? :-) I get new bikes daily.

In terms of personal rides, 3 or 4 per year. Gotta have a cross, multisport, road & mtn. It helps when your wife & kids ride.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yearly...sometimes more often...but I still mostly ride my couple year old Litespeed (that gets a new Record groupset yearly)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the wife and I tend to ride new equipment most of the time, we have not actually gotten new bikes in quite some time. We kind of work on the principal of planned obsolesence such that we alternate so that every 2-2 1/2 years we upgrade either frames or components. Of course this year has sort of been the exception in that we upgraded to Shimano 10-speed last year and this year we got new TCR Advanced and TCR TT Composite framsets. Typically we try to wait for significant enhancements before buying the next best thing but, as has happened this year, sometimes we get carried away by the bling factor. Besides, our friends think it is cool that we have matching bikes but I simply look at it as the best way to avoid "but yours is better/lighter/newer than mine" type excuses since, excepting for peddles and saddles, we both ride the exact same stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a MTB 4 years ago. Still have it. Still ride it.

I bought my tri bike when I started tris, also 4 years ago. It's a Hilo 1000. I will probably not buy a new one in the forseeable future. It still works just fine.

I finally broke down and bought a road bike this winter.

They were all my "first bikes" (not counting Wal Mart college bikes), and I guess I don't see the value in dropping $2k on a new bike when the ones I have work just fine. I mean, it's FUN to have new stuff...but it's not practical, and I don't NEED a new bike. I do just fine on the one I have.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
approx 3 new bikesframes each year and sell of the old ones.

7 new frames this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1-2 a year. I work in a shop also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since joining this brotherhood-I have gotten a new bike every year-with a couple of ebay specials mixed in- on everage brandy spanking new 1/year- ebay specials every 6 months.

Kevin

currently waiting on guru chrono-delivery date 12-26-05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 a year but all for different cycling disciplines. If I get a cross bike that will number 6 and cover all bases !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got my MTB in 1988 and still riding and still very heavy
got my TRI bike in 2003 and hopefully won't have to wait as long.

Most likely will get a new MTB or new TRI bike in a few years, maybe a el-cheapo road bike for winter/rain riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you include trashpicking parts and building up your own frankenbikes, I do two or three a year.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too often. Got my 1st bike a mountain bike in '95. Used it for 3-4 years then got a road bike. then another 7 years and 23,000 miles and 4 years with no riding at all, before I just got my 1st Tri bike this summer. Have all three bikes still use for different conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't fit in around here but I've had my MTB for 10 years (GT karakoram), my beater road bike (Iron horse Triumph) for 4 years, and my soloist for 1 year and will replace them only when they break.
I hope to be "that guy" on the 20 year old soloist that the youngsters point at and snicker "Cervelo...haven't seen one of those in a while..."

Each of them is a trusty soldier with it's own purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1991 (21 y.o.) - bought a new MTB.
1993 - got a hand-me-down raleigh 3-speed for commuting.
1996 - bought a new road bike. trek 1400. still have it, rode it on saturday.
moved cities that year, had to give up the raleigh. still miss it.
2002 - bought an old univega 12-speed. mostly for commuting, although i really do like the way it rides. Moved cities again, had to leave the MTB.
2003 - bought a dahon folding bike.
2005 - bought a soloist. trek was getting run down, and i wanted something to race in.

Not sure what that averages out to, but it does seem like the commuting stuff comes and goes a lot quicker than the high-end stuff.

-charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I bought my bike used about 3 years ago. It was probably 7 or 8 years old at the time.

I went through a phase not long ago in which I wanted a new bike, but I couldn't really justify it. I probably should just ride the one I have more. Probably on hills.

So I guess I'll buy a new bike when I need one. Maybe 5 more years or so.

(Sorry to bring your average down...maybe you can toss this out as anomolous data ;-> )

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 21 years of triathlon racing I have had 6 tri bikes. Current one I have been riding since 99 and have no plans of replacing it anytime soon. It still goes fast. Also bought a new road bike in 99 and still ride that a lot. Earlier this year I bought a beach cruiser, that was the latest addition to the stable.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next