Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [IMakeSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should reconsider my Bonzie purchase I was going to get a Kestral there now but before I step a foot in there, I asked two of my local hard core bike buddies to say a kind word to the shop first. I usually get dissed and was wanting some actual customer service this time. What does THAT say when you need to have a "respected" cyclist arrange for me to spend money? Even went as far as taking one of the "annointed" with me next weekend to shop.

This is a timely thread. Thanks.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [HeyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a mark-up on bikes sold in the District as opposed to VA or MD?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually had a good experience with Bonzai. I was trying on a wet suit and accidentally put a smal tear in it. I expected to buy the suit I tore and a repair kit but they gave me a new suit.

I was planning on purchasing my next bike there but will be in BikeSport's neighborhood over the holidays so they'll get my business.

As for shop recommendations, I would second the several suggestions about CapHill Bikes. I've heard several people comment favorably about their experiences with the from everyting from routine maintenance and bike purchases. They're selection may be a bit light at no b/c this was their first season carrying tri bikes but they'r worth a visit and you will likely be treated very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigWheel has a great selection. I got my Soloist from them. Nice guys, the wrenches definitely go the extra mile trying to get everything right for you. I can't speak to their tri-fitting abilities, but they've got an outstanding selection and nice folks. Plus they give a year of adjustments and guarantee on the parts, plus lifetime on the frame, with adjustements available at any one of their locations. I've had them tweak derailleurs, fix a hanger after a crash, tune up brakes.. good shop.

But, like I said, I have no idea how they are at fitting a tri bike.
Last edited by: Alpern: Dec 1, 05 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [efloden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My kids live by BikeSport and I went in there to poke around last month. Jeff was a great representative for the shop - very thorough and knowledgable and not dismissive to folks like me that are hardware ignorant. Since my original plans to purchase at Nytro fell apart, I'm down to either Demerly's or Bonzai. I could get fit at Tom's but have local wrenches.

Love the guys at Trinergy, but I can't imagine having a serious discussion with either Steve or Ward. Fun people but they've given me so much (well deserved) shit over the years, that I don't even bother to ask them for advice. Plus the hours are so odd, don't think they'd ever be open when needed. You can't "pop over", you have to "plan". If you live out that way, they're good folk -- supporting the local club and a professional video of the hometown race.

B

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No mark-up, although I'm suddenly blanking on the difference in sales taxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Ellicott City, MD, my tri [gal] neighbor recommended Bike Doctor in Arnold, MD (near Annapolis) for all bike needs. Although this was several years ago and I didn't know anything about tri, she had a CT trainer setup in her living room and was a hardcore trainer by her training schedule.

I had a great experience at Bike Doctor to buy my recreational MTB. They made a good recommendation and measured me for the correct size.

That being said, Triathlete Magazine mentions that Princeton Sports (Columbia and Baltimore) has a full line of tri gear.

Hope this helps...

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My family (5 multisport racers) have all used Bonzai for years and none of us have ever had a bad experience. Mechanics are fine, if there's a problem they fix it. Had a carbon handle bar shred on a year old bike, they replaced it no questions asked.
Donn Viviani
Last edited by: tridonn: Nov 30, 05 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in or around DC/Northern Virginia?

I am looking for a shop that has a great mechanic, and one with a great road bike/tri bike selection. I realize that this might be two different places - please note both, if you know.

Any help would be appreciated.

I recommend Bonzai. I too have been dealing with the owner for 13 years and have had excellent service. Purchased three bikes there and service has been superb. Wetsuits: Had a race in California and while in CA two days before the race, I found that a wetsuit needed replacement. The owner Fedexed overnight three suits in a variety of sizes. One was a perfect fit; so good that I raced without trying it in the water and attained a PB IM swim. I view the shop as the triathlete's best source in the area.

Bob Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [sea2river] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually ended up over there yesterday and dealt with Mark. Of course, I had my super bike buddy with me.

Mark took tons of time to talk, deal with my general bike ignorance, offered to build up a great frame for me, etc. I went in with a negative impression of the shop and left pretty happy. Still haven't made the decision on the bike, but will ride it after it's built up. I dreamt of the bike last night so maybe I HAVE made the decision...

You know how you go into a shop with a bike in mind and then find out you've just been a victim of marketing? My measurements and needs sent me in a whole 'nother direction. Thought I wanted a Kestral, but the potential bike love of my life is a QR.

Anyway, I figured that I should at the very least post my positive experience after public hesitation about Bonzai. I just may end up buying there.

B

Quote Reply

Prev Next