Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wanted: Bike Shop around DC
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a good bike shop in or around DC/Northern Virginia?

I am looking for a shop that has a great mechanic, and one with a great road bike/tri bike selection. I realize that this might be two different places - please note both, if you know.

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [IMakeSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest issue of Bicycling Magazine (gasp) has an article about a successful shop owner with 3 shops in the DC area but I can not recall the name of the shop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Revolution in Georgetown have a good reputation. Revolution also has a shop in NoVa. I've had a pretty mixed experience with City Bikes.

A friend of mine bought a Cervelo a few years ago at AAA bikes in Damascus, but that's a bit out of your way.

josef

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The major dedicated tri shop in the area is Bonzai Sports in Falls Church. Good bike selection for sure, although I haven't used them as a shop. Closer in to DC, look at Big Wheel Bikes for a solid bike selection, and Capitol Hill Bikes doesn't have quite the same tri selection, but it's a good shop with good staff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shops in Northern Virginia,

Plum Grove Cyclery in Leesburg (for road), they do carry Elite bikes for tri though.

Tri-nergy Multisport in Sterling (for tri),

both have very skilled and knowledgeable people. I trust them them both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigWheelBikes has a nice selection, including Cervelo, and has 4 locations. My favorite of them is their shop in Arlington. Their wrenches are pretty solid, and the guys are nice. Good selection.

Revolution Cycles has a good rep. Bikes are pretty limited, it's a Trek shop first and foremost. Next door in Georgetown is the Pro Shop - I much prefer it, although it's strictly for roadies rather than triathletes. I would trust their wrenches with tri gear, though. For road bikes in the area it can't be beat - Colnago, Specialized, Scott, Cannondale, etc. Revolution and the Georgetown Pro Shop are next to each other on M St at the end of the Key Bridge.

I'm also a fan of Capitol Hill bikes. I have no experience with their mechanics, but they have a nice selection of gear, mainly Bianchi and Specialized. Capitol Hill and the Pro Shop are probably best equipped to customize your kit, as they have the most high-end parts in stock. Capitol Hill is not a tri shop, but it has a few bikes. Again, more geared toward roadies, who should not be dissapointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the recommendation for Capitol Hill Bikes. They also carry Scott and LeMond. They're trying to cater more to the tri market (and are a big time supporter of the DC Tri Club), but I don't think they've got any triathletes on their staff.

Good guys and gals, though, and I trusted them to build up my new Parlee earlier this Fall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trails End Cycles in Purcellville, VA has great mechanics. Ask for John, owner and mechanic, or Tom, mechanic. Amazing customer service and great mechanics. I think he carries Specialzed tri bikes. And Orbea, Bianchi road bikes. Shop is at the end of the W&OD trail, hence the name. (540) 338-2773

Revolution in G'town has good road bike selection and good mechanics.

Travis at Cap Hill bikes is great. They have a really good discount on bikes if you are a member of the DC Tri Club. Some tri bikes but mostly road.

Spokes has several locations around VA w/ a huge selection of road bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [Sugarboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of getting a Bianch Pista from them for X-mas. They have a really cool shop and one of the few that still carry Bianchi (note that Spokes Ect. and Hudson Track N' Trail both dropped Bianchi due to the poor exchange rate). They also carry De Rosa...Dual HF...Drool!

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work with Bonzai www.TriBonzai.com and with the Bike Lane www.TheBkeLane.com in Burke. Bonzai is a dedicated tri shop and The Bike Lane crries road, mountain, and tri bikes and is a Trek dealer.

Ken

Ken Mierke
Head Coach, Fitness Concepts
http://www.Fitness-Concepts.com
Author, The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [KenMierke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't believe I forgot about the bike lane - i bought 2 bikes from them when I lived down there. let me second those guys. very friendly service, and they co-sponsor a local mtb race series (cranky monkey). go throw some business their way.

Ken, didn't they have a fire or some other damage to their store not too long ago?

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [KenMierke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just discovered Bike Lane because they are an Indy Fab dealer...nice shop...great folks... They are a Trek dealer, though, which means they are a bit locked into certain product lines, especially with accessories. Nothing inherently wrong with that...just a consideration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try The Bicycle place, it is a good place, and good people to do business with. They just started carrying Tri stuff, and they have great mechanics.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had a huge break in with something like $40,000 in stolen merchandise last year. Thankfully, they were well insured.

Ken

Ken Mierke
Head Coach, Fitness Concepts
http://www.Fitness-Concepts.com
Author, The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All American Bikes in Damascus

I do not recommend Bonzai.... I have bought two bikes from them and regret both purchases.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [XFalcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I do not recommend Bonzai.... I have bought two bikes from them and regret both purchases. "

I could not agree more with this one. I will never step foot in that store ever again. They have a decent selection, but their wrenches and customer service are the worst I have ever experienced. Don't get me started...

That said, thanks for all the advice - there are some shops I have never heard of before. Keep them coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind a short drive and a splendid day in the Valley, head to Harrisonburg and visit Les at East Coast Bicycle Academy. He is one of the top mechanics in the country and is the managing mechanic for all IMNA events (hired through InsideOut Sports).

...THE ART OF LIFE/TRAINING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE SCIENCE OF IT...

...RATIONALIZATIONS ARE THE EXCUSES OF THE EDUCATED...
"I do not recommend Bonzai.... I have bought two bikes from them and regret both purchases. "

I could not agree more with this one. I will never step foot in that store ever again. They have a decent selection, but their wrenches and customer service are the worst I have ever experienced. Don't get me started...

I have heard this before about Bonzai and it makes me mad. I moved to D.C. recently and use Capitol Hill Bikes (which is good) for everyday stuff, but was interested in checking out a more tri-oriented store. Bonzai seemed like the place to go but I have heard lots of negative things about them.

How about Big Wheel Bikes in Arlington? I believe they carry Cervelo and some decent tri stuff, any one know anything about them?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard a slightly more nuanced criticism of Bonzai. They have several very good people, but a few kids as well who don't do too much. Depending on who you work with, your experience might vary greatly.

Personally, I think that one of the shops closer to downtown could really profit by pushing tri stuff harder. Capitol Hill Bikes is probably the best poised to do this because of their relationship with DC Tri Club, but I don't know what their limitations are with adding/changing the bikes they stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the experience of others, but Mark and the Bonzai staff have always taken good care of my mother and all of her bicycle related questions and concerns.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [matty1281] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Bonzai experience was by far the worst cycling purchases I have ever had.

1. Bought a Cervelo P3 from them. Within the first 100 miles - a crank fell off (DA crank that I had them put on) and almost created an epic crash. Called Bonzai and after some back and forth - was told that they would replace the crank. It somehow was my fault? I actually had to push to get it done when I felt like they should be apologizing to me.

2. Ordered a Kestrel Airfoil. It waited on backorder for months and months. I had given a $2k deposit on the bike. The owner of Bonzai told me that Kestrel was an backorder - but it seemed by then they were readily available. Called Kestrel and they told me that Bonzai was on credit hold. Called Bonzai and canceled the order and had the bike delivered from R&A the next day. The owner of Bonzai dragged returning my deposit over a month. He only returned my $ when I was about to take legal action.

Have never returned to the shop and would scream this to anyone interested. Terrible shop. Terrible wrenches. Terrible owner.

I would nominate the Pro Shop in Georgetown. While a destination for roadies - they have enough experience with high end product to make it work. If Greg builds it, it will run smoothly.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [mcevt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK... enough with the venom about the 'shop to never be mentioned again"...

Please keep the positive reviews coming.
Much apopreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reviews of Big Wheel Bikes in Arlington? They seem to have the best tri bike line after Bonzai so what is the word on them?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Tri-Speed still around? I went up to their store in Maryland last year to look around and they had a good selection. Supposedly they had an even bigger store out in Sterling, VA. I just checked my bookmarks, though, and the website has either changed or is gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Wanted: Bike Shop around DC [ajhoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-speed was bought by the employees last year. I can ask them, but I do not think the VA store is still around. They have expanded their Baltimore store, though. The only difference (other than about 150% more bikes) is that Coach Troy is no longer the owner. They do have a fairly significant amount of Cervelo too. And they recently added some great MTB bikes.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply

Prev Next