Prev Next
Re: Why do pros ride small bikes? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
Nublet72 wrote:
I'm buying my first tri bike and both shops I've looked at suggested a 61cm frame for me (I'm 6'3). This was surprising since I figured I'd be a 58cm based on the fact that all the pros around 6'2-6'4 seem to be riding 56-58cm bikes. I know there's more to height involved in a fit but I'm just worried that I'm being misled by the bike shops (unfortunately I live in the middle of no where so I can't get fit by someone who doesn't also sell bikes).

Is there a reason why pros would opt for bikes that are smaller than would normally be suggested?
Just in your situation, I have seen store just try to get rid of inventory. You could fit a 61 cm but is it best??! It is for them if they get ride of that hard to sell 61 cm frame.
Do some measurements and overall a small frame with extensions to adjust the stack and reach to what you need is best.
Dear old chap - Holy resurrection, Batman!
@Nublet72 was here for a month in 2016 asking this question. I fear they are no longer with us so your wise counsel will not land.

I am not getting any of this ?? What was the question ?

The original post was from 2016 lol

Haha he’ll check his email notifications.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros ride small bikes? [Nublet72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nublet72 wrote:
I'm buying my first tri bike and both shops I've looked at suggested a 61cm frame for me (I'm 6'3). This was surprising since I figured I'd be a 58cm based on the fact that all the pros around 6'2-6'4 seem to be riding 56-58cm bikes. I know there's more to height involved in a fit but I'm just worried that I'm being misled by the bike shops (unfortunately I live in the middle of no where so I can't get fit by someone who doesn't also sell bikes).

Is there a reason why pros would opt for bikes that are smaller than would normally be suggested?

The vast majority of age groupers don't have the flexibility to produce peak power in an aggressive fit. Don't buy a frame that doesn't fit.

I once advised a friend to get fit before settling on a bike purchase. It was his first triathlon bike. He ignored me and bought a frame that was too small on the internet. He had been crushing it on his Peloton before that. Once he got on that bike his drop in power was insane. All I could do was shake my head thinking what a bad choice he made.

He never competed in a single event. Not even a sprint tri and sold his bike and trainer about 6 months later. Don't be that guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros ride small bikes? [Jiljoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jiljoo wrote:
Do you mind explaining how the pad measurements work? Im very new to all of this, and by my logic I could just move the pads on my current bike and get a different measurement. Is it a measurement of where im comfortable at?

In this case pad measurement refers to stack/reach, except measured to the pads instead of the top of the head tube. You can move the pads up all you like but can't really move them below the head tube, and you have maybe 15cm in from and 5cm behind the head tube to mount your pads. So yes, you can just move your pads to wherever you like as long as the frame allows.

Worth nothing that even in 2016 the adjust ability of aero bars wasn't as good as it is now, and fitting/aero was less precise, so frame size had a bigger impact.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do pros ride small bikes? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From an aerodynamic standpoint the faster you go the most space you want between the base bar and elbow cups. The slower you are then you want a taller headtube that is aerodynamically shaped.

unfortunately for almost all AG triathletes and probably 50% of the pro triathletes, they will want the larger size. Pro cyclists who are going 32+ mph will want more space between the elbow pads and basebar.

The #1 thing to do is figure out your pad XY then work back from there. If you don't have that then work from stack/reach.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next