Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike UPDATE [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up to Cervelo for catching the ball dropped by DHL. Every year in Kona there is a missing bike and the local bike shops have always done their best to help out. My Kestrel has done IM Hawaii twice, I never have.

As for DHL - I've had several problems with their local delivery over the last 4 months. One time I had requested overnight deliver for something i NEEDED immediatly and did not know it was coming DHL. When it didn't arrive, I checked the tracking number and saw that they had "attempted delivery three times" which was a lie because someone had been continuously in the office. It was Friday afternoon and I was peeved and I needed that delivery. I finally got connected to the local distribution center and the lady told me the package was at the airport and I could come get it. NO WAY...I insisted they deliver it and didn't care that the lazy driver had to come back to town in the Friday afternoon gridlock. I don't think I'll be getting a box of chocolates from them.

Quote | Reply
Cervelo has loaned bikes to all athletes who have had their bike lost at this race (there are a few) no charge.

Now let's hear from all those idiots on this forum who wonder why so many of us give props to this outstanding company. C'mon. I know you're out there.
Last edited by: johnt: Nov 4, 05 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike UPDATE [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's clearly just a thinly veiled marketing ploy to fill their overloaded coffers with blood money extracted from poor hungry triathletes. How's that ;-)

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike UPDATE [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw alex at the expo, bike in hand. she said that it was her very own. she was greatly relieved and i think she'll going to be fine. she was more than grateful for people rallying, which they surely did.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like everything will work out fine, but my heart goes out to the athletes whose bikes didn't show up. I was freaking out before IM Hawaii a few weeks ago for just the same reason (bike hadn't shown up when it was supposed to have -- I didn't even have a tracking number to work with). It's an indescribable feeling to have trained that hard and to be physically and psychologically ready, only to have everything hinge on whether your bike will arrive. I have vowed to learn how to break my bike down and put it back together and to always, always carry it with me on a plane from now on. Not only is it way cheaper, but you've got the comfort of knowing where it is.

Best of luck to all on borrowed bikes in FL.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have to wonder if some guy on a dock is sliding these out the back door? Maybe someone that works for Fed Ex or others could describe the controls in place."

As a Sort Manager for FedEx Ground, working on the dock is my life. There are many controls in place to prevent theft. Have things ever been stolen? Of course, just like any business. But I doubt a bike could be stolen off of a dock. I can't speak for the other companies but most FedEx Ground Terminals and all Hubs have a guard that all employees (management, drivers, and package handlers) have to go through to enter and leave the facility. The employee is wanded w/ a metal detector and patted down. Like someone else said it is more common for the box to break open or the addess label fall off and the contents be sent to overgoods. If we can't figure out where it came from or where it is going, it goes to overgoods. Items are logged before they are sent to overgoods. Also packages are scanned so many times throughout its trip that it is fairly easy to narrow down where it became "lost". Call customer service, if they can't help, ask to be connected to someone in the facility it was last scanned.

Shippers and the shipping company determine if a package needs a signature for delivery, not the driver.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike UPDATE [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine has straps, and its for sale:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike [Plitnick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really... I thought you were Kuendig...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What?!?

Ahh, Now I understand your reply in the Cincy run thread. He is a good friend and training partner (well not running). I was just trying to screw him into having to run 14 miles of hills.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL-DHL Lost Bike [Plitnick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I figured the security was fairly tough. It just seems like a high percentage. Curios though, do any of the shippers publish (internal or external) numbers on how many packages are lost in any way regardelss if it is delivered eventually or not?
Quote Reply

Prev Next