Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest Wheels [sailorman2439] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on the weather either a z99 for a quite calm day or a 909 for a windy day which makes cornering easier. make sure to get the dimpled version though
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Wheels [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is the "Sonic" hub, not sure who makes it."

Pretty sure its an Edco or a derivative...but not absolutely positive. Anyway...good hubs.

I have the Alps, and have trained and raced the front exclusively for 2 years...the rear splits time with a PowerTap Pro wheel.

I really like the Alps...but according the scientists...there are faster wheels...SLIGHTLY faster...
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Wheels [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think I'm ready - run has been really strong lately. Been eating too much at the parents (Tampa). Driving up to PCB tomorrow. Guess I'll burn it off on Sat ;)

Quote | Reply
[reply]What is faster, a Zipp 404 front wheel with a Zipp 909 disk or a HED 3 spoke with a HED disk on a rolling terrain course?[/reply]

Who knows, except John Cobb, but the Renn and H3 front or Head Stinger front are definitely much cheaper.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Wheels [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i really like my reynolds stratus dvs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any decent set of race wheels is essentially as good as any other. For that matter - decent training wheels are close.

I'd bet that if you tested a bunch of race wheels - they'd be within 5-10 sec/hour of each other. Good training wheels 30-60 sec/hour behind. 5-6 hour IM race (bike leg) = 3-6 minutes savings with $1000+ race wheels vs. decent training wheels.....

And yes I have 2 sets of $1000+ race wheels and have tested others.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Wheels [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any decent set of race wheels is essentially as good as any other. For that matter - decent training wheels are close.

I'd bet that if you tested a bunch of race wheels - they'd be within 5-10 sec/hour of each other. Good training wheels 30-60 sec/hour behind. 5-6 hour IM race (bike leg) = 3-6 minutes savings with $1000+ race wheels vs. decent training wheels.....

And yes I have 2 sets of $1000+ race wheels and have tested others.

Dave

Heresy! Don't you know that it's all about the equipment? After all the wrong choice may cost you that Kona spot... blah blah... And it is totally logical to spend hours and hours online reading every equipment post and every bit of windtunnel data, instead of JFT! ;-)

Dave speaks the truth. Although I get off on the techie stuff, in the end he hit the nail on the head, in the real world this stuff doesn't make as much difference as folks make out. Too much overpriced equipment under too many undertrained legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did a slowtwitch search on campy eurus wheels, but haven't managed to find any negative comments about them yet... the search results are all cluttered up with people like Tom D saying how good they are...

I wish campy would use bearings that are 4,654,987 times rounder than other bearings though. or that they made an affordable disk that I could use for all those indoor triathlons where the absence of wind, instability and periodic accelerations mean the average triathlete doesn't even need to call on their great core strength and superior aero-bar bike handling skills.

the other problem with the eurus is they don't look fast enough or make that lovely wooshing noise. a ghibli disc or bora deep rim might be nicer, but at least they do eurus in tubulars now so you can whack some tufos on rather than having to use those damned clinchers
Quote Reply

Prev Next