Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [BJaeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squeaky wheel gets the grease. must not have had anyone bumping them for pre or post race coverage. not that it should be that way...just is.

when i had the Seahorse, i sorta bugged the Detroit Free Press and the News about race coverage. at that time our local west side papers didn't know a tri from a tree. to my amazement, we got a sports section front page headliner out of the FREEP. that was in either '98 or '99. it included some data from tri guru Lew Kidder and some info about regional names like Todd Briggs, Bonnie Karas, and John Sotir. somewhere around 30 column inches and several photos.

we just need to make the local media people know what we expect from them and then tell them why they will benefit from the coverage.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NBC IMH broadcast does't cover the race either, so why should the the rest of the media? Apparently IM racing is only about victims overcoming adversity... sport.. what sport?
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"we just need to make the local media people know what we expect from them and then tell them why they will benefit from the coverage."

Our local media is usually pretty good about this type of thing. Although they rarely do an article on the actual race they fairly frequently mention locals that do various races, and devote some space to them.

I do wonder if Fords involvement may evolve into more coverage though. I'm sure they have media guru's with soem pull.

~Matt
Last edited by: MJuric: Oct 17, 05 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm sure it will.

the dollars spent by Ford is all the pull that is needed.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ESPN has it as their main story...on the olympic sports page. It does have three decent articles though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if our local paper, The North County Times covered the race or not in yesterdays paper as someone stole my paper off the lawn yesterday. In todays paper though, they had a front page picture from the Women's Reebok triathlon held in Encinitas on Sunday, along with 3 more pictures from the race in the sports section. There were also results from the Columbus Marathon and the Amsterdam Marathon (Haile - 2:06!!).

I guess it helps when you have North County residents like PNF and Huddle, Roch and Heather Fuhr, Michillie Jones, Jessie Stensland etc.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the Sunday Star had a small caption in the Sports section - headline read that a Canadian came thrid and listed the top 3 on mens and womens side. I suspect though if no Canadian, no report.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A chicago team made the World Series for the first time of the Civil Rights Era. Do you think Chicago Papers paid any attention to a 8-17 hour voluntary deathmarch in Hawaii?

Oh, yeah... Go Sox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our newspaper in Colorado Springs, The Gazette, had a picture of the swim start with the refs in the water and an article about the winning time being the 4th fastest and Badmann winning her 6th. It also mentioned Sindballe's record on the bike. They also printed the names of all the local people who were racing earlier in the week and will likely print their results in a few days.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No mention in the Tucson sunday paper. They were to busy covering ANOTHER loss by the UofA football team and the US women winning the world championship in fencing! Talk about excitement!

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The OC Register had a full page feature on Friday before the race, with local participants and a few special interest stories...don't know if they did a results follow-up or not. As an earlier poster said, it helps that there were lots of local participants.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Really, who cares what the public thinks. I have been fortunate enough to have been to a World Series, Super Bowl, Masters, Final Four and an Opening Ceremonies at the Olympics.

I had as much fun watching saturday than at any of those other events. Hell I even woke up at 5am to watch the final hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The day and timing of the IMH event cause some of it's own problems and challenges.

It's in Hawaii, and thuse with time zone changes whatever news that makes it out of Hawaii on race day ( 3 - 4PM Hawaiian time)is often after the press cut-off time for most mainstream print media for Sunday. And I note that many papers don't publish on Sunday. Then we are into Sunday with a full slate of NFL football and also the Major League Baseball playeoff news, plus whatever else is going on on Sunday competing for media time/ space for reports on Monday and by then IMH is "old" news and likley get's cut. My thinking is that the WTC organization would be better to move the race to Sunday, that way the news when it does really get out( by Tuesday) does not have to go toe to toe with other major weekend sports events.

Of course the other thing would be to move the entire race to a time-zone that mattered, but then it would not be IMH!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the same town as Chris Lieto. The local paper had one small blurb yesterday, basically pulled from the wire service stating the winners, but no mention of Lieto. After he won Canada, they had a small article that ran 2 weeks afterward.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [jar1635] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My internet conection was down over the weekand so I could not tell who one until I came into work today. No mention of the race on ESPN or the state paper The Oregonian. Also Ironman CDE was listed to be on OLN on Sun. and it was replaced by Bull Riding. Crazy ....

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, who cares what the public thinks.

A: No one. Because we like it regardless.

B: We all do. Because we want the sport we love to get the recognition we feel it deserves. It has to be among the most difficult sports to be good at. We feel the top athletes should be able to make a more comparable salary with other athletes ... and that comes with recognition.

C: Both A and B

IMO, you win IMHI, you go one th cover of next week's SI. Unfortunately a strong college football season and dramatic MLB playoffs, a competitive NFL season are all hogging the news.

Seriously though. There is no reason why IMHI winner could not be on the cover of SI ... with a full-complete article on the event.

As I said earlier, enough people are familiar and impressed with the Kona event. Most people know of it from TV in some capacity.

Sometimes I wonder if the media doesn't over-cover the sports they like and participate in ... like golf.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/...ct17,0,3320688.story

Cali is highest local finisher in Hawaii
By Sharon Robb
STAFF WRITER
Posted October 17 2005

Anthony Cali got a workout following his dad around at the $560,000 Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

The 14-year-old Plantation High swimmer made sure Laurent Cali saw him at the start of the 2.4-mile ocean swim, 112-mile bike and 26.2-mile run during Saturday's race.

"It was nice to look up and see him. ... He chased me from the morning until the end. ... It seemed like he was everywhere. Very inspiring for me," said Laurent Cali, a Pompano Beach lifeguard and father of two.

At 46, the Frenchman was South Florida's top local finisher in his fourth Hawaii appearance, edged Richard Nixon, 40, of Coconut Creek.

Cali, a cyclist, runner and cross country skier in France where he grew up, finished 239th among a field of 1,743 in 9 hours, 44 minutes and 1 second. His splits: 1:02:32 swim, 4:58:29 bike and 3:35:39 run.

Nixon, competing in his second Hawaii Ironman and sixth Ironman overall, finished in 9:45:55, bettering his previous time of 10:08:15. His splits: 1:05:49, 5:04:56, 3:27:44.

The top local woman finisher was Heather Tagg, 39, of Miami. She finished in 11:33:32. Her splits: 1:25:40 swim, 5:44:45 bike and 4:13:03 run.

In the pro race, Faris Al-Sultan knocked off three-time defending champion Peter Reid of Canada and Switzerland's Natascha Badmann won her sixth women's title. Al-Sultan, 27, won in 8:14:17, the fastest time since 1996.

Badmann, 37, overtook leader Michellie Jones of Australia, making her Ironman debut, at Mile 19 of the run and, despite a four-minute penalty, won in 9:09:30. Badmann's win ties her with Dave Scott and Mark Allen for second on the all-time winning list.

PRO RESULTS: MEN -- 1. Faris Al-Sultan, 8:14:17, 2. Cameron Brown 8:19:36, 3. Peter Reid 8:20:04, 4. Rutger Beke 8:22:30, 5. Cameron Widoff 8:23:01. WOMEN -- 1. Natascha Badmann 9:09:30, 2. Michellie Jones 9:11:51, 3. Kate Major 9:12:39, 4. Joanna Lawn 9:14:53, 5. Kate Allen 9:22:08.

SOUTH FLORIDA FINISHERS: MEN -- Laurent Cali, Plantation 9:44:01, Richard Nixon, Coconut Creek 9:45:55, Albert Comas, Miami 10:02:15, Richard Noritake, Miami 10:11:42, Tomas Nores, Miami 11:47:54, Matthew Juall, Weston 12:58:41, Constanza Sol, Miami 13:22:35, Rick Comoglio, Deerfield Beach 14:04:47, Marty Frezza, Jupiter 4:05:53, Roland Samuelson, North Palm Beach 15:16:13, Luis Camps, Miami 15:28:37, Thomas Siddons, Key Biscayne 15:51:49. WOMEN -- Heather Tagg, Miami 11:33:32, Carol Hassell, West Palm Beach 12:07:11, Babette Kulka, Hallandale Beach 16:47:12.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw absolutely nothing in the San Jose Mercury News on Sunday. Just the standard team-sports obsession throughout the Sports section.

---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be good for most that the public doesn't know more about triathlon. Triathletes like to view themselves as athletes who do something most couldn't. If it became widely known that most triathletes pay ungodly money for equipment and races, are mostly past-their-prime amateurs trying to recapture their youth in endurance events that require no hand-eye coordination, or are failed competitors in other events (many, not all), and that the cross-section of participants at a typical triathlon looks frighteningly similar to the cross-section of the public at large, the cache that accompanies triathlon would disappear. Triathletes should be careful what they wish for. Harsh, maybe, but accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [tripat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had had a prime! While the picture you paint may be somewhat accurate about a good chunk of the AGer I think it negates the abilities of the top pros that compete. Honestly, I never really thought there was much of a "cache" involved with triathlon. I always thought the concept of swimming, then running to your bike and putting on you clothes, then biking, and then going for a run kind of a silly idea for a sport. I love doing triathlons and see myself doing them for life but the sport is kind of an odd concept. Still, I think that it is important that the top pros receive at least the respect/air time for being at the top of their game in a hard event.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [tripat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
". . .that the cross-section of participants at a typical triathlon looks frighteningly similar to the cross-section of the public at large,. ."

Really. How so? Can you elaborate on that for us?

On a physical front I would say that the cross-section of triathletes is about as far away from the normal cross section of soceity as you can get. With overweightness and obesity approaching the 50% mark amongst the general soceity, triathletes as a whole are very fot and healthy. Here, I may get onto a bit of a slippery slope, but on the whole triathletes are "Doers" they get out there and do things. Compared to the cross section of soceity I see who tend to be watchers - sitting watching the TV with the only action being the TV remote!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our local paper likes to promote "community sports" like running, cycling, and triathlon- probably because of the popularity of our hometown race, St. Anthony's Triathlon. They always have coverage from Great Floridian Triathlon, which is 100 miles away in Clermont.

[/url] Athletes fulfill their dreams Series: CYCLING / TRIATHLON; [STATE Edition] JESSICA FISH. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Oct 12, 2005. pg. 4 Abstract (Document Summary)

Other top ITU finishers were [Sharon Beltrandelrio] of Palm Harbor, 14th in the 35-39 class; Joe Bonness, Naples, 17th in 50-54; Don Ardell, St. Petersburg, third in 65-59; Winston Allen, St. Augustine, third in 75-59; and Charles Futtrell, first in 85-59.

Among the other Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship athletes are Laura Dewitt, 44, Brooksville; Steven Mandel, 44, Clearwater; Pit Gills, 35, Clearwater Beach; Marty Gaal, 33, Orlando; Farshad Charmforoosh, 30, Orlando; Todd Knouse, 43, Sarasota; Pete Adams, 40, Sarasota; Bob Wagoner, 32, Seminole; Dean Cosgrove, 45, Tarpon Springs; [Stephen Morris], 50, Tarpon Springs; Christian Sadowski, 33, Winter Park; and Fredericka Rapp, 61, Clermont.

GREAT FLORIDIAN: The Great Floridian Triathlon - a full Ironman event consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and 26.2- mile run - is set for 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 22 in Clermont. Full Text (947 words) Copyright Times Publishing Co. Oct 12, 2005

Hawaii is the ultimate place to be in October for the country's best multisport athletes.

As in past seasons, the list of qualifiers for the Team USA and Ironman Triathlon World Championships includes some of Florida's top amateur or age-group competitors.

AQUATHLON: Leading the pack to the podium in the ITU Aquathlon World Championships - a 2-mile run, 1,000-yard swim and 2-mile run - in Honolulu, Hawaii, on Oct. 4, were the following Team USA locals:

Sharon Beltrandelrio of Palm Harbor, first place in the female 35- 39 division with a performance of 38 minutes, 3 seconds; May-Li Cuypers, Belleair Bluffs, fourth in 35-39, 40:48; and Patricia Hoffman, second, 55-59, 52:20).

WORLD COMPETITION: Many competitors chose to stay in Hawaii for the ITU Age-Group Triathlon World Championships. The 1,500-meter swim, 40-kilometer bike ride and 10K run was held Oct. 9 in Honolulu.

Florida fans celebrated a major victory after Marc Bonnet- Eymardproduced the fastest overall performance (1 hour, 55 minutes, 48 seconds).

The 33-year-old from Winter Garden captured last year's St. Pete Mad Dog Madeira Beach Triathlon crown and topped his St. Anthony's Triathlon division in 1:55:51.

Bonnet-Eymard says he enjoys training and racing in the area, often using sprint events at Fort DeSoto Park as part of his speed work. He also won the Escape From Fort DeSoto Triathlon on April 16 and Top Gun Triathlon on Aug. 6.

Other top ITU finishers were Sharon Beltrandelrio of Palm Harbor, 14th in the 35-39 class; Joe Bonness, Naples, 17th in 50-54; Don Ardell, St. Petersburg, third in 65-59; Winston Allen, St. Augustine, third in 75-59; and Charles Futtrell, first in 85-59.

Ardell also won a silver medal in the ITU Duathlon World Championships' 10-kilometer run, 40K bike ride and 10K run in Newcastle, Australia, on Sept. 25.

Ardell, 66, an author and wellness expert well known to University of South Florida physiology students, stopped on his way to Hawaii, giving several lectures in Japan.

"I really do enjoy the traveling," Ardell said.

"My wife, Carol, will also compete in the Worlds," he said, "and she will catch up with me out in Hawaii."

COUNTDOWN TO KONA: The Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship - a 2.4-mile swim, 112 miles of cycling and 26.2-mile run - is scheduled for 7 a.m. on Saturday in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

The top 10 men and women will split the $580,000 cash prize. For the rest of the 1,800 competitors, from 51 countries and 49 U.S. states, the goal is to reach the finish line on Alii Drive before the midnight cutoff.

Real-time updates, live audio and video, text updates and photos on http://www.ironmanlive.com will allow friends and families all over the world to follow the event.

Some of the many athletes to watch are Marcos Alegre, 69, of Largo; Joe Bonness, 50, Naples; Arthur Halttunen, 55, St. Petersburg; Stephen Morris, 50, Tarpon Springs; Linda Musante, 51, Tampa; and Tom Russell, 35, Tampa.

Alegre set an age-group record in the 2001 Ironman and has impressed his St. Pete Mad Dogs Triathlon Club training partner by staging a comeback.

Bonness, who won the 45-49 age group in Kona the past two years, is returning for an attempt to capture his third Clermont's Great Floridian Triathlon title on Oct. 22. Bonness also will try to repeat his famous "Ironman Triple" by racing in Ford Ironman Florida on Nov. 5 in Panama City Beach. Last season, he was 20th overall and second in his division.

Among the other Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship athletes are Laura Dewitt, 44, Brooksville; Steven Mandel, 44, Clearwater; Pit Gills, 35, Clearwater Beach; Marty Gaal, 33, Orlando; Farshad Charmforoosh, 30, Orlando; Todd Knouse, 43, Sarasota; Pete Adams, 40, Sarasota; Bob Wagoner, 32, Seminole; Dean Cosgrove, 45, Tarpon Springs; Stephen Morris, 50, Tarpon Springs; Christian Sadowski, 33, Winter Park; and Fredericka Rapp, 61, Clermont.

Among the professionals will be Heather Gollnick, 35, Bradenton; and Alison Hayden, 33, Dade City.

GREAT FLORIDIAN: The Great Floridian Triathlon - a full Ironman event consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and 26.2- mile run - is set for 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 22 in Clermont.

Director Fred Sommer said the race has been awarded the USA Triathlon National Championship designation for the Ironman distance. Often referred to as "The People's Ironman," the GFT does not require special qualifying procedures.

CFT/Sommer Sports offers two other events on race day, not including the Ironman relay team competitions.

The Florida Challenge - a half Ironman with a 1.2-mile swim, 56 miles of cycling and 13.1-mile run - is scheduled for 8:30 a.m.

It will be followed by the inaugural Floridian Super Sprint Triathlon - a quarter-mile swim, 8 miles of biking and 2-mile run - at 9:30. Some of the 1,000 volunteers will begin the day by competing in the sprint distance triathlon.

Each year, CFT/Sommer Sports awards a special $1,000 cash prize to the club with the best water stop. St. Pete Mad Dogs members have designed memorable stops in the past, using such themes as a haunted house.

For information, contact http://www.greatfloridian.com or Sommer, (352) 394-1320.

[/url] Ironman Triathlon World Championships; [SOUTH PINELLAS Edition] JESSICA FISH. St. Petersburg Times. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Oct 15, 2005. pg. 5.C Abstract (Document Summary)

LOCALS: Marcos Alegre, 69, Largo; Bob Wagoner, 32, Seminole; Art Halttunen, 55, St. Petersburg; Tom Russell, 35, Tampa; Linda Musante, 51, Tampa; Dean Cosgrove, 45, Tarpon Springs; Stephen Morris, 50, Tarpon Springs. Full Text (119 words) Copyright Times Publishing Co. Oct 15, 2005

WHERE: Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

WHEN: 1 p.m. EDT today.

RACE DISTANCES: Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles.

ENTRIES: Some 1,800 competitors from 51 countries and 49 states.

PRIZE MONEY: $580,000 awarded to the top 10 finishers. First place men and women receive $100,000.

LAST YEAR'S WINNERS: Normann Stadler, Germany, 8:33:29; Natascha Badmann, Switzerland, 9:50:04.

COURSE RECORDS: Luc Van Lierde, Belgium, 8:04:08 (1966); Paula Newby-Fraser, Zimbabwe, 8:55:28 (1992).

LOCALS: Marcos Alegre, 69, Largo; Bob Wagoner, 32, Seminole; Art Halttunen, 55, St. Petersburg; Tom Russell, 35, Tampa; Linda Musante, 51, Tampa; Dean Cosgrove, 45, Tarpon Springs; Stephen Morris, 50, Tarpon Springs. Two professionals: Heather Gollnick, 35, Bradenton; Alison Hayden, 33, Dade City.

COVERAGE: http://www.ironmanlive.com.

- JESSICA FISH, Times correspondent
[/url]

Reproduced with permission of the copyright owner. Further reproduction or distribution is prohibited without permission.
Section: SPORTS Text Word Count 119 Document URL:

Copyright © 2005 St. Petersburg Times

Quote Reply

Prev Next