Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just to show how the public views triathlons
Quote | Reply
There was not a single word in the Baltimore Sun or Washington Post about Hawaii Ironman this morning. Not even a one line mention.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [BJaeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few newspapers covered it here (plus we had 2 tv channels giving a summary last night) - I guess it was cause Badmann and Faris won ;).

Oh, I should mention that I live in Switzerland.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toronto Star mentioned the underpants run but no coverage of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBC news web site doesn't mention anything ...

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Underwear run made ESPN as well. In the segemnt on top 10 wierd plays or something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those in the US, will Jim Rome bring it up at noon today? He talked about the TdF, so you never know...

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw a blurb yesterday in the back where they put the bits and pieces about cricket and rugby and stuff. surely only because a canadian got 3rd as they mentioned that.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be great if Taco Bell picked up Faris Al Sultan as a spokesperson.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only heard him talk about triathlon once: when PNF was a guest on his show a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw an interview on ESPN News on Friday with Normann Stadler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the charlotte, nc sunday paper had a small pic of race official holding up a rope at the starting line then the typical water polo looking mass start. other then the sentance under the picture their was not any other mention of the race.

peace,

rf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the media stinks...who cares!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But, why don't triathletes make as much as Michelle Wei?

Truth is, this is not an exciting sport to view. Hell, it isn't even that much "fun" to do (for most people). As the shirt says, "My sport is your sport's punishment".

It is what it is, and those that love it ... really love it.

I personally, find golf and tennis to be boring as all heck. Tying me to a chair and forcing me to watch that (or the WNBA) ... would get me to confess to any crime ... just as long as I could turn the TV off.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]the charlotte, nc sunday paper had a small pic of race official holding up a rope at the starting line then the typical water polo looking mass start. other then the sentance under the picture their was not any other mention of the race.

peace,

rf[/reply]

Same thing here in Louisville

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was on the second sports page of the Ottawa Citizen. Approximately 1 column wide and 8 inches high. Pretty good for a tier 5 sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] As the shirt says, "My sport is your sport's punishment".
[/reply]

Man, that's great! Where did you see that shirt? Haven't had the pleasure...Sure would love to use that slogan.

I also agree with you as far as watching those "popular" sports. Not enough time in my life..

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a concerted effort yesterday morning to not look in the sports section (San Jose Mercury News) until I had a chance to scroll through the race on IronmanLive. Then I found no mention in the Merc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad, not quite true, at least in the Northern VA edition of the Post. There was a small blurb on the race on the first page (not front page). They only mentioned the top three men.

BTW, I want TriAtlantic back!!!

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMH has an interesting profile. Inside the sport of triathlon, it is the "biggest" and most important event of the year. Outside the sport and the reality is it get's very little coverage at all. The one exception to that, and it is a very important exception is the NBC Ironman Hawaii Show, which get's very impressive TV numbers. What this does, is that if you ask the average person about triathlon, their first thoughts are of IMH. Say, "triathlon", and they will say, "That's that event in Hawaii"!

Now the triathlon that get's the most media coverage, is the Olympic Triathlon - which pulls in huge world wide viewership and media coverage.

We had a good example of this a few years ago, when within a year, Canada was the home of both the Olympic triathlon champion in the form of Simon Whitfield and the Ironman World Champion in the form of Peter Reid. Overnight, Simon Whitfield became a house hold name in Canada. After his Gold medal performance, his story was the lead story on not just the sports news, but the real news all across Canada and elsewhere. His picture was on the front page of almost every newspaper in the country. When Peter Reid won Ironman Hawaii that barely recived a mention anywhere. Perhaps just a brief news-release item in the very back of the sports pages. This is not to diminish or analyze the performance of either of these outstanding athletes - it's just to point out the media profile of the respective events outside of the hard-core triathlon media is very different.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the same thing in the Jacksonville, Fla., paper.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you surprised by this? Outside of competitors, former competitors and some endurance athletes from other sports, most people know very little about triathlon and care even less. Especially when IMH is competing for sports page room against two of the most exciting college football finishes (USC over ND and Michigan over Penn State) in recent memory. You aren't doing this to see your name in print, are you?

Besides, if triathlon were really popular, then there would be a lot more really good athletes doing it, race fees would be even higher, bike courses would be even more crowded, and almost all of us would be placing worse than we do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No mention in the "miscellaneous" notes area of the Sports section in Sunday or Monday NYTimes. They did have small blurbs on both of the marathons run over the weekend -- Gebresellasie's win and the other one where the guy skipped 800m by accident. They mention collegiate rowing in there, so I expected some mention. Oh well...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Laguna Beach for the weekend and the LA news had a report on Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Just to show how the public views triathlons [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, you would expect some mention. It IS an INTERNATIONAL championship that has been going on for 25+ years ... and most people have at least heard of the vent, if only from NBC or a Gatorade commercial.

I'm not expecting an actual story w/ picture, but a paragraph or at listing the top 10 finishers. Something.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're all just waiting until I win....

~Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next