Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am surprised this wasn't more of a big deal here. Or maybe not...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [krgregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed camera perspective always make these shots look worse than they really are. The three rear motos seem like they are drafting and they are likley way apart.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if the rules say you can do something, then why can't you do it?

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there as a spectator and watched the riders go down then back up Palani Road. There was definate non legal pack riding going on. Just about every spectator out there was commenting on it.....kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks like a legal group. It's not a "no drafting" race -- it's a "no following closer than two and a half bike lengths" race.
Correct, but when you hear PNF repeating several times that they have done wind tunnel tests and there is NO ADVANTAGE after 7m, I wonder. Why not saying 'there is an advantage, but we compromise and try to limit it'? Wopuld they loose face?

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am no expert but with the side winds... I don't see how you could draft efficiently. In still air, sure.

Alex

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one correction, I think that GTG parses their words a bit more finely, not saying there is no "advantage" but no difference between 7 meters and 10 meters...check the press release, which I can't get to from the new imlive.com page.

Also, two good points:

it is impossible to judge illegal drafting of a group riding the other way.

my best judge is the shadows vs. the traffic lines. I think if you can be "outside two lines" (i.e. further than one line and one space) then you are safe. Those shadows would seem to be just at the limit, but not clearly illegal.
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
am i missing something, but how is that someone yelling a split gets you a penalty for outside assistance but getting a whole new wheel like stadler did is kosher?
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe at any race, as long as a person is part of the official support crew, they do give you lots of appropriate help.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a fair amount of drafting out there as well , not many 1 metre jobs , but definitely some trains , with carridges within 7 x 3m.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was there as a spectator and watched the riders go down then back up Palani Road. There was definate non legal pack riding going on. Just about every spectator out there was commenting on it.....kj

Cheers

Vernon
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [Vernon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back at ya.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops. I was questioning whether Palani was a good place to get a good understanding of the extent of drafting given how short and steep it was but I think the moment has been lost....

Cheers

Vernon
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"you are conceding a huge advantage to your competitors"

That is such a typical excuse you hear from you guys all the time.

But you despise drafting, right?

Hypocrites!!!!

But that how it works for most of you, I guess. Sleep well!

I think the point is ride within the rules and within those rules there is a drafting benefit. No one is advocating cheating.

If you absolutely want no drafting benefit from the person in front then stay back at least 10m from their rear wheel or about 12m front to front. Closer then that you will get some benefit.

If you feel better about making up your own rules then more power to you.
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [Vernon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oops. I was questioning whether Palani was a good place to get a good understanding of the extent of drafting given how short and steep it was but I think the moment has been lost....

Cheers

Vernon
Also, Palani was very early in the bike course before the athletes had time to settle in and space out.

Quote | Reply
also, the pack/pace-line is dynamic. riders are constantly passing and getting passed. it's hard to judge looking at one picture. simon was in that group, i think. maybe he should give us his perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [blsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was caught at about mile 30 on the bike, with out a doubt it was a huge advantage to be in the pack. (Especially with the new 7m rule.) On the way out to Hawi there was a lot of sitting up and soft pedaling (including me) I still managed to AV 42-43 km/h to Hawi

That's why in Hawaii, it is so important to have a good swim or at least come out with the main pack. If you miss the train you just make your day so much harder!
Quote Reply
Re: No drafting at IMKona, huh? [simon lessing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that says a lot about Faris awesome performance...
Quote Reply

Prev Next