Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!! I realize that the next step in progress for myself is going to take alot of effort/yardage. Will most likely stick in "maintenance mode" until after IMLOU and then entertain a heavy swim winter to try to start working towards that hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i put in alot of volume over the winter. worked on technique. worked on fitness.

i was excited to add my brag to this thread. comparing race times for the same event last year to this year.

did the race today.

turns out i still suck!....hopefully ill add to the brags next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Timbikerun wrote:
Well as long as this thread is intended for bragging...
First Tri, 2010,1000 yards, 38 minutes
Most recent 1.2 mile swim, 2015, 26 minutes

OWS times have little meaning given their widely varying distances. Only pool swim times really mean anything in terms of progress. So, what's your best time for your 1000 scy??? Also, JOOC, was that first 1000 yd tri swim in a 25-yd pool???

waitaminnit we said Adult Onset Swimmers. Gitcher fishy jargon back to the scy pool!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Timbikerun wrote:
Well as long as this thread is intended for bragging...
First Tri, 2010,1000 yards, 38 minutes
Most recent 1.2 mile swim, 2015, 26 minutes

OWS times have little meaning given their widely varying distances. Only pool swim times really mean anything in terms of progress. So, what's your best time for your 1000 scy??? Also, JOOC, was that first 1000 yd tri swim in a 25-yd pool???

waitaminnit we said Adult Onset Swimmers. Gitcher fishy jargon back to the scy pool!

If you prefer, time for 800 scm. Actually, Timbikerun did respond and said he'd gone 5:33 for 500 scy and 19:3X for 1650 scy, which is quite impressive for an AOS tri guy:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Care to elaborate on what you did from 2010-2012 to cut your time in half. That's impressive. I've been at it for 4 years and have only managed to go from a 2:23 per 100/m pace to a 1:40. If I kicked and did flip turns I might get close to 1:30.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was very lucky to go to a small college with a developing swim team, and they let me walk on to fill lanes when possible. Spent 3 seasons getting my ass kicked by slow girls, swimming 6 x per week, with a couple months of doubles at the end of each season. I was probably around 30-40k per week at my peak, crazy high in the context of tri, but I was on lower volume than most of my teammates!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. The time and effort has definitely paid off. No short cuts when it comes to swimming. I thought I was doing well with 8-10k a week and have moved from the slow lanes to the second fastest lane. Unfortunately now with time constraints (work/family) I do most of my swimming by myself rather than with our club and tough to get on those feet and have others push you to keep up. I guess the reality is if I want to get any faster I will have to just put more consistent time into it.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timbikerun wrote:
Was very lucky to go to a small college with a developing swim team, and they let me walk on to fill lanes when possible. Spent 3 seasons getting my ass kicked by slow girls, swimming 6 x per week, with a couple months of doubles at the end of each season. I was probably around 30-40k per week at my peak, crazy high in the context of tri, but I was on lower volume than most of my teammates!

Guess what folks?

There is no secret to swimming fast - just hard work (work includes distance AND technique).

Enjoy the journey. The fruits of the labor are indeed sweet, but the taste is fleeting.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forsey wrote:
Congrats. The time and effort has definitely paid off. No short cuts when it comes to swimming. I thought I was doing well with 8-10k a week and have moved from the slow lanes to the second fastest lane. Unfortunately now with time constraints (work/family) I do most of my swimming by myself rather than with our club and tough to get on those feet and have others push you to keep up. I guess the reality is if I want to get any faster I will have to just put more consistent time into it.

I'm coming here to brag - my motivation has become less and less after a year of swimming with little improvement that I am still in the slowest lane in the triathlon club squad.

I started regularly swimming on my own in April 2018, then regular OW group swim in July 2018, and started squad training in October 2018. Here's my times comparison:

1500 LCM T/T
2018-11-30: 0:31:42
2019-12-10: 0:28:54

3.8 km OW race on the same course
2018-11-03: 1:25:45
2019-11-03: 1:20:55

A lot of people on ST say they swim at about 1:40 pace not long after they start swimming, like a few months or a year, but I am still a long way from the 2:00 pace barrier, which makes me not able to find training partners because the people I know are faster than that. I swim about 5 times per week, about 14 - 18 km total in late 2019, with a combination of squad session, my pool interval session and OW swims.

I really want to bring down my 3.8 km time to about 65 - 68 minutes (because the people I know mostly swim at around that speed), but this seems to be a huge gap. It doesn't seem to be achievable for me. Also, I no longer have confidence in my current club squad but I know no one else so I'm afraid I will lose friends. The thought of giving up swimming constantly appear in my mind but I still need to wait for February to make my final decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:

A lot of people on ST say they swim at about 1:40 pace not long after they start swimming, like a few months or a year, but I am still a long way from the 2:00 pace barrier, which makes me not able to find training partners because the people I know are faster than that.

On the contrary, you've found the best group of training partners. Kill yourself in training with them. Do whatever you have to do to keep up. Sit out a 50 here and there (Real Swimmers (tm) will abuse you for doing so, but whatever). Swim as hard as you can for as much as you can.

When I was early in my AOS days, I swam with a group I had no business swimming with. Half a dozen guys who all could still do under 5:00/500scy (and still drink beer to excess), plus others, all former college swimmers. Insane sets of 250s. All in the same lane. Killed myself to put off getting lapped as long as possible, then got back on when the train went past. The craziest was eleven of us in one lane; we did 10x50 on :35 because anything more had the lead guy catch the last guy before he left.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
miklcct wrote:

A lot of people on ST say they swim at about 1:40 pace not long after they start swimming, like a few months or a year, but I am still a long way from the 2:00 pace barrier, which makes me not able to find training partners because the people I know are faster than that.

On the contrary, you've found the best group of training partners. Kill yourself in training with them. Do whatever you have to do to keep up. Sit out a 50 here and there (Real Swimmers (tm) will abuse you for doing so, but whatever). Swim as hard as you can for as much as you can.

When I was early in my AOS days, I swam with a group I had no business swimming with. Half a dozen guys who all could still do under 5:00/500scy (and still drink beer to excess), plus others, all former college swimmers. Insane sets of 250s. All in the same lane. Killed myself to put off getting lapped as long as possible, then got back on when the train went past. The craziest was eleven of us in one lane; we did 10x50 on :35 because anything more had the lead guy catch the last guy before he left.

I still swim with guys I have no business swimming with, and sometimes lead the lane when really I shouldn't, just trying to stay ahead of the fast young guys. It works. There's no substitute for being willing to make yourself hurt a bit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
klehner wrote:
miklcct wrote:

I still swim with guys I have no business swimming with, and sometimes lead the lane when really I shouldn't, just trying to stay ahead of the fast young guys. It works. There's no substitute for being willing to make yourself hurt a bit.

Those swimmers who I have no business swimming with are doing 7 - 17 km P2P OW long swims on weekends which I can never follow. I can't find any training partners for that but I need those long swims to prepare for marathon swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want my honest opinion, you’re trying to do something that you really haven’t got the base for. It’s like trying to build a house, but skipping the foundation.

Build into the marathon swimming. They aren’t for the inexperienced.

One of the women I swim with wants to do the English Channel. She’s been swimming since she was in diapers, swam club and now masters, and she still recognizes that it’s a 4 year plan to get there. Some things you just cannot rush.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If you want my honest opinion, you’re trying to do something that you really haven’t got the base for. It’s like trying to build a house, but skipping the foundation.

Build into the marathon swimming. They aren’t for the inexperienced.

One of the women I swim with wants to do the English Channel. She’s been swimming since she was in diapers, swam club and now masters, and she still recognizes that it’s a 4 year plan to get there. Some things you just cannot rush.

Oh god - I also want to do the channel and I have written a 1.5 year plan to get there (that was a 2.5 year plan when I just started swimming which I am now 1 year into it and following it well), but now I'm hitting the major obstacle - to find a good slot for my channel attempt and need thorough consideration now, and a minor obstacle that I haven't got enough cold water training because God forbids me to do that due to the weather in these 2 winters being too warm.
Quote Reply

Prev Next