Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [Louie Chee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Chee wrote:
I started swimming 4.5 years ago from scratch. The set I use to test my fitness is 10x200 on 2:30 scy, and in April I did a 1650yd TT (w/ Roka shorts) and went 19:08. Still working on translating my speed to the open water though...

Good job on that 10x200 (I made that set twice that I can remember). A similar set that might help for OW is 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 on 1:20/100, trying to hold 1:10s the whole way through; I did this about the same time I did your 10x200 on 2:30.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
That is very impressive, as are all of the posts I am reading in this thread. Here is a question I am dying to ask. For those of you who have improved significantly, how do you find the time to swim that much weekly yardage and still have time to train the bike and run? I will never understand how some of you can swim 10-20k yards a week, or more, and ride or run for several hours on top of that. Is the secret to only sleep for five hours a night? Flexible job? Self employed? No kids? All of the above? And I don't want to hear that if you are motivated enough you can find the time. That is BS if you have kids, a busy job, a spouse you want to spend time with, a dog, a large yard to maintain, etc.

Yes I am jealous of you adult onset swimmers who turned into real swimmers (at least compared to triathletes). I am lucky to squeeze in 5k yards a week in the pool.

I was at the pool at 5am today, and Wednesday, and Monday. About 7,500yds of either warmup or busting it intervals. (today: 5x(4x75) on 1:10/1:05/1:00/1:05/1:10 with only a 50 on 1:00 after the 4 on 1:00. That's 1,550yds in 22:55 or so, or 1:28/100). Make the most of the time you have.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
That is very impressive, as are all of the posts I am reading in this thread. Here is a question I am dying to ask. For those of you who have improved significantly, how do you find the time to swim that much weekly yardage and still have time to train the bike and run? I will never understand how some of you can swim 10-20k yards a week, or more, and ride or run for several hours on top of that. Is the secret to only sleep for five hours a night? Flexible job? Self employed? No kids? All of the above? And I don't want to hear that if you are motivated enough you can find the time. That is BS if you have kids, a busy job, a spouse you want to spend time with, a dog, a large yard to maintain, etc.

Yes I am jealous of you adult onset swimmers who turned into real swimmers (at least compared to triathletes). I am lucky to squeeze in 5k yards a week in the pool.

Have you ever tried a Nov-March swim focus, i.e. stop the B and R altogether, but swim 5-6 days/wk??? Klehner can correct me if i'm wrong but i think he was "just swimming" for the first 2 or 3 yrs, and then took up the B and R. So, he made his biggest progress when concentrating on swimming as hard as possible. One hr/day, 5-6 days/wk, of hard swimming w/ no B or R will enable most people to improve greatly, and that is how most people who swam seriously as kids did it: they just swam hard and did no other strenuous physical activities.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:

Since you asked me I will respond. I was a grad student when I started with two nice pools 5 minutes from where I worked. So it was relatively easy to sneak in a lot of swims. No kids and that helps. I don't swim as much now, and I cannot swim as fast as I did a few years ago particularly over longer distances. One of my secrets is bike commuting--people (regular people, not ST) wonder how I can "waste" so much time riding ~40 miles/day, but I spend very little time "wasted" in a car.

I think if you want to get fast, you do need to dedicate 6-12 months on huge pool yardage. Once you get that fitness/speed you can dial it back. I am only 4-5 s/100 slower on 7-8 km/week than I would be at 20k/week. Frequency is really key too, much easier if you have a pool near work. I think frequency is more critical in swimming than bike/run because of the technical aspects and because it is inherent unnatural.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I have not tried that yet because I was afraid to drop the run for that long of a time. Running is my strength so I guess I should have faith that I can pick it back up fairly quickly. I did have my best improvement when I swam all Winter a few years ago, 4 days a week about 10k yards weekly. Would I retain most of the improvements from a swim focus though if I then went back to 3 times a week closer to the tri season? I just don't have the time to swim that much and still bike and run.

Ya, you should be able to maintain your improvements as long as you are rested enough to swim good quality. And yes, since you are after all "runner66", you "should have faith". My view after many yrs is that, if my swim is in really good shape, running and cycling are pretty easy to get back into.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
It would take me close to an hour to swim what you did in under 23 minutes, my pool opens at 6:00, and I had to be back home before work for my daughter to open her birthday presents before school. Yes, I know most people with kids have these time constraints. It would help if my pool were open earlier, since I regularly run at 5:00 a.m.

I have a related question for you. I am working with an instructor who has me only doing 25s and 50s for now until I fix some of my stroke error and build more endurance. However, it is not working. I am struggling to swim more than a 300 yard straight without my form breaking down. Last year I was able to improve quite a bit just by swimming as much as possible and as hard as I could for every session. I did not worry so much about technique, but was able to just keep hammering and eventually I got faster even using my poor stroke form. I'm thinking I should just go back to that and let the pace clock dictate whether I am improving. Bad idea?

Never swim with bad form. If your form is breaking down, stop and recover. The ingraining of bad habits that results from continuing to swim with bad form outweighs the benefits of increased fitness. That said, you gotta swim longer than 25s/50s. Do longer intervals with more rest or less speed, so you can maintain form but still build endurance.

I like to think they call it swim "practice" for a reason: every stroke you take should be practice of whatever you are trying to work on. You have a stroke flaw? Think about it every stroke, every interval, every set. Not only do you work on the technique improvement, you work on your ability to "observe" your body and stroke mechanics, which will be essential to noticing when bad habits creep in. You want to get to the point where you never make the same mistake two strokes in a row, since you noted the mistake and immediately corrected it.

(note: I'm not a real fish, but I started late enough in life that I still remember what the learning process was like. I think that gives me some valuable perspective. I could be wrong).

ericmulk has a good point. I swam exclusively for about two years before switching to triathlon training; I continued to do mostly swimming during the winter for another four years or so before backing off masters swimming. That correlates, remarkably enough, with my swim improvement. Perhaps 6-8 years later, I did some focused swimming with a Real Swimmer, and got quite a bit of my swim fitness back. Nowadays, it is enough to hammer the intervals three times per week.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are impressive. Just gotta keep at it!

I swam most of the winter, not too hard core. Biking (commuting ) got in the way, just to beat up from that to swim "focus". I did swim weekends with the club when I could and as shared on here I worked on core and swim fitness, multi-stroke work and things felt like they were really coming together.

So this past week I jumped in our <60DegF lake with the suit, and bam - I felt like I was killing it. I shot some video because my stroke never felt this good.

But I go back to the 80DegF pool here and seriously still feel like it's a (breathing) struggle. After 1 hour of warm-up I am feeling better in the pool, and (shame) using a pull buoy is cake. But I can't nearly get the grip & lift and kick that i get with the cold water. I even tested without a suit and I swim way better in the lake.

I just seem to have very little margin between flying and drowning. Anyone know what I am saying??

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
There has been some awesome progres on display in this thread, way to go everyone!

I think the commonality is what Thomas wrote: millions of yards. Well I suppose Ken had some early success, but I'll go with "exception to prove the point."

We debate flip turns, bands, buoys, drills, etc... And in the end it just comes down to getting out there and doing it...

Bingo, I'm glad someone got my message right off the bat. As you get better it becomes incremently harder and harder to get faster requiring many many more yards. And the best way to measure progress is pick out 10 people you regular race with and keep a very detailed log of your race perfromances to theirs. And to think some swim groups at higher levels put in 80k-100k a week, that is as much many people do in the year.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely don't qualify for the likes of the swim speedsters posting on this thread, but just for kicks -

3 years ago - 1000TT SCY done at 1:55/100 pace all out. I had been swimming for 3 years before that as an AOS-swimmer that tried hard but clearly had very little talent. (I finished in the bottom 5 of my AG on the swim in my first 3 triathlons, and I was swim-focused since it was my glaring weakness!)

Last month - 1000TT SCY done at 1:28/100 pace, might have actually been able to go a bit faster if I'd paced it better. Finished in the top 20% of AG swim finishers in my last triathlon without going all out.

Everyone here knows my story - I'm literally the guy that made most of my progress as the fish out of water, meaning I did 80% Vasa and 20% pool volume or even 90%/10% ratio at my peak improvements starting 2 years ago.

I've pretty much given up trying to squeeze more speed out of small technique gains. My technique is nowhere near perfect, and even I can see the errors on a homebrewed video, but at my MOP+ level I make huge gains from volume+intensity and basically zero gains from focusing on better EVF, better head position, etc. It's disappointing as I have probably spent hundred+ hours on pure technique drillage in the pool, but the grand total of my speed gains after getting to 1:55/100 have been <2sec/100 attributable to technique alone.

I am not exaggerating one bit when I say that my form at 1:21/100 pace is almost identical ot my form at 1:55/100 - I just pull much harder and turnover is much faster. But my videos from both speeds look otherwise identical - I don't think it's true at all that you must make dramatic changes in technique at my level of swimming to improve even though it sounds good from the coaches who say you'll naturally get much better technique as you gain 20+sec/100. The Vasa power numbers also reflect this - when I started on the Vasa I could barely hold 35 watts for 200s, whereas now it's routinely 70-80 watts for 200s-400s, and higher for intervals.

I'll echo what the folks above said as well - a dedicated swim block is really crucial to make gains once your plateau as an AOS swimmer. I made a swim focus for 2 separate 4 month blocks where 60-80% of my training was Vasa+pool, and that's where I made permanent jumps in swim ability that are maintained on 8-10k/wk. It's otherwise really hard for a AG triathlete to find time to put in enough swim time unless they can train 20hrs/wk.
Last edited by: lightheir: May 22, 15 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken, thanks for all the workout tips btw. I'm going to try the "4x75" as well (probably not 5x :))

Anyway, I'm a weird adult onset swimmer, picked it up after my "semi-pro" 12" softball career came to an end, and fell in love with the sport really. So after a few yrs of average masters swimming and even more average/dismal times, I scrapped everything and went to the drawing board, focusing on technique, weights (yes, weights), less yardage, and ultra-short sets. Currently focused on one thing, the 100free (yds), don't really care about any distance stuff, and I don't want to get too old that I won't have a shot of ever breaking 50 sec. I had thought 52:12 was my limit until this year I broke 52 three times and finally now kissed 51 flat. Not great by some standards, but its a breakthrough for me and I gotta thank a couple of people on the forum (who know who they are by now...Ken/Eric).
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there's no denying that some grunt & turnover is required for swimming well.

On the Vasa trainer - have they changed much in the past years? There is one for sale pretty close to me, guy says it was bought in 2005 for surf training, but his wife had sore shoulders using it.

Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
I think there's no denying that some grunt & turnover is required for swimming well.

On the Vasa trainer - have they changed much in the past years? There is one for sale pretty close to me, guy says it was bought in 2005 for surf training, but his wife had sore shoulders using it.

I'm only familiar with the erg (not trainer) as an owner - I'm not knowledgable enough to date back to 05, but I haven't seen any other previous models different hardwarewise from the current erg and trainer offerings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met a guy at the pool yesterday to coach his swimming and was blown away at how good he was with just 1 year of practice. Youtube videos and a semester of "conditioning swimming" class at TAMU (no real help from the teacher at all, unfortunately) was what did it. He was burning a lot of extra calories, but the dude could scoot.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I have not tried that yet because I was afraid to drop the run for that long of a time. Running is my strength so I guess I should have faith that I can pick it back up fairly quickly. I did have my best improvement when I swam all Winter a few years ago, 4 days a week about 10k yards weekly. Would I retain most of the improvements from a swim focus though if I then went back to 3 times a week closer to the tri season? I just don't have the time to swim that much and still bike and run.

A couple of seasons ago I buggered my already dodgy knee a bit heading into winter so I eased right off the running and increased my pool time & volume significantly. I did Slowman's guppie challenge, got into the habit of swimming intervals and varying my efforts, started to use the pace clock. I got faster and increased my swim endurance so I was able to hold my form for much longer. I was very pleasantly surprised when I got back on the road to find that my aerobic capacity for running hadn't suffered at all and if anything, had improved.

If I hadn't got so addicted to trail running recently, I'd probably try and do the same this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
Cape_Horn wrote:
Best improvement?
Back to back weekends 70.3s
Weekend #1 (Challenge Melb 2015) - 45+min
Weekend #2 (Geelong 70.3) - 33mins

Anyone else cut 12+minutes in a week over 1.9km?

Don't think the conditions had anything to do with that? :-)

I can do 'fly. Not a lot. But recognisable 'fly..

Conditions should have had me around 40mins.
More was the bike crash a few weeks earlier that meant I could not raise my hands above my shoulders until 2 days before the race.
3 physio sessions between races also helped (and perfect conditions in Geelong)
Note: Geelong this year was my fastest HIM swim by 4 mins, and the garmin clocked it at 1.98k - so it wasn't short.
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
Ken, thanks for all the workout tips btw. I'm going to try the "4x75" as well (probably not 5x :))

Anyway, I'm a weird adult onset swimmer, picked it up after my "semi-pro" 12" softball career came to an end, and fell in love with the sport really. So after a few yrs of average masters swimming and even more average/dismal times, I scrapped everything and went to the drawing board, focusing on technique, weights (yes, weights), less yardage, and ultra-short sets. Currently focused on one thing, the 100free (yds), don't really care about any distance stuff, and I don't want to get too old that I won't have a shot of ever breaking 50 sec. I had thought 52:12 was my limit until this year I broke 52 three times and finally now kissed 51 flat. Not great by some standards, but its a breakthrough for me and I gotta thank a couple of people on the forum (who know who they are by now...Ken/Eric).

This is so awesome, congrats!!! You and Ken are truly the role models for AG tri guys!!! I'm rooting for you to go 49.99!!!!!

BTW, I took some time off from swimming this past winter b/c i'd done so much the past 2 yrs in the USMS "Go The Distance" Challenge (1500 miles/yr, or about 53,000 yd/wk, w/ 2 wks off/yr) , and have been back in the water for about 12 days now. All I can say is that anyone who does NOT think swimming requires upper body strength/endurance is either not swimming properly, or not trying very hard. Despite having swum my entire life, my whole UB was so sore after the first day that i could just barely force my arms/shoulders into the streamline position on Day 2. Things are getting better though and i'm starting to feel pretty normal, albeit slow, in the water. My stroke is fine but i just can't pull hard enough to turn over fast enough to go anywhere very fast. I think though that i really needed a break to let swim muscles "rest and refresh" themselves:)

Anyway, keep at it Tiger, you're doing great!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric for your input to my pm's as well. Oh, and I'd say Ken is the man when it comes to adult onset swimmers (and/or time crunched "bang for the buck" swimmers). I "bothered" him a lot picking his brain and copied many of his workouts (had to modify them slightly as some were too difficult).
Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
Thanks Eric for your input to my pm's as well. Oh, and I'd say Ken is the man when it comes to adult onset swimmers (and/or time crunched "bang for the buck" swimmers). I "bothered" him a lot picking his brain and copied many of his workouts (had to modify them slightly as some were too difficult).

I am honored to have been able to be of some small help:)

Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After some thought about it and I have a lake right here, I decided to just grab the Speedo paddles and hook myself to the front of the old Nautique (inboard waterski boat).

So I was pulling the boat like a tug, my son was in there just in case the authorities needed a report. I swam about 500M tethered up.

Anyway - it was really a good workout. That extra resistance immediately starts to fire the muscle groups differently. I also discovered that I was pulling closer to dropped elbow, so corrected to more over the barrel style and with it greater grip.

Super beneficial so going to continue building strength.

There is a fear around here that paddles create shoulder issues, but I don't think so. Everything I have seen points to stroke recovery causing shoulder pain.

Quote Reply
Re: Adult Onset Swimmer Progress Brag Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
After some thought about it and I have a lake right here, I decided to just grab the Speedo paddles and hook myself to the front of the old Nautique (inboard waterski boat).

So I was pulling the boat like a tug, my son was in there just in case the authorities needed a report. I swam about 500M tethered up.

Anyway - it was really a good workout. That extra resistance immediately starts to fire the muscle groups differently. I also discovered that I was pulling closer to dropped elbow, so corrected to more over the barrel style and with it greater grip.

Super beneficial so going to continue building strength.

There is a fear around here that paddles create shoulder issues, but I don't think so. Everything I have seen points to stroke recovery causing shoulder pain.

That's exactly what I'm experiencing, with the stroke recovery, not the stroke pull, causing shoulder pain. I can go repeatedly all-out on the Vasa and I never have shoulder pain, whereas the moment I start doing pool swims longer than 75 mins, I start to get shoulder pain, and if I keep doing workouts that long, my shoulder gets inflamed and becomes the primary limiter for my swimming. It was really frustrating for me pre-Vasa to have to back off vol/intensity the moment I started exceeding 6hrs/wk of swimming - I never have that problem anymore as I keep my pool swims <45 mins and do the longer stuff on the machine. Pulling hard hasn't caused any problems whatsoever for my sensitive shoulders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats very good, for a couple years. Looks like you are a 1;06 to 1;10 wetsuit ironman swimmer, some people swim their whole lives and never get that fast. You got all the low hanging fruit, now grind it to a legit hour!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam my first tri in 2011 and finished my oly swim in 38:02 which is about a 2:23 pace. The following year I managed a 2:10 pace followed up 2014 with a 1:50 pace. This year I have managed to get to a 1:40 per 100m pace with no flip turns. Still feel like I have tons of room for improvement with ankle flexibility stronger core and better catch with me left arm when I breathe to the right. I would be very happy to hold a 1:20 some day. Currently 47 years old.

Twitter@Forsey37
Last edited by: Forsey: May 24, 15 20:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next