Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Big Ring 53, 54, 55 [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like you're annoyed, so I guess singing lessons are over.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Ring 53, 54, 55 [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been reading the posts and opinions and thought I would chime in. My feeling is that if you are going to put on a bigger ring, you better be able to push it with your existing gearing in the back. Otherwise, why bother. I have always used an 11-23 in the rear, and I would spin out on flats and downhills so I opted for the 55/42 and I never looked back. I kept the 11-23 in the rear. Now, I am experimenting with a 56/44 up front, 11-23 in the rear and longer crank arms (177.5's now, 180's when they come in) Its somewhat of an experiment, but with the 56 and the 177.5's, I am happy and flying.

I doubt I will ever go back to a 53, but I might put on a 54 if I did a long hilly IM. Since I started using the bigger gears, my splits have constantly improved, and I am feeling better running off the bike than I did when I used the 53, but I think that has more to do with my position and the fact that I am adapting to pushing the bigger gears.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Re: Big Ring 53, 54, 55 [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although you are annoying, I'm certainly not annoyed. You flatter yourself that your neuroses are somehow universal and that others think you are as important as you perceive yourself to be.

I repeat: When you make accusations like that, you need to defend them or apologize. You did neither.

Not that I'm waiting for you to suddenly show class...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Big Ring 53, 54, 55 [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] There was a very tense moment as I rounded a very soft, high-speed curve. There was just a small bump in the road - hardly visible - but enough to get me airborn... This squid came very close to inking his shorts.
[/reply]

Heheheh I did about the same following a friend down a huge hill in upstate NY. Lazy S-bend at the bottom with a BRIDGE in the middle. I got air on the pavement transition at both ends at about 62-63mph....almost literally scared the shit outta me! I was coasting, couldn't imagine trying to pedal down that monster. I think the most I've ever seen on my cadence was in the 150s, I don't think there's any way I could get to 180. I spun out a 42/11 today at 42mph (140rpm), not sure I could produce any power at any higher rpm.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Big Ring 53, 54, 55 [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"almost literally scared the shit outta me!"

That sudden realization of one's own mortality. I always used to attack downhills, especially long ones with high-speed curves. I realized, not long ago, that I'm too old and brittle to deal with the potential result of a flat, a suicidal squirrel, a deer, or any one of a long list of shit that could potentially happen. Now I let up at around 45 or 50... except in races!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Project much?! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Although you are annoying, I'm certainly not annoyed. You flatter yourself that your neuroses are somehow universal and that others think you are as important as you perceive yourself to be.

I repeat: When you make accusations like that, you need to defend them or apologize. You did neither.

Not that I'm waiting for you to suddenly show class...
LMFAO!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next