Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Du Worlds, arrived in Newcastle..SICK
Quote | Reply
Just arrived to Newcastle for the Du worlds, and what a beautiful place. It sits along the coast with beautiful beaches, with lots of surf. Too bad we aren't swimming here. The course is a killer. Relatively flat run, but the bike goes only up or down. There are 4 loops on the bike, which is going to make a nightmare for the race directors and competitors. They have small time gaps between the starts, and I figure that up to 80% of the field could be on the loop at one time. Many of the down hills are switchbacks, so there will be people doing the paper boy up, while others are going 100k an hour cutting tangents down. To top it off, you ride to the left here, and pass on the right. It should be quite an E ticket ride'

Unfortunately for me, I got up two mornings ago with my first cold of the season. I'm craming all the usual pills and potions, but I've just adjusted my goal to beating one guy in my age group. I always set my sights low so that I can always go home with some satisfaction. They are calling for rain on Sunday during the pro race, that should be interesting. It will really be interesting if it comes a day early for our race. They have over 1200 racers, which I though was pretty good for a Du worlds, and the people here are great.

I'll post some updates here after the ag race tomorrow, does anyone still care about duathlon???
Quote Reply
Re: Du Worlds, arrived in Newcastle..SICK [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why in the world would you of all people be racing in a duathlon? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty,

get rid of that cold!!! If you don't, at least come to Hawaii healthy. Hook up and take John McGovern and Greg Sabo for a couple of brews.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Du Worlds, arrived in Newcastle..SICK [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why in the world would you of all people be racing in a duathlon? :)

Hey, I resamble, I mean resent that remark. I'll have you know that in 1989 I made the pro US duathlon team. Had to run the fastest 5k of my life to start it with(15:45), then it went on to a 8 loop criterium style course. It had 11 turns in each loop, so I was able to smoke the lousy bike handlers in the group, (all of them), and then hang on while a small parade passed me on the last run. Made the world duathlon team, which I never did as a pro triathlete. Kind of funny when you think about it, since swimming is my best sport.

Seriously, I did my first duathlon this year in over a dozen years because an old friend puts it on, and it just happened to be a world qualifyier. By some magic of roll down I got a slot, and I looked this place up on the net and saw it has some great surf spots. In fact for you surfing experts out there, Mark Richards(former world champ)comes from here. And it's just a puddle jump to Hawaii for the tri worlds next week, so I figured why not???
Last edited by: monty: Sep 22, 05 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are we going to see you in Kona?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that howling at the moon on the dot of midnight in a naked, drunken handstand conducting in a blow up kiddy wading pool will ease all aches and pain while chasing out the cold cooties. Or so I've heard. Good luck!

See you at Worlds.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Best of luck with the cold and the race. I really mean this in jest, but after your Kansas City post I just cant help myself, so here goes. Roll Down spot!! Surely you aren't accepting a roll down spot and risk getting in the way of the people from other countries who legitimately qualified. Just kidding;-)

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Du Worlds, arrived in Newcastle..SICK [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you are kidding, but I did do the race, and I believe every country uses rolldowns for quatlifyiers. They just gave out the 3 slots alloted to them, so it didn't roll very far. Big difference from "Come one, come all." No need to race, in fact join the gold membership and this years worlds could be your first ever triathlon...

"Can't we all just get along?" Rodney King, African American motorist ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G'day and welcome to Oz Monty, hope you enjoy your stay.

If you are still coming down to Cronulla shoot me a message.

There is a BBQ at Chris McCormack shop on thursday night 6pm, to farewell all the locals heading to hawaii.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty,

One of my best friends is in the race with you. I was wondering if they've indicated a website for race information, kind of like ironmanlive??? I really want to see the race or at least the results.

Good luck. Kick some ass and REPRESENT for your peeps!

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply