Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: January/February Marathon [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Austin Marathon (formerly Motorola) in February is a great race. The course has changed this year and reportedly is faster than before.

I reside in San Diego now, but recently relocated from the northern Cascades of Washington state where cold temps and lots of snow are the norm for winter training. I ran Austin last year and trained through the winter in sub-freezing temps (a low of 12 degrees and commonly 22 degrees). I did a lot of my tempo runs indoors to avoid slippage, but was able to complete almost all of slower, long runs outdoors (with the exception of one three hour stint on the treadmill). If you have access to trails or dirt roads, they are better (i.e. less slippery) than pavement when it is icy. I adjusted my speedwork to days when the ice/snow melted from the track, except for one ugly session of Yasso 800s - at 2:50s - on the treadmill at Gold's Gym. The muscle boys thought I was insane.

As for training in 10-30 degrees and racing in 65+ degrees, I did not find it a problem, but (obviously) watching hydration on race day will be key.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hyannis in late February on the Cape. Two-loop course with some rolling hills that goes along the shore by Craigville Beach for a stretch (that part can suck if it's a cold windy day). It's a good race though and you wouldn't have to worry about training in the cold for a warm-weather race if you were looking go down south or out west.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two that I can recommend:

1. Austin

2. Tampa - 2/26/06

http://www.tampabayrun.com/...fm?publicationID=309

Flat, fast, not to cold, small crowds and easy airport and lodging access.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're training in the North, I would look for a race that is not too far south (at least not too hot). I ran the Disney Marathon this year after slogging out endless miles in the snow and rain in Michigan. Here it was 20-30 degrees with bitter winds.. Race day started @ 60 and rose to 85 degrees by finish time. My body had a difficult time with the adjustment.

I have no problem training in the winter, in fact I kinda like it. But my body reacts much differently in different temperatures.

This year I'm doing Kiawah Island SC, December 10.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [Zock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Zock, where did you used to live? I norm low of 22 degrees in Washington? Did you live at the summit of Mt. Adams?

-Colin (spent most of my live in western WA)

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey!

I live in NY, too, (NYC). Did Disney in '02. Mebbe it's more popular now, but if you've ever dona a race anywhere near the size of NYC Marathon, (30K - ish) - then Disney won't seem crowded. There were lik, 12K folks that year.

Expensive, yeah.

There were some cool things & not so much; totally bizarre 6am start, (w/ fireworks) - so running in the dark for an hour, costumed Disney characters all over the course. - funny! But then again you were only in the parks for a few minutes, and then it was miles & miles of plain ol' highways btw. the theme parks. It's a mix. I stayed at a Courtyard Marriot on the Disney property - so, good access to parks but less expensive than the resorts. And it was kinda fun just being at Disney.

Weather-wise, the fall of '01 was freakishly warm, it was 70's in December, so I totally lucked out. Equally bizarre was the 45 degree rainy weather in Orlando for the actual race. That was kinda suck-y.

Another race to consider, the Motorola Marathon, I think it's near Dallas, in Jan or Feb.

Good luck.

BTW - I tried to be good, but ended up partying way too much for the holidays, even tho' I knew I had a race coming up. No regrets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am RD of the 38th annual Birch Bay Marathon; Feb. 19 2006. Cold, wind, rain and 26.2 scenic miles provided for a mere $20. No bands, no t-shirts, no wimps, but there should be some aid every 3 miles or so. Come suffer with the hardcore - we had about 30 runners this year but I expect to double that next year.

If you're really cheap the unofficial Birch Bay marathon on 10 December is entirely free; it does usually have one aid station but don't bet on it. Usually a dozen idiots show up for this mauling. Grassroots marathon at its finest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Mercedes mini-marathon in Birmingham last Feb. Marathon as well. Hilly course, pretty well supported. Great value. It was $50, got a cotton l/s tee, a dri-fit finisher's shirt, medal with big Mercedes emblem, other stuff too. Great BBQ buffet after the race, and they give away a Mercedes SUV to one of the participants at the end. Plan on doing this race every year. Weather was perfect running weather, low 60's, high 50's, shorts and long sleeve t's were perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [trinhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Sounds like a good one actually. I've done NYC and I'm not a big fan of large races, so this would be a nice change. I'll keep it on my radar.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colin,

I lived on the east side of the Cascades in the foothills between Wenatchee and Leavenworth. Plenty of snow and lots of days under 30 degrees Dec-Feb. I've loved the move south to San Diego, but it is amazing how quickly I've become a puss when it comes to training in anything less than perfect weather. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come to Miami, doesnt get better than that... Temperature should be in the mid 60's. The marathon route is mainly Miami beach (including 2 causeways) downtown/brickell and coconut grove. All nice areas, no service roads like Disney.

I am doing the half and got an email today saying that they are expecting 10,000 total.

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a well-reviewed race. A little worried about being the "Northerner" some mention on marathonguide.com that they see having trouble with the humidity. Also, Fleck makes a good point about the toll marathon training might take on tri training (a few weeks taper/a few weeks recovery). The Miami half is on my radar as well.

Thanks.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Humidity in January, early in the morning shouldnt be an issue... now if you are talking august!!!

I was planning on doing the full distance but the time commitment is so much for that I decided just to do the half and save me the agravation with the family (have some other events coming so have to pick your fights). Is still a nice course for the half, mainly Miami Beach and downtown and the time commitment to properly train is not even close to doing the full...

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Las Vegas Marathon is supposed to be new and improved.

It was nothing to make the trip for when I did it in 2000, but they've been promoting it widely this year with promises of changes and good things.

It is a Feb. event, I think.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply

Prev Next