Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what size to buy for rollers?
Quote | Reply
gang, i'm all new to rollers, and this will be my first season with them. the goal is to train on them about 3 times a week, for 30 or 45 minutes--pretty intense sessions that accomplishes alot (in terms of intensity of workout, technique development, etc).

with that said, i've seen that there are different sizes of tubes for the rollers. 4.5 inches or so, on down to 2.5 or so. Smaller being the most difficult.

as a beginner who is interested in a long term investment with the rollers, what is the appropriate size to buy?

i don't want to buy something that i "grow out of" in one year because the resistance is too easy. but for someone at my level, perhaps that is a ridiculous concern. you tell me.

thanks for any advice,

kittycat

PS--i'm mostly interested in the Kreitler brand.
Last edited by: kittycat: Aug 29, 05 6:04
Quote Reply
Re: what size to buy for rollers? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As small as possible! In my opinion, the only thing you can really do on the large diameter rollers is spin. That's all well and good, but if you want a more intense workout, you need one of those mag units or fans or something like that. WIth the smaller drums, you can spin or get a tough workout, just by using the gearing on your bike. Then you don't need any extra resistance accessory.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kitty,

I would recommend the 4.5 inchers. Here's why: since they offer the least amount of resistance (btw, a relative concept), you will be able to use larger gears while riding them. With larger gears, your wheel speed will be higher and the gyroscopic effect of the wheels will be greater. This means greater stability and the ability to ride straighter and more smoothly. Greater stability will also help your comfort level in an inherently uncomfortable endeavor. Also, I doubt that you'll run out of resistance. Depending upon the gearing on your bike, if you have a 53x12 you'll be crying Uncle well before you reach the 12. The only way you won't have enough resistance will be if you pedal in the 70-80 rpm range. Rollers are made to spin fast on, and the faster you spin in any gear, the more resistance you'll create. Finally, if you do become the uber-roller woman, you can always add the Killer Headwind unit (a Kreitler option) for more resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have extra small rollers (six small drums that do not spin very freely) and they offer too much resistance with normal gearing.

I would suggest getting larger drums and then getting a resistance attachment later if you decided you need/want more resistance.

I have not ridden the small drummed 3 roller sets and can't offer a real opinion on their resistance curve.

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Dyno-Lyte's (3" roller) are great. If you outgrow that unit in terms of resistance you can always add the headwind fan. My wife and I use that model (with extensions) on the tandem and have no complaints.

Welcome to the rollers. Stick with them and you should see nice results wrt pedal stroke and bike handling. In a couple of months you will be able to start and stop without holding on to a support.
Quote Reply
Re: what size to buy for rollers? [180cranks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everybody for the suggestions. I went ahead and got the Kreitler Challenger rollers, I pick them up Friday, and hopefully won't bust my arse too badly. HAHA!!

my bike shop, campus cyclery ( in cincinnati ) recommended this model the most. they know all about my bike skills (or lack thereof...LOL!!) and said this model would help me balance, and I would have plenty of resistence in the future to keep me plenty busy.

So, I'm nervous, but dropping the dough will make me ride them consistently.

It's like sunglasses...I buy raybans so I don't loose them. If i pay only 15 bucks, they're lost in 2 days. LOL! I've had one pair of raybans for 5 years, and another pair for 2. hey, for some people, this works. :)

thanks again,

kittycat

PS--and before any of you go calling me an idiot, i did look on ebay quite a bit. the model i'm interested in were almost as much as buying them new. plus, i'm impatient and didn't want to wait for a one of a kind deal. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember: RIDE IN A DOORWAY!!!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: what size to buy for rollers? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, i'll ride in a door way. for more than 5 minutes too. :)
Quote Reply