Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clm, strong and capable and can throw a punch

you just keep getting cooler and cooler girl :)

kitty
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"clm, strong and capable and can throw a punch"

Now I am not sure about this. I am ok with strong and capable, but what is with "can throw a punch?"

Cathy, chime in and Kitty how did you read it?

My first thought is that if I read this from I guy, I would be thinking about little man's disease. From a girl?
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought is that if I read this from I guy, I would be thinking about little man's disease. From a girl?

JR might not be talented, but she's influential.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Napolian Syndrome...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]"clm, strong and capable and can throw a punch"

Now I am not sure about this. I am ok with strong and capable, but what is with "can throw a punch?"

Cathy, chime in and Kitty how did you read it?

My first thought is that if I read this from I guy, I would be thinking about little man's disease. From a girl?[/reply]

Simple...like kitty, I spar. In a ring, for real. Not so much now, but in the past, though I still work out Wednesday nights with my black belt for fun and a little break from swim/bike/run.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new dove soap models

Quote | Reply
Fair enough, nothing more to it. As someone here has pointed out, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewsflASH!!!

If you think those skinny stick insect models are healthy YOU"RE NUTS! Tossing your cookies after every meal is not healthy, a pack of laxatives a day is not healthy, a pack of cigarettes a day is not healthy, cocaine and amphetamines is not healthy, starvation is not healthy.

Those uber skinny women are unnatural and unhealthy and just because they grace the covers of so called "health" magazines does not make them so. They will all likely fall victim to digestive problems, osteoporosis, cancer, infertility, drug addiction, menal health problems or all of the above as soon as their 3 year modeling careers are over.

Healthy women carry a few lbs of fat. Most of them carry it on their butts and thighs. 3o years ago Jayne Mansfield was the biggest sex symbol in the world, she was as "big" if not bigger than any of those Dove women. We have been conditioned by ad executives and fashionistas to find skinny attractive.

Personally I prefer a few curves myself. My wife is a marathon runner and triathlete and has a "Dove" figure....she promised never to try and change me if I promised never to ask her to lose weight...NO FREAKIN BRAINER FOR ME!!!!! She is 100 times fitter and healthier than any anorexic chick in a Victoria's Secret catalog.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in 100% agreement here.

People don't understand that models you see frequently are very young, sometimes 15-18 years old, naturally very thin, well photogrphed with lots of hard work and often stick to a strict and difficult regimen of diet and training for their work.

People often bemoan a character like socialite and bon vivant Paris Hilton. The truth is, the woman is a savy businessperson who markets her own brand and identity and works hard modelling for Guess and others. She doesn't have to as heiress to an enormous hotel fortune. But she works 14-16 hour days for days on end earning huge bucks. Of course, the rewards are there- commensurate with the dedication to the lifestyle.

However, it isn't easy, it isn't "real" in the sense that it is common or ordinary and I think people have a difficult time identifying with it. I wager it is pretty lonely too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't care if you stop buying Dove soap. Fat people have more surface area and will therefore require more soap. Skinny folks don't have enough skin to wash. More soap and moisturizer companies should market their products towards the obese.
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they sweat more too. more showers needed and more skin area. win-win

Quote | Reply
Newsflash -- We keep beating the same dead horse over and over again.

It has been written A LOT -- that Anorexic is BAD.

But being FAT is also bad.

THE FACTS ABOUT OVERWEIGHT AND OBESITY
  • 61% of adults in the United States were overweight or obese (BMI > 25)* in 1999.
  • 13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of adolescents aged 12 to 19 years were overweight* in 1999. This prevalence has nearly tripled for adolescents in the past 2 decades.
  • The increases in overweight and obesity cut across all ages, racial and ethnic groups, and both genders.
  • 300,000 deaths each year in the United States are associated with obesity.
  • Overweight and obesity are associated with heart disease, certain types of cancer, type 2 diabetes, stroke, arthritis, breathing problems, and psychological disorders, such as depression.
  • The economic cost of obesity in the United States was about $117 billion in 2000

1. Anorexic is NOT ok and should be viewed as such.

2. Obese should also be looked upon as bad. And not made to be acceptale and OK.

A "few pounds" over weight is NOT FAT.

A 5'5" woman who weighs 180 pounds is more than a "few pounds" over weight.

What the REAL problem is... a 5'5" woman who weighs 135 pounds thinks she is fat when more than likely she is just few pounds overweight (she could be ideal weight depending on muscular structure and bone structure) -- Then you have that 5'5" woman who is 180 pounds and "accepts the way she is" -- keeps pounding the cold stone ice cream and crispy creme donuts -- and says "well, maybe I am a few pounds over weight"

Now you are saying "Why do you care??" Because I have four sisters, two daughters, and Five neices, several who are all over weight -- it "runs in the family" -- but as two sisters have shown and one neice -- even when it "runs in the family" it can be controled through proper diet and exersize.

One sister is having her gal bladder removed (she is fat) -- for years and years and years I have tried to get her to change her diet and start exersizing. Not do triathlons or get super fit -- just go walk the dogs, anything. She reply's with "Fat Power" and all this other crap. Of course she complains her knees hurt when she walks (gee, I wonder why)

I would like my family to be healthy and happy and live a long life.

I see an ad campaign that says it's OK to be Fat. I do not want my daughters to think that. AND I also do not want my daughters to think Anorexic is beautiful and OK -- because it is NOT.

Signed -- a guy who weighed 230 pounds in 1993 and started doing triathlons in 1994, by 1995 I was 170 pounds and today I still weigh 170 pounds. I am younger now than I was in 1993.
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And destroy Nintendo, X-box, and all computer games. Put a ball, bat, fishing pole (because we used to ride our bikes to the river), tent, etc. in the kids hands and kick 'em out the door to spend the days outside. No more excuses!!

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]hey doug, can you spare a quiche recipe??

seriously i'd love to try one...[/reply]

well the details are encoded (written down on a piece of paper somewhere in my wife's extensive cookbook library) but the high points are:
- whether making your own pastry or using the store-bought shells, make sure to pre-bake the shell. This is key to getting light crunchy pastry rather than a soggy glob.
- I used to specialize in a smoked trout with broccoli number. The trout I caught and prepared myself, which gives it a little extra savour, but isn't really necessary. Store-bought is fine. A few capers judiciously introduced into the mix here is good. The broccoli should be introduced briefly to salted boiling water, just until it turns that vivid green, to avoid overcooking.
- mushrooms are good but need considerable pre-cooking, otherwise the liquid released during baking will prevent the quiche from setting up properly.

The problem I always had was the girls who thought cooking them a quiche was cool, were upset that I went fishing: the girls who thought catching trout was kinda cool, were alarmed that I could make quiche..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ok I am confused, Madison Ave uses skinny beautiful people that 99.98% of the population will never be and they get hammered over how they distort little girls body images and set an unrealistic picture of life."

These are the women complaining.

"Now they use "regular" women and people are freaking about that?"

These are the men complaining.

It just depends on which audience you're speaking to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Stacy is cute.

Haven't read the whole thread. Not interested in 1,000 different opinions on what beauty is.

Here's what I am interested in ... I know very few people that apply the strict standards they impose on others when evaluating themselves. It's amazing how fast one's standards lower when they are applied to one's self. Evaluating on a biased curve to say the least.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the posts on this thread fall into one of the following four groups:

1. People who want a medal for being fat.
2. People who want a medal for being skinny.
3. Dudes trying to suck up to chicks (both fat and skinny).

and

4. Intelligent and polite posters with highly developed critical reasoning skills (aka Mr. Sparticus).
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Eddy Would Go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add a fifth group:

5. Dudes, for god knows what reason, trying to suck up to other dudes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...Personally I prefer a few curves myself... she is 100 times fitter and healthier than any anorexic chick in a Victoria's Secret catalog.

This pisses me off. Dude, there isn't a single anorexic chick in Vicky's catalog. That isn't anorexia. Think more like that Olsen twin or Jack Nicholson's GF (forgot her name). Most of the VS girls DO have curves, and natural ones, by the way.

Like I said earlier, beauty is subjective. Yet... there's a reason that supposedly all these ad execs have conditioned us to think that Heidi Klum, etc., are the ideal. It's because to many, if not most, of us guys, THEY ARE. And so is a Ferrari Modena. But it doesn't mean I don't find an Infiniti G35, or even a VW Taureg, aesthetically pleasing, too. The ad execs haven't fooled me into thinking McDonald's is good food.

Finally -- and this is key -- who says we *all* have to be beautiful? Why do "fat" people have to get all up in arms over being thought of as fat or unattractive? I ain't no Brad Pitt, and I'm just fine with it. However, unlike many of the "fat power" chicks, I also don't get mad or defensive about it, nor do I say that it's unfair to idolize Pitt's appearance just because I can't achieve that.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Eddy Would Go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the third group.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, we have a sixth category:

6. Dudes who determine which category they are in.
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the women in those photos are overweight by the BMI definition. I'd guess the woman on the front right weighs about 145 and is about 5'5".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stacy is cute, but she is only in college now. she has some heavier years ahead of her. These women are actually fitter than 30% of the "athletes" at IMNA race. Hows that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next