Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign.
Quote | Reply
Have you guys seen this? I think it is absolutely, 100% awesome. Seriously. It is super cool.

Perhaps one of the things that is most roubling and bothersome about some athletes (myself included sometimes) is this whole body-image thing. The constant notion that we are not thin enough to put on race clothes, not tan enough, not buff enough.

I looked at this website after seeing a story about the campaign on CNN.com and seeing a TV commercial.

First off, the featured women- average "down the middle" women off the street of America, are pretty much all adorable.

Secondly, I like things like this that re-write what is supposed to be our concept of what beauty "should be". Check it out, it is really quite nice:

http://www.dove.com/default.asp

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/

You'll have to scroll down a trifle to the video news section:

http://www.cnn.com/

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I typically agree with you but not this time. I was at Hollwood & Highland last night for a charity event and they have this billboards all over the place. I'm sorry but most of the women in them are simply fat. I think that this supports the image that being fat is normal. Being fat is not any more normal than being anorexic. People need to accept responsibility for there body and what they put into it. These ads undermine that teaching.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the Stacy girl highlighted in the photo I copied into my thread is adorable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got to much time on your hands. What are you doing on Dove's website anyway, looking for moisturizer or just something to soften up your hands? Seriously you find some of the strangest things but they're definately entertaining.
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [weak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes other people point these things out to me, and I do read several news sources and media outlets every day. It is part of the daily intelligence dump.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beauty is a personal thing. Some of those girls are cute, some a sticks, and yes some are fat.

Find someone/thing that makes you happy. the end.

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the women they have on the website are not fat. Puh-lease.

Sure they could stand to lose 5-10lbs, but so could most of North America (and then some). Me included.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stacy is fine and a few of them are not fat but damn if they didn't put a HUGE billboard up of the fat one.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stacy's a fox.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Stacy is fat, then we all need to reaccess out concept of body image.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the stuff you post I just had a hard time picturing you tracking it down. You don't strike me as the type of guy that pays much attention to the kind of soap you have in the bathroom, but then again you do own a cat :) I still gotta go against you on this one. Besides what's up with that big ass tat on the one chicks leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also a difference between "curves" and "ripples."
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat girls have more washable surface, therefore need and use more soap per shower - smart marketing by Dove.

Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Stacy is not fat but Julie is:

Edit: Imagine this 40 feet tall... nuf said.

----------

Last edited by: swmrdrn: Jul 21, 05 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Stacy babe reminds me of my wife. Yowza!
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost choked on my water when I read that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are as real women as slim women.

Just a ploy to sell products to fat women.

Steel is real, fat women are real. Therefore, Alu is artificial, Ti is artificial, slim women are artificial - what a lot of bollocks.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the girls on the Today show this week. Thought they all looked like prety average girls. All seemed very comfortable and confident with themselves, which to me is the key to attractivness.

And it's not like it's every womans job to be attractive to me.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, this girl is NOT fat, she is actually quite attractive. Come on man- we are talking real world here. If I saw this girl and wasn't dating anyone I would feel she is attractive.

This is a purposely unflattering pose. Almost any other pose and she would look different by far.

I just don't think she is fat. And therein lies the point of me posting this entire thread. I think some of our socially accepted concepts of what fat is are totally out of whack.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Chuck M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<very comfortable and confident with themselves, which to me is the key to attractivness.>>

Probably because you don't hit it with the chicks.

Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Chuck M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"All seemed very comfortable and confident with themselves, which to me is the key to attractivness."

Exactly! Thank you....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<All seemed very comfortable and confident with themselves>>

Let me share with you a small secret - they are actresses who got paid to communicate that they are comfortable.

Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [weak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

that's funny

Quote | Reply
[reply]dude, this girl is NOT fat, she is actually quite attractive. Come on man- we are talking [i]real world [/i]here. If I saw this girl and wasn't dating anyone I would feel she is attractive.

This is a purposely unflattering pose. Almost any other pose and she would look different by far.

I just don't think she is fat. And therein lies the point of me posting this entire thread. I think some of our socially accepted concepts of what fat is are totally out of whack.

[img]http://gamma.applepics.com/7/userfiles/42dff8365dc9e.jpg[/img][/reply]

In SoCal she is fat. If you ran her BMI it believe that would confirm my opinion. Of course we all know that you like them a bit on the round side. :)

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Not OT: The Dove Soap "Real Women" ad campaign. [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, Pluto. Well guys, I might as well come clean.

There is no such person as Tom Demerly. That was a concept invented by the ad agency BBD&O as a revolutionary method of using public forums for guerilla marketing.

The fictional character, "Tom Demerly" is a synthtic personna demographically tuned to the target audience- part adventure/endurance athlete, part James Bond fictional character, part everyman so the guy off the street can still connect to him.

Tom Demerly and his attendant fictional lifestyle were built at a cost of over $15 million dollars by the sharpest minds in the advertising industry. He currently is a marketing vehicle for Cervelo bicycles, Ford MOtoer Company, World Triathlon Corporation, Dove Soap, Pom Juice, Ripped Fuel, Asics shoes and a long list of other forward thinking clients looking for an under the radar marketing strategy to deliver the message about their products.

The irony is, some people not only believe Tom Demerly is a real person, not a synthetic character built by a commitee of the sharpest marketing minds, but they will tell you they have actually met him, as he is portrayed by a New York actor and fashion model who earns over $8 million each year masquerading as the fictional, synthetic "Tom Demerly" marketing chracater.

It did take a shrewd person to see through this though, and now the truth can be told.

The ad agency is currently working on a concpet for him to marry Stacy from the Dove marketing campaign in a highly publisized wedding to market wedding products and then go through a messy divorce to market a new line of "rediscover your indentity" books along with "recover from loss and seperation" workshops.

Absolute genius.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next