Prev Next
Re: How Bout that Tiger [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tibbs lives in San Antonio, not Dallas!"

My bad... I fixed the post.
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe not the greatist right at this point, but well on his way to becoming the greatist:

Jack Nicklaus: 18 Majors (6 Masters, 4 US Opens, 3 British Opens, 5 PGA Champs)

Walter Hagen: 11 Majors (0 Masters, 2 US Opens, 4 British Opens, 5 PGA Champs)

Tiger Woods: 10 Majors (4 Masters, 2 US Opens, 2 British Opens, 2 PGA Champs)

Ben Hogan: 9 Majors (2 Masters, 4 US Opens, 1 British Open, 2 PGA Champs)

Gary Player: 9 Majors (2 Masters, 1 US Open, 5 British Opens, 0 PGA Champs)

the thing that impressed me was Fred Couples charge to the finish shooting a final round 68 to take 3rd and almost catch Monty.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, because Bobby Jones only won 7 open championships and 6 amateur championships in a seven year period, then retired from the game after winning the Grand Slam, he is not one of the greatest?

Wow... What exactly do you need to do to get in this club?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How long is his career going to last? How long will he be able to keep winning? "

For a long time Brian!

The guy has an awesome workout schedule.
He's strong ,super low resting HR.
Max bench press(free-weights) of 355 lbs!

Dude- how many golfers are as healthy as Tiger?.........not even a contest!

A lot of the Pros out there are jiggling their men boobies on TV,sweating as they walk hole to hole, granted, being a super fit guy or gal is not a pre-requisite to be a pro golfer,but, one's career might be extended and be more consistent if good fitness is part of their regimen.

He reminds me of Jordan.
A real student of the game.
Born with the passion,will die with the passion.

I think he put the game of Golf ,in terms of popularity, where it is today.
If he gets on a streak now that the British is over he just might tear it up.

Thats what the greats do......they use the criticism,and the negatives as fuel.

Enjoy the great ones while they're around,because they are as rare as Hen's teeth!

Look what happened to the NBA after MJ,Bird and MAgic retired.
Its OK these days,but, I hardly watch a game anymore.

I have a feeling once Armstrong retires, the TdF will be popular,but, not in the same way.....you can take that to the bank.

In my lifetime and yours, nobody will even come close to 6 let alone the possibilty of 7 TdF victories.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't get your panties in a wad John. I think that Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan are two of the greatest golfers ever to have played the game. The above list was merely a statistical listing of golfers that have won 9 or more Majors. It's a statistic, not an opinion. I agree with you, Bobby Jones was one of the greats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in his day, the amateurs were majors. Somewhere along the line, everyone forgot that.

Oh, for the record, my panties are not in a wad, and as a matter of fact, I haven't worn panties in weeks...

JA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys don't know what the hell you are talking about. Jack played in many more tournaments than Tiger. Tiger only focuses on the majors and doesn't care about the other races, I mean tournaments. Tiger has a great team around him for support. I know from a very good friend of a friend of my cousin that Tiger is doping. I also played junior golf with Tiger and he was a real jerk.
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know from a very good friend of a friend of my cousin that Tiger is doping.

Are you kidding? Can't read your sarcasm. If you are serious that in itself sounds utterly stupid! Stop spreading dumb rumors.

BTW, JN had 32 PGA wins to Tigers 58 at the same age (29). Tiger does not focus solely on majors. Where have you been the last 10 years, obviously not watching the PGA.

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotcha ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, Even Jack agrees that to make it right those stats should include ameture championships.
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [giuseppe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha...ha... ;-)

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OT - "I do agree that Monty did much more work and deserved the win"

Guiseppe - "I know from a very good friend of a friend of my cousin that Tiger is doping. I also played junior golf with Tiger and he was a real jerk."

Two of the funniest lines i have seen in a while - take a bow fellas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian -

If you look at Jack's record, he also had a so-called major "slump" in his late 20s. Tiger is clearly on track to better Jack. Tiger is also playing against a far deeper, more impressive field. I think both of them, however, will go down as the greatest of all time, even if Tiger "bests" Jack, unless he just abolishes Jack's major record. I don't think it is likely - he'll probably be within a major or two, on either side.

Jack is a man with tremendous class and sportsmanship. he is an icon. Interestingly, unlike Tiger, early in his career with was not liked at all. He was jeered. He was considered boring and stiff. Everyone loved Arnie, and no one wanted to see the young upstart best Arnie. Tiger is the exact opposite. He was embraced from the outset. I think in the end, Tiger will have a deeper impact on this great sport, including "democracizing" a sport that has always been deemed somewhat elitist.

How cool is it in our lifetime to see the likes of Jack, Tiger, Lance, MJ, Gretzky, Anika and others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there, Gary McCord, perhaps you should do a little research into the career of Jack, you will find a couple of periods where he was in what can only be described as a "slump." Arnie was the king, and Jack was the flash in the pan. When his results tailed off for a little while all the "experts" said "look, we told you he wasn't going to amount to much." 30 years from now, when Tiger is standing on the bridge at St. Andrews, you will be telling all your mates about how you knew he was going to be the greatest from the moment you saw him.

What's your handicap?

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"taking all the unfair blows from the media."

What unfair blows are you talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just quoting the stats from the morning newspaper. I'll be quiet and crawl back into my hole now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is the man..........I saw him on The Tonight Show.....with Johnny Carson......he was maybe 5 or 6 with his dad doing trick shots......

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: How Bout that Tiger [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I don't know...like the comments (SI & CNN)about Tiger ought to admit that firing Butch Harmon was a bad idea,and that he ought to hire him back cause his swing was tanking.

Then there was the diatribe about him getting distracted by his Swedish fiancee,now wife.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah what a slump - second vs. first and what, something like $5m in prize money

wasn't Nicklaus a bit of a hothead on the course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tiger Woods has 10 Majors.

Michael Jackson has had 30 minors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next